Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2175 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Oh no.

What are the chances Bach will have a white Christmas?
Very slim for anything fresh. Tues and Weds are showing 59 and 60 degrees ! Good Gosh. :surprise:

We may have old snow laying in the shadows but it will be ugly.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Crazy Stat Monday

Well, I forgot the Monday stat due to my switch on the work schedule but this one here was something I was going to mention anyways. Maybe it's not that interesting but I find it technologically reassuring.

The new Car & Driver is out with the 10 BEST issue and it is worth mentioning (in my opinion) that the narrowing list to get to the top 10 include many many great cars and scores that were in the 90 to 92 percentile and yet didn't make the grade. To me, that is outstanding to have such a wealth of cars to choose from and further mentioned was the lowest scores or cars from the samples that scored no less than 72 so there are some 'stats'. :grin2:

It was also enlightening to me that the nit picks and praises on these 10 best cars seem to reveal the kinds of features and drivability most of us everyday drivers like and value.
At one time, I thought C and D was getting just a bit too dramatic and elitist about their ideas and standards in cars and it truly seems to me they are more and more (at least lately) talking about cars that most of us can afford and they are actually giving them great reviews. I think they also claim half of these 10-best are under $30k.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
$30k isn't inexpensive but it's less than the average price for a car.
I agree, $30k is a lot and not everyone is wanting a new car when considering the first 2 -3 years depreciation. I do find it encouraging to think a few cars at the new average price or 5 of the Top Ten in that reach though. Pretty impressive.

One can read of these car details and attributes and still consider the 1 to 3 year older version of say, a Mazda, BMW, VW, Caddy or Mustang to get it's earlier variation at a pre-owned cost for 2/3's or less.
No doubt, these new ones have some stunning refinements that make them special but in the line up of Top Ten, often times we see the same cars / models showing up either on consecutive years or within a few, proving the bloodline is often a theme. :smile2:

In this issue, the editors even suggest how to option each car and show that respective MSRP to get the best of the features/performance packages and skip some meaningless ones.

Mazda's Skyactiv term is described as the engineering team fixing little boring things. They study the human arm and muscles associated with shifting the manual or opening the doors, then refine the designs. A big improvement in NVH by most companies was/is thicker glass, more carpet or rubber sound deadening. Now days, the focus is on tolerances and designs that yield reduced friction and improved efficiently;
*54% less valvetrain friction, *A 74% improvement in oil pump efficiency (sounds like the old pump would have killed the motor to me though)... *13% better breathing, *31% more efficient water pump etc......
As per Mazda, this article suggests the best thing to happen is Ford stepping away and letting Mazda do what they have always done best .... on their own. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
R U N damit !!

bach demonstrating loss of horsepower at the ColderBolder 5k on Saturday. Boulder elevation is sub 6000. yay !! I ditched my gloves around mile 2.25 so these are the latter part of the run.

Pic 2: No, I don't know who that woman is. This run is shared by about 2800. The 10k in May had 50,000 runners.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
It's great you took on the challenge. Too bad you let that lady beat you.
It's great you took on the challenge. Too bad you let that lady beat you.
As I approached the finish (slightly uphill) I felt it my duty to be heroic thus allowing women and children to pass me. :grin2: My official numbers are in and I was 772 out of the 1641 in my group, just bit better than the 50% mark.

Stats on this one are not as comprehensive but in the May 10k, I was able to find my results within the Male 53 y/o group and I did about the same .... close to or just better than 50% of the others. It continues to amaze me that I just wake up one day and go do that without croaking or any sincere type of regiment/training. I suppose the intelligent thing to do is stay with it and get a bit more serious if not to be more competitive, at least to be smart about the health aspect.

Looking at the times for the last of the few runners in the the early waves where you usually have to have a qualifying time, I beat the time for 7 or more of them in those first 3 or 4 waves.
I do like the feeling of running my own pace though and not trying to live up to a promised time.

https://youtu.be/ewPbTiCQd8c

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I'm glad you didn't keep over and croak during the race.
Yeah me too. I'd feel terrible if they couldn't count on me buying the tee shirt.

This time around, the kit came with a shirt, hat and optional gloves. The upgrade shirt is a HellyHansen and the gloves were extra but it was a good deal. I think most hat wearers discarded the hat toward the end of the run (I knew I'd be too warm with it at all). I wore the gloves for 2 of the 3 miles.

What others wear can sometimes be an indication of their outdoor prowess. The rule of thumb I've read is dress for about 10 degrees warmer than the real temp if hiking, biking or some outdoor activity like that. Certainly wind and precipitation can complicate matters but my rule is one or two of everything in the car to have with and decide when I get there. You need to start out a bit chilly and 10 minutes in, it's usually feeling like you got it right.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Look at Bachs garage queen.
I have more miles than you on my 37.

Looks like the Honda gets more love.
Ha !! I may be at 116k now. I've lost track. My forecast of 114600 by last Jan was off. Here we are now almost to Jan 2016. I'd make another speculative guess for this coming Jan 1 but my wife's ride is here in the barn tonight.
Finally getting the G in today for the paint work on the surfboard though.

We are getting hammered with a snow storm that was not even in the forecast really.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Dear Bach, what do you want Santa to bring you this year?
I'm really gonna need some clean underwear. And no more thongs either SANTA !

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I've started watching Burn Notice on netflix ..... never seen it before but it's kind of fun and interesting. It's a daunting task but I've got 6 more seasons to go and I'm on S1E7 now. I'll soon be an expert on Florida, or at least Miami. :grin2:

My son is raving about Making a Murderer that is now on n/f. I guess it's pretty good. I'm going to have to get back to making lists of what I'm watching and where I leave off after the season ends.

2021 - 2040 of 2175 Posts