Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
That is like asking how the brake pedal works. You push the clutch in and however it is designed operates the clutch. Could be hard linkage, cable or hydraulic. Which ever method it uses, it forces the clutch plates to separate allowing the engine and transmission to rotate independant of each other.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
That is like asking how the brake pedal works. You push the clutch in and however it is designed operates the clutch. Could be hard linkage, cable or hydraulic. Which ever method it uses, it forces the clutch plates to separate allowing the engine and transmission to rotate independant of each other.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i Know that! I just wanted to know in more detail how it worked.

Thanks for the reply Semi!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My pleasure. That "How Stuff Works" site is pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Actually, a hydraulic clutch works exactly the same as an hydraulic brake, but in reverse. The hydraulic clutch is much easier to operate, I remember driving a guys 69 Camaro that had a clutch in it that was so hard to operate my leg would tremble.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gardiner, a hydraulic clutch has many more little things to it than a brake. You should go to that link and read the article and at the end there is a link to a page where it talks about "how clutches work" Very interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
What I mean is that the operation a master hydraulic cylinder operates a slave cylinder that releases the pressure between the clutch plates allowing slippage. In a brake system the slave applies pressure between the disc and pads increasing pressure that prevents slippage.

I know that there are many differences between the two systems. You will never have a throw out bearing problem with disc brakes. And one of the simplest disc brake systems is on a bicycle with caliper brakes.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

My pleasure. That "How Stuff Works" site is pretty cool.

I cruise the site when I am bored and it is very cool. Explains a lot of cool sh*t!!!

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
You will never have a throw out bearing problem with disc brakes.

Is this a commong problem with clutches? Can it happen to a new car or is it a wear & tear part that wears out after certain range in miles. What is the reason that you might have a throw out bearing problem? What are the things you'de hear or see if you had a throw out bearing problem?

[:D] a lot of questions huh?

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Usually the first sign of a bad throw out bearing is a real bad noise when you operate the clutch. It can go bad from being very abusive on the clutch pedal. They go out more often quicker than the disc's, they are the cheaper part to buy for replacement. But since you have to go in so far to replace them most people replace the whole clutch. Always make sure to buy good ones, don't skip and buy a cheap throw out bearing.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks....i think that is what may be wrong to my clutch. Its making a rattling noise when the clutch is not pressed but when its pressed there is no noise. Very low noise, can hardly hear it. It also makes a little click when i let go of the clutch.

Lately i've been working the clutch extra hard.

I'm still gonna double check with my nearby dealer, to make sure that is the problem. Do you knwo approximately how much it will cost to replace it since its part of the clutch and i don't think the clutch is covered under the warranty...is it?

Hey Lead_foot, you not having this problem after all that autocrossing?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hyeteck

Hey Lead_foot, you not having this problem after all that autocrossing?
No, my car doesn't have a clutch. See my sig below. I actually use the manual mode on the 5AT and just shift once to second at the beginning. Both events I've been to haven't required more than that.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
No problem man!

[:D]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your just trying to respond to every little post to move up ahead in the post wars. [clapper]

im going to try and catch up to you...lets give it a shot [boink]

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Not sure how to replace, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. It might have a problem covered by the warranty, or maybe no problem at all.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette
2003 S10 Extended cab
1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by hyeteck

Your just trying to respond to every little post to move up ahead in the post wars. [clapper]
im going to try and catch up to you...lets give it a shot [boink]
careful, hyeteck... do you realize who you're dealing with here?

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i wasn't talking about you gardiner...i was talking about Lead_foot
No problem man!

thats waht i was talking about..im going to try and give a shot in catching you guys.

2003.5 6MT Sedan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts