Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I meant to ask this when I got my coupe but forgot. What's up with the white dots on the 18" rims that seem to match up with red dots on the tires?

Does this eventually wear off? I tried to get it off the rim but it appears to be painted on!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
mine are still there (6000 miles) but I never tried to take them off.

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
61 Posts
They serve no purpose.
They're marked on the rims by the factory when they mount and balance the tires.

BTW, be careful if you decide to remove them. Someone I know had Infiniti service remove the dots when he took delivery and the poor guy screwed up all 4 rims ended up having to replace the rims. D-oh!

G35 Coupe/6MT/Black/Graphite/Aero

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's back!!!!

Well that sucks. What is that for, to prove that the tires were never removed or something? Guess I'll just deal with them.

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

She's back!!!!

Well that sucks. What is that for, to prove that the tires were never removed or something? Guess I'll just deal with them.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I thought I was the only one annoyed by this. They were also on my sedan. I ended up just getting new wheels. [lol]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I imagine they might be used for some sort of alignment guide? Perhaps a machine scans the wheel/tire for their respective dots and rotates them to the "correct" position before they are combined? [dunno]

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
159 Posts
Actually, the marks do serve a purpose....

When the tire is mounted on the rim, they match the marks to minimize the wheel weights necessary to properly balance the tire.

If the marks were opposite each other, it would take more wheel weights for a perfect balance.

The spots are marked on the 'high' or 'low' spot of the tire and rim, and matched accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts