Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have searched on here but haven't been able to find any info on what I have going on. If I missed it sorry for wasting your time just point me in the right direction.
Last weekend I took a trip in my 2012 G37s 6MT sedan. The drive was about 8 hours. After about 4 hours of straigh highway driving at 75mph I pushed my clutch in to get off an exit. It didnt grab until I was almost at the floor. I shifted a few more times and it finally started to come back. I finished the drive and getting off the last exit it did the same thing. I parked the car for the night at home, woke up the next morning and everything felt fine.

Has anyone ever had this issue?

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
The first thi g the comes to mind is something like heat is affecting the brake line. There could be some water or air in the line. The fluid is brake fluid.

If your car is still under the power train warranty, I'd have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought too. But if it were heat I was thinking it would stay like that longer. I could pull the pedal up with my foot and it would stay in its normal spot and didnt feel as "worn" as soon as I did that but still was engaging at a lower point.
It does only have 15,000 on it so I will be getting it to the dealer.

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
I agree with your logic. That's the only thing I could really think of. And when I said brake line I meant clutch line. Most people don't drive 4 hours straight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys so I went to the dealer which was just about useless.

I took the car in and they called and said there were known issues with the fluid in these cars so they told me they replaced it with GTR Spec fluid to have a higher heat tolerence. The manager even told me he drove it and it just didnt feel right. So that should have told me something.

I got in drove off and and it still felt soft. I thought it may be just from the fresh fluid or maybe a small air bubble. A few days later, if that, I was right back to it basically hitting the floor before doing anything. I called back and they told me to bring it back in. A different tech looked at it this time and just said it was warn. They told me it was going to cost me $1400 to have it all replaced. But they couldn't explain how it would be "warn" feeling one minute and almost normal the next. The service writer told me that the tech all but blew it off and didnt want to put the time into it. He couldnt tell me how long her drove it or anything so I knew it got brushed off.

They are sticking to the fact that if its warn I will have to pay. But I am saying if its warn it is connected to some other issue. The other day it was actually sticking on the floor and then popping back at my foot. 5 mintues later it was almost normal.

Any ideas from you guys? When I start it up it consistant feels like the clutch is gone, especially when its cold in the morning. Then from there its a up in the air to how it behaves for the rest of the day. I have read about a spring issue on here as well but I would think even that could be consistent.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
No. But if it's not the fluid, that'd be my next guess

sent from Galaxy Note II

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok guys so I went to the dealer which was just about useless.

I took the car in and they called and said there were known issues with the fluid in these cars so they told me they replaced it with GTR Spec fluid to have a higher heat tolerence. The manager even told me he drove it and it just didnt feel right. So that should have told me something.

I got in drove off and and it still felt soft. I thought it may be just from the fresh fluid or maybe a small air bubble. A few days later, if that, I was right back to it basically hitting the floor before doing anything. I called back and they told me to bring it back in. A different tech looked at it this time and just said it was warn. They told me it was going to cost me $1400 to have it all replaced. But they couldn't explain how it would be "warn" feeling one minute and almost normal the next. The service writer told me that the tech all but blew it off and didnt want to put the time into it. He couldnt tell me how long her drove it or anything so I knew it got brushed off.

They are sticking to the fact that if its warn I will have to pay. But I am saying if its warn it is connected to some other issue. The other day it was actually sticking on the floor and then popping back at my foot. 5 mintues later it was almost normal.

Any ideas from you guys? When I start it up it consistant feels like the clutch is gone, especially when its cold in the morning. Then from there its a up in the air to how it behaves for the rest of the day. I have read about a spring issue on here as well but I would think even that could be consistent.

Thanks in advance.
First, a worn clutch wouldn't stick at the down position, that's a BS diagnosis. The symptom indicates something else.

I'd go with the fluid or clutch master or slave cylinder - most likely one of the later two..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First, a worn clutch wouldn't stick at the down position, that's a BS diagnosis. The symptom indicates something else.

I'd go with the fluid or clutch master or slave cylinder - most likely one of the later two..
I know it was I told the service write that too and he didnt have a solid response. Basically I am hesitant to take it back there because they said they were going to charge me $1400 to replace the clutch if it was warn and I have a feeling they are going to say it is and just slap a new one in without really looking into it. The car only has 17,000 miles on it so the warranty should be covering it. If the clutch is warn its due to the other issues. They said they checked to see if the slave was losing fluid and it was not.

I may just have to take my chances.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
17k miles. I HIGHLY doubt it's the clutch. I'd take it to another shop

sent from Galaxy Note II

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I know it was I told the service write that too and he didnt have a solid response. Basically I am hesitant to take it back there because they said they were going to charge me $1400 to replace the clutch if it was warn and I have a feeling they are going to say it is and just slap a new one in without really looking into it. The car only has 17,000 miles on it so the warranty should be covering it. If the clutch is warn its due to the other issues. They said they checked to see if the slave was losing fluid and it was not.

If you are getting a half-ass diagnosis at any shop or dealer, I agree.
I can't feel too confident in that situation.... especially when they are helping me spend my money. :(

I have 110k miles or so on my G as the third owner and my clutch is on it's last 200 miles or so (if that). I suspect a previous owner or driver either learned manual driving on it or didn't quite master it because everyone I talk to feels these can last longer or maybe even far longer in lots of cases.

·
Registered
145 Posts

The slave cylinder doesn't have to lose fluid to be bad. Personally, my money is on the clutch master cylinder though.

You probably already know this, but "Service Advisers" are commissioned sales people. Most have no mechanical training or experience. I rarely believe anything they say.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The slave cylinder doesn't have to lose fluid to be bad. Personally, my money is on the clutch master cylinder though.

You probably already know this, but "Service Advisers" are commissioned sales people. Most have no mechanical training or experience. I rarely believe anything they say.
I agree on the losing fluid thing. That would just mean the reservoir seal is bad on top. Isn't the internal seal around the pushrod going bad what causes failure?

sent from Galaxy Note II

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
The car is clearly still under warranty. Try a different Infiniti dealership if that's possible. This should be covered under warranty. The dealer should replace the clutch master cylinder and everything else that it could be the problem before they replace the clutch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts