Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

does the Cold air intake damage the engine electronics or do any harm at all?

Will i get better ride quality with coilvers than just dropping my car with some springs?

Do you think an exhaust on the g35 will sound ricey?

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
869 Posts
It almost sounds like you are being sarcastic, but I will reply wiht a serious answer none the less.

1). A Cold Air Intake will not damage electronics (unless it is built incorrectly, in which case the MAF might get damaged). The damage may come from the filter being submerged in water and sucking it up. This is still a very rare occurrence, and a little caution on the roads will stop you from driving through lake deep puddles.

2). If you lower your car, you will degrade the ride. There is no further explanation needed, but I will give one. By lowering your car, whether it be coilovers or just springs, you are changing the dynamics of the suspension, which was built for a purpose. Now, there is a way to change the height of your car without changing springs and the dynamics of the suspension, but it is not yet available for the G25, and I would be very surprised if it ever did become available. The best thing I can say is springs that are 1.5" or less of a drop, such as Eibach Pro Kits, will not adversely effect your suspension and the ride will not be compromised too much. Any further of a drop and new shocks/struts are suggested, in which case a full coilover setup with threaded shock bodies would be more suited.

3). In most cases ricey is objective, and your idea of rice may not be the same as mine. If you are talking about that buzzing raspy sound that so many 4cylinder engines make with these untuned inexpensive mufflers, then it would depend on your choice of exhaust. It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to free up some ponies, then find the one that does that and deal with whatever sound it may have. Often a full free flowing exhaust will have a much more raspy note to it, and a simple inline resonator will remove much of that sound, leaving you with the deep throaty sound that we all desire.

I hope my explaination was detailed enough for you[:D]

AIM: Sirmilton3
MSN: [email protected]

2000 Civic SiR | Vogue Silver Metallic | ITR Leather | RH EVO C2's | VTEC

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Milt, I'm not concerned with a less comfortable ride. My main concern is performance since I autocross. In your opinion, do you think the Eibach springs will enhance the performance over my stock sport springs, or will it make it handle worse? Gard, I'd like to hear your opinion on this too since you're also an autocross guy. Anyone else who might have an opinion too. Thanks guys.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm with Lead. Sometime in the future, I see the Eibach kit making its way over to my coupe. But not if it doesn't improve handling performance, such as roll during cornering, brake dive, etc.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Lowering springs will lower your center of gravity, which in turn will allow for more precise and faster cornering. The benefits of lowering often outweigh the drawbacks. You may even find that the camber caused by lowing your car will help you in cornering also. I suggest that if you want to extend the cornering and controllability of the car for autoX, get coilovers and uprated sway bars. Stiffen he chassis and have full control over the dampening and the ride height. Also spring rate may become important to you, and this is where my knowledge gets fuzzy. Spring rate specifically relates to the stiffness of the spring. To match a set of springs with shocks (coilover setup) you will better rebound to match the springrate, allowing you to not only corner faster, but not have the car bounce over bumps.

any more questions?[^]

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sirmilton

any more questions?[^]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, just one. How 'bout we find a sponsor and go racin'. With your setup knowledge, we could kick ass!! [boink]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Thanks Milt! Great info as usual.

Do you have a rough idea on cost for all that equip? I can get the Springs for roughly $190 plus labor. Any idea on the rest?

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
254 Posts
On those eibach's, I put them on a previous sedan that i had, and the ride did get considerably firmer, but it wouldn't rattle your fillings out or anything.[:D]On the performance side of things, cornering improved drastically...I was able to take cloverleafs i had driven on everyday for years 10-12 mph quicker than with the stock springs[bigeyes]....IMO 200 bucks, and a firmer ride are a small sacrifice for such a large increase in perf.[grad]

CMEGOBYU
03.5 G35s Pearl,Sprt,Aero

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you want everything, a set of fair coilovers, with 4-6 way adjustable dampening should cost around $1000. If you have some tools hanging around, a floor jack and jack stands, you could do it in a few hours. Mind you, if the coilovers don't come with the upper mounts, or upper pillow ball mounts, then you will need a spring compressor and stock upper mounts, which would then be easier to take to a shop.

Not all coilovers have adjustable ride height, but it is a common feature. Other than that, start searching.

Sway bars will help you control the stifness of your chassis, I know from experience, a stiffer rear sway bar on a FWD car allows the driver to understeer controllably around a corner, while keeping the power to the ground via the front wheels. I personally have discovered how to powerslide down on and off ramps in a FWD car (don't try this at home, or on your local roads.)

Strut tower braces help to stiffen the chassis, and for those AutoXers that are really anal, get Suspension Techniques polyurethane suspension bushings.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Roger, if you look at my post count, it looks like I've been here a little longer than you [:D]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Darcy is right, Roger... he's been a regular here for quite some time now, only we call him Milt or Uncle Milty around here! [:D]

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

Darcy is right, Roger... he's been a regular here for quite some time now, only we call him Milt or Uncle Milty around here! [:D]

Hey Ken, glad to have you back!

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Hey Ken, glad to have you back!

thanks, lead... been completely jammed at work. I've still got a lot of threads to catch up on. [cheers]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts