Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ranted and raved about how much I hate my clear bra; thought I'd back it up with some pics. I inserted links rather than posting the photos here because they're pretty big and might cause problems for non-highspeed users.
Notice the dots on the bra from the tree sap I couldn't get off, and the discoloration in the center of the hood where I tried to buff out one of the scratches in the plastic.
These were taken when the car was freshly washed and waxed, so this is the best it could look. From a distance you can't really see the bra, but within five feet or so you can't miss it.
I've decided what I'm going to do is have the clear bra redone so that it covers only the area that the leather bra covers. That way I can leave the leather bra (which I think looks pretty sweet on black) on most of the time without damaging the ever so delicate paint.
Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/67598/0.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/67598/1.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/67598/2.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/67598/3.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/67598/4.jpg
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/67598/5.jpg

Black 2003.5 6MT - Willow - Nav - Premium - Performance - Tint - Nose mask

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Thanks for coming through with the pics as promised JTB. I didn't realize that you have the clear bra only half way up the hood. Most of the kits that I have looked at were full hood kits. That really sucks about the orange stain. I like your idea to solve the problem. You are correct, that black bra doesn't look bad on a black car.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics, jtb. Sorta makes me not want to do it now. But then again, I keep changing my mind.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have it on my red G35 and I can't say I love it. If I could be assured of no chips, I would remove it but the crappy roads in NJ with all the loose gravel and road chips almost guarantee a chip or two. The hood on my old Acura CL-S looked like it was hit with a shotgun full of salt.

Mine is pretty much invisible unless you are up close. From more than 5' it's invisible. Any closer than 5' and it's clearly visible. If you get closer than 4', this happens: http://cultofthewolf.org/blackguy.html

03 Laser Red 6MT | Willow int | No fancy stuff | 30% Tint and 3M Clear Bra

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[lol]

That's awsome.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How thick is the clear bra on the car. If you run your hand against the paint and then over the clear bra is there like a bump all of a sudden? I'd rather just get the car touched up everyother year or so if it does just all of a sudden have this bump on teh hood.

2003 G35C / 6mt / LR & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA 5 Months, Maybe 1.5 weeks?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a few millimeters thick; you can easily feel it if you run your hand over it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone tried to install their own clear bra? I'm going to take mine off and put on a new one that will cover the same area as the leather bra. My dealer wants >$1K to do the job. I could buy the stuff for half that but I wonder about puting it on myself.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got up the nerve to take off my clear bra; parked in the sun and it pulled off pretty easily. There was a lot of residue left behind and it took about an hour to get that off with the goo gone, but I'm much happier without the big line across my hood.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I just had the center panel reinstalled and I'm still not crazy about it but I still think it will be better than no cover.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't notice until this morning, but if you look closely at the hood where the bra was you can easily see that the covered paint did not fade and the exposed paint did. My car is black so it will be more obvious than any other color, but I thought I'd give you all a warning about that. The whole speech I got about fading being the same was a load of crap.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Hmmmmm[crazy]

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ll post pics this weekend; there’s a pretty noticeable line where it was too. I’ve gotten nowhere so far with the dealer, so I think I’ll send a letter to the main customer service dept in AZ and see if that helps. Love the car; hate the service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll post my two cents. Again, I am very fond of my clear bra. On DG it is hardly noticeable except in some lighting conditions. Most people will not notice and I would do it again in an instant. Easy clean up if you don't rub the crap out of it and get the mess shown in the pics. BTW, I don't believe that there is a whole hood package as the film is not wide enough to cover then entire hood. The packages you see look like they would cover the entire hood, but don't.

03 coupe/DG/graphite/6MT/nav/prem/aero/3M bra

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sent the following letter to my dealer and to Infiniti Customer Affairs; hopefully I get a response this time.

"Dear Sir or Madam:
After waiting two weeks and receiving no response from you or your service department in regards to my previous letter I removed the clear bra that you installed on my G35 coupe on my own. When I purchased the car and decided to add the clear bra I was told by your staff that if it were to be removed in the future it would leave no marking on the paint, and that the color would fade at the same rate so there would be no noticeable color change. After removing the clear bra and spending approximately two hours removing the residue left behind, I notice a distinct line where the clear bra stopped on the hood and a significant color difference in the paint. I would like to have my hood replaced or repainted at your earliest convenience. Please contact me at [email protected] to resolve this matter.
On a more general note I have been extremely displeased with the lack of service I have received since making my purchase. From being exuberantly charged for accessories and labor to being completely ignored in my last letter, I have found my experience with Tim Dahle Infiniti very disappointing. I hope that until now I have been the unlucky recipient of uncharacteristically poor customer service, and that my opinions are changed in the future."

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received a phone call from the service manager a few days ago and got my car back today. Once I had their attention they were really helpful and now I can't tell the clear bra was ever there. I would recommend a clear bra for lighter colors, but never on darker paint (black, blue, red, etc).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts