Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm new to the performance arena. Never had a car worth the money. I'm looking to set up my new sedan and kick up the hp. A friend mentioned changing the chip...does anyone know if it is a plug in or not?

Also, anyone from NJ/NYC who knows of a good reputable shop?

Appreciated the help.

G35 Sedan...All Black!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There are rumors circulating that Nismo will be producing a chip for the G's. I would assume this would be similar to the chips popular on Audi's which are simple swap in, swap out chips. You could probably install yourself, if you can hunt down the ECU.

Does anyone else have any more info on this? Gav?

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to sound like the amateur that I am but...how do I get info on Nismo's new products and what is an ECU? (I'm cringing right now, cause I'm sure I'm going to get abused for this question)

G35 Sedan...All Black!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
ECU is the Electronic Computer System in your car basically. Im not sure about Nismo chips or where to find them...new to that!

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chaz.

When did you get yours?
Color?
Trans.?

It's my first new car..Lovin' it!! Get alot of looks. You on the east coast?

G35 Sedan...All Black!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think a chip would do much for performance b/c the car is not turbo or supercharge. I got the chip on my VW Passat which increased the HP 35, but the chip basically reprogrammed the turbo. From what I understand, chips on "regular" cars only toy around with the fuel/air mixture, and don't add much in terms of HP. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes Monger I believe you are correct as well. The chips just really modify the turbo/supercharger to get it in synch with the engine. So a chip on a non-turboed ride won't really do much.

I got my ride last April...yes one of the first out. Its a dark blue auto and I'm loving it as well. I already have 25K miles on it if thats any indication...hehe! Im in the Texas region...not east or west...SouthCENTRAL BABY! hehe [:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate your .02. Do you have any recomendations. One thing I don't want to do is mess with the exhausts sound, other then that I'm open suggestions. I don't want everyone to know my car is faster than theirs...I like it to be a surprise.

G35 Sedan...All Black!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well give it some time and Im sure some performance shops will start adding Turbo's to the G's. Once that happens kits will start coming out and so forth...other than that if you want real power there is always NOS...hehe put a nice little 50shot on your car. BUT I would not recommend doing this...very rough on engines...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
41 Posts
About the only thing I can think of is a high flow air filter. Of course, if there is an aftermarket turbocharger look out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess I'll just wait it out.

Chaz, that dark blue is what I was originally looking for but my dealer told me they aren't making the dark blue anymore. I got beat!

G35 Sedan...All Black!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
OUCH...I haven't heard that about the dark blue...well good Im glad I got it now. I have the dark blue with Tan leather interior and wood trimmings...looks PIMP! hehe[:D] or as VQ would say...BLING BLING!

I have seen teh black and I really like them as well. I wanted originally the silver with all black interior, but decided last minute on the blue...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
im guessing 10hp max..since NISMO shouldnt have a problem breaking the codes. Most aftermarket ECU companies cant break nissan codes, so they dont even try. JWT i heard gets "help" in that area...thats why their ECUS have actually worked(on a VQ motor-95/96 maximas-).

·
Registered
172 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Prossimo

Thanks Chaz.

When did you get yours?
Color?
Trans.?

It's my first new car..Lovin' it!! Get alot of looks. You on the east coast?

G35 Sedan...All Black!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah baby~ another cool BLACK G35!
I just love black onez!
its my first car too! I'm training it right now!
BTW, how do you train your car at the beginning?
i heard that you cant get over 3000rpm?????
can anyone answer?[boxing]

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Uhh well Sub I have never heard of anyone training their car but there is a break-in period. As far as getting above 3000RPM you can EASILY do that if you switch it to the clutchless manual shifting...damn forgot what they call it...or basically floor it and it will go above 3000rpm...[:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Subrobo, are you talking about the auto tranny "learning" your driving style? In this aspect, yes, a car will adapt shifting programs to your driving habits.

Try to keep the RPMs lower (below 3,000 is tough, my attitude is just don't gun it) for the first 1,000 miles. This is called break in, and is beneficial to most new engines (gives time for seals to break in, etc.).

Post some pics when you get 'em.

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
In general, below 5000rpm is sufficient for breakin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess my engine is going to be ruined!!

I've been running it hard since i've gotten it. I've never had a good performance car and I guess it's like the first time you're with a girl...i'm a little excited.

BTW, love taking the VDC off and line locking it at the light. I know It's childish, but this IS my new toy...isnb't it??

G35 Sedan...All Black!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I didn't say I was good about it.

In general, I kept it under 5000 usually but I certainly pushed it past there on more than one occassion. Like you, I just couldn't resist.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts