Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing 2010+ G37x with AT but I wanted to get some input from the community first.

My biggest concern would be related to model / year specific issues that are very difficult to get rid of.

For example my 2010 Legacy GT had a very soft stock suspension that used to sway at higher speeds when on the highway. My 2001 Cadillac Seville STS had vibrations at 60+ as well. Trans ams had weak rear ends etc ...

My research so far as led me to believe that there might be transmission issues with G37.

Is this true for 2010+ models?

Are there are any other issues that might be expensive to fix or hard to get rid of?

Reliability?

Thank you for your time!

M

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
These are good questions for any car purchase. Others here will undoubtedly know more and post some thoughts or comments.

While I can't speak to specifics on that car, it may help to cite your sources on this;

My research so far as led me to believe that there might be transmission issues with G37.

Is this true for 2010+ models?

It implies you've seen enough posts about it to be concerned but 'they' apparently didn't offer much info about what cut-off years those issues started / stopped. What threads or car forums have you seen this? Edmunds and KBB might also provide owner input on certain models and years. I recall seeing a few rants on certain cars there.

With that limited info on transmission issues, it's probably not too hard to find a consensus on owner experiences. That is a good way to investigate. Also, look for TSB or recall info. It should be plentifully on 2010 cars that exhibited problems. Those cars will have 30 to 50 k on the odo by now so I'd think that either passed the reliability test by now or show up as problem cars. Good luck and post your findings !

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
The drivetrain has a long warranty so that should help ease your mind. I think it's 6 years or 70k miles.

I haven't read anything about issues with the auto tranny. I had good luck with my 5at from 2003.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
For example my 2010 Legacy GT had a very soft stock suspension that used to sway at higher speeds when on the highway. My 2001 Cadillac Seville STS had vibrations at 60+ as well. Trans ams had weak rear ends etc ...

Are there are any other issues that might be expensive to fix or hard to get rid of?
To a few other points;

Reliability on Infiniti has always been a plus. In more recent years, I think their sales took some hits and there is a rage (almost) about the new nomenclature - Q-this, Q-that, Q-etc.... but I find that both hilarious and off-topic as per car concerns. I think the JDM marketing guru's ran amok. The one expensive fix they had was oil consumption on a short span of motors in earlier years and they backed it up with a very wide range of miles up to 70k and I don't think they left anyone behind. It was a very successful warranty campaign.

Versus Subaru suspensions, I can't really offer experience but the G coupes have been traditionally tight and responsive IMO, get good handling reviews and this part is almost always subjective because ride quality and firm handling can contradict each other.
I often see car mags/reviews offering opposing reviews on the same car when it comes to suspension and handling so I consider that highly subjective. The G is a bit heavy but considering that, I don't find fault. To me, (mine is stock and OEM parts at 115,000 miles) it's point and shoot nature of going where intended is one of the more impressive features.
The call for suspension mods I read of is mostly personal pref and will indeed improve on stock (as it should on any car) but I'd imagine suffers ride a little bit.

As for comparisons to Caddy and TA's, I'm not snubbing the Domestic market, but handling and transmissions from most JDM is a non issue and although the Big Three have come a long ways since the mid to late 1970's I assure you they will continue their homework to strive for performance, longevity and reputation by comparison to most 'imports'.

:smile2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive a 2011 G37x Sedan, and while it may not be the same year, I feel that I can offer some insight into this car.

Overall, I absolutely adore my baby (see below for picture- Kidding, apparently I can't post images with 0 posts.... lame). The engine is strong and the transmission is great, but finicky at low speeds. The suspension is decent and could be better, compared to BMWs and the like, however we pay a significant amount less, so this is easily overlooked. Also, upgrading the sway bars rear and front can virtually eliminate the suspension concerns all together.

The only issue that I have had thus-far with this car is the Throttle Body/Throttle-Positioning sensor. I had an issue where my throttle wouldn't maintain an RPM. It would turn on, then die. This happened once in Minnesota when it was freezing out, so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it. Overall, it's a small issue that happened twice and I'm not stressing it.

Besides that Throttle Body issue, my main complaint has been my Passenger Door Rattle from the amazing sound-system. And if a Passenger Door rattle is my main complaint, I like to think that the car is pretty damn good! (Besides getting 14.8MPG in the city.....granted, I like the acceleration of this car..

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I drive a 2011 G37x Sedan, and while it may not be the same year, I feel that I can offer some insight into this car.

Overall, I absolutely adore my baby (see below for picture- Kidding, apparently I can't post images with 0 posts.... lame). The engine is strong and the transmission is great, but finicky at low speeds. The suspension is decent and could be better, compared to BMWs and the like, however we pay a significant amount less, so this is easily overlooked. Also, upgrading the sway bars rear and front can virtually eliminate the suspension concerns all together.

The only issue that I have had thus-far with this car is the Throttle Body/Throttle-Positioning sensor. I had an issue where my throttle wouldn't maintain an RPM. It would turn on, then die. This happened once in Minnesota when it was freezing out, so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it. Overall, it's a small issue that happened twice and I'm not stressing it.

Besides that Throttle Body issue, my main complaint has been my Passenger Door Rattle from the amazing sound-system. And if a Passenger Door rattle is my main complaint, I like to think that the car is pretty damn good! (Besides getting 14.8MPG in the city.....granted, I like the acceleration of this car..
Do you suppose the 15 mpg is a derivative of the AWD ? I'd think so but I'm not that familiar with the driver train. On Subaru, they full time. I get about 17 mpg on my coupe.
Glad you like the car. I too think of these as a solid bet all the way around.

Welcome to 6mt .

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I also forget that tire psi of just 2 or 3 diff can offset mpg as well. Even one mpg throws off the tank range by 18 or 20 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a G37S for two years (RWD with 6MT). The suspension on the "S" is rock solid, and I usually down shift and power through turns. It freaking hugs turns when you do this. No problems at all with the transmission, but the previous owner did not break in the clutch properly, and now I'm going through the break-in period on a rebuild.

Gas mileage has been a surprising 23 mpg on the highway, at cruising speed of 80 mph. I keep it on cruise control as much as possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts