Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a new G35 coupe (6MT, premium, navi, Diamond Graphite/Graphite). I'm pretty seriously jazzed by the car, but I'm a bit concerned about the durability of what appears to be a very vulnerable painted finish on some of the silver plastic interior parts, especially the center console. The two cars I looked at at the New York Auto Show both had numerous deep scratches on them and one of the cars I test drove in New Jersey did as well. These look like they would be quite difficult to fix without a major hassle.

For those of you who own the cars already, how many of you have had a problem with this? How "easy" was it to have happen? Is there a simple way to buff them out or otherwise make them disappear? For the other similarly colored interior parts like the door handles and latches, have scratches been an issue on them as well? I plan to own the car for a good long while and I'd be pretty disappointed if it was too difficult to keep it looking nice and new inside.

I saw the website for the Japanese company that makes aftermarket wood inserts for the G35s (not the 6MT yet, but presumably coming soon) and they look like a good solution, if an expensive one. The console, door handle and shift knob pieces total about US$600. Does anyone know what is involved in the installation of these inserts? Does one remove the original parts or do the woody bits go on top of them? Is a professional installation required or can a fairly handy DIY-er do it himself?

Thanks in advance for any info. Great forum about a really cool car.

PS: my present car is a '95 BMW 325is 5 speed/sport package/Bridgestone Pole Position S03s/otherwise loaded to the gills...a lower performace car to be sure, but it's near mint and has only 60K miles on it. And it's got a full measure of the BMW mojo so it'll be a tough act to follow : )

Ted

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My sport sedan has this silver trim called 'titanium'. I try my hardest to take care of it now that the car is brand new. I have seen various lines that appear like scratches, but then feel relieved when I find out that they are finger oil stains that buff off with a cloth. [angel]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
21 Posts
No scratches on the console yet. And cleaning it off with a soft cloth is easy. I do have a scratch on the aluminum of the passenger door. Don't know how this happened, maybe my a ring put the hair line scratch in it. I don't know what to use to buff it down. Maybe I'll try some car scratch remover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.