1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
80 million :roll: I wouldn't give this story too much weight. Do the math on the above figure mentioned using $1,000 per cost as quoted and see how many Z's were sold from in 93-94 to make this possible.

Hey, a car is a car. At least Nissan says they will be fixing the problem.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
So the guy has owned 2 other Zs and still hasn't gotten the clue it's a sports car and will have tire wear faster than a Civic? Give the man a bus pass and the car to someone who realizes it's not a grocery hauler.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hmmm, I hope this isn't indicative of what I can expect from the 6MT coupe that I just bought two nights ago. The BMW I traded in had a similar problem - After 8000 miles or so, the tires would get really noisy and the handling would get "twitchy". The shop confirmed that the tires were cupping or feathering, but they could never solve the problem even after multiple alignments. I had three sets of tires on the car in the three and a half years that I owned it, and I'm not that hard of a driver. It was one of the reasons that I decided to get rid of the car (that and it being an automatic). I hope I didn't just buy the same problem all over again! I don't expect 30,000 miles out of summer performance tires, but I would like to get at least half of that out of them without them turning into a noise factory.

At the same time, I guess you have to just deal with this kind of stuff given how sport-oriented cars are setup these days. To get the cars to really stick in turns, they dial in alot of negative camber. In the long-run, this can pay a toll on the tires.

I guess we'll see.

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
Good post cobra7.

At last a new owner who understands some of the issues. A lot of people come up from a totally different car and expect the maximum performance tires to act like their $70 all seasons (for price and wear).

From what I understand the Z's suspension is more aggressive than we have on our cars. This helps to explain why the G's don't see the problem to the extent that the Z's do. Another problem is that the stock suspension setup doesn't allow for enough adjustment to solve the problem (weight of the cars doesn't help out too much either).

It's pay to play at the higher levels of performance.

·
Registered
425 Posts
GZire said:
From what I understand the Z's suspension is more aggressive than we have on our cars.
Does that include G35's with the sport-tuned suspension, like the 6MT cars, GZire?

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
The 03/04 6mt coupes and the G's in general never had the issues to the extent that the Z guys do with the tire feathering and cupping.

I don't know about the 05 G's, but if I was to guess I'd say you are no worse off than the 03/04 coupes.

This issue has been around since day 1 for the Z's and I don't think Nissan would have made the same mistake on the 05 coupes (sport tuned suspension or not) after two years of field data from consummers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi all, new to the forums.

unfortunately, my 05 exhibits this problem and i've read on other forums of many other owners having the same issue like the owner of the Z.

i've got 10k miles and the tires are so damn loud it's actually not fun to drive sometimes. the fronts are uneven, cupping and excessive wearing on the outside/inside of the tires. the noise is cleary apparent around 20mph. it sounds like roaring rapids in the car. however the car doesn't pull in any direction. going to the dealer to see if the alignment is all messed up or not. be nice if i could get new set of tires from infiniti but i doubt it.

want to know if any others out there have this problem with their G. kinda sucks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our Michelins got loud around 10k and stayed that way until we replaced them at 30k. This time I put on Bridgestone Potenza S03 Pole Positions. I like them so far, but we will see about the noise.

The dealer had to struggle to find 4 of the Bridgestones, because that is apparently what they put on the 350Z now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As I said, I had this problem with my BMW 325i with sport suspension. I started out with the Continental ContiSport Contacts that are stock on the car. They got really noisy at around 7K miles and stayed that way until I couldn't take it anymore and replaced them with a set of Kuhmo ECSTA MXs. Those to got noisy at around 8K miles. I then got a set of Yokohama dB2 all-season high-performance tires for it. They were by far the best tires I had on the car and maybe the best tires I've ever owned. They stayed quiet for around 20000 miles. They had just started to get a little noisy when I traded the car in for my G coupe.

I'm gonna be really pissed if this G Coupe has the same type of tire wear characteristic as that bimmer had.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We bought them. The dealer wanted to sell us more Michelins and I said no. I then went and researched what was out there. Came down to the Bridgestone or Continental and I have never had Continentals before, so I went with the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Phelan said:
So the guy has owned 2 other Zs and still hasn't gotten the clue it's a sports car and will have tire wear faster than a Civic? Give the man a bus pass and the car to someone who realizes it's not a grocery hauler.
don't come crying when the same thing happens to you. maybe a class action law suit is going too far, but its typical in america. you paid at least $30,000 for your car, don't you think the tires should last you longer than 10,000 miles? I don't think the sti and the evo are having the same problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Phelan said:
I agree that with high performance tires and suspension setups, you have to expect the tires to wear faster. I expect to get at least 15K miles out of them, though, and I don't expect them to sound like my wheel bearings are shot at under 10K miles.

Faster wear? Yes. That's a given with softer, wider tires. Uneven wear, cupping or feathering, even with the tire pressure and allignment maintained properly? No. That indicates a suspension geometry engineering error or a factory setup that is to aggressive for normal, everyday driving.

And while some people may buy these cars to auto-cross, most buy them simply to enjoy in normal, daily use, such as going to the grocery store. They aren't marketed as competition-only cars, and therefore should be able to stand up to normal, daily use without these types of issues.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I have 20k on my car and have not had to replace the tires yet. Nor do I hear any noise from them. Maybe because I rotate the tires every 5k, from one side to the other. Speaking of rotating them, I am dropping my G off today to get my brake pads replaced and my tires rotated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Jaylin said:
I have 20k on my car and have not had to replace the tires yet. Nor do I hear any noise from them. Maybe because I rotate the tires every 5k, from one side to the other. Speaking of rotating them, I am dropping my G off today to get my brake pads replaced and my tires rotated.
The G Coupe's tires (at least the stock Bridgestone RE050A's on my '05 6MT) cannot be rotated. They are both different sizes front to back and unidirectional. If you rotate them side-to-side, the tires will be rotating in the wrong direction, which the tire is not designed to do and may be a safety hazard. Again, I'm talking about the stock tires on the '05 coupe with sport suspension, which is all 6MTs.

As a side note, BMW actually recommends NOT rotating tires on their cars to help avoid the uneven wear problem as rotating them changes the wear pattern on each tire and can cause unpredictable results, such as feathering/cupping and twitchy handling. The BMW suspension setup (particularly for the sport suspension) has alot of negative camber dialed in, though, which explains this recommendation.

There are alot of factors involved in how tires will wear, including inflation pressures, driving habits, road surfaces driven on, suspension geometry, allignment, etc. I have to imagine that people who lower their cars and don't make appropriate adjustments to the suspension geometry must have problems with uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think Jaylin means, left to right, not front to back. Although, I guess you could move the whole tire and wheel assembly if you wanted. Heheh, fat tires in the front, skinny in the back :? .

·
Registered
65 Posts
So I had this tire feathering issue on my michelins after 11,000 miles. I talked to the dealership and got a free alignment. I also got them to rotate the front tires for free. This has helped the noise issue slightly and also extended the life of the tires by another couple thousand. It should be enough to get me through the season.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts