Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of us out there change our own oil?

Looks like for me to get under the belly, both front sides have to be elevated onto stands. Thats ok. But, the side jack mount points make me nervous.

First, my jack stand "heads" don't fit onto the G35's mount points. The "heads" are "V" shaped. The points (or strips) viewing from the side, are roughly 8" wide, by 3/4" top-to-bottom, and about 3/8" thick. The top of the "V" hits the top of the strip, without supporting any of the strip.

Second, last time I looked, at the rear of each strip, is a ~1.5 inch long re-inforcement next to the strip toward the inside of the auto. Assuming Infinnity's intent is the head of the G35's jack be placed on the strip, directly next to this re-inforcement, then it is not clear it is a good idea to place a stand next to it on any other part of the strip. That is, it doesn't look like the rest of the strip is re-inforced.

I would really rather not use the supplied G35 jack... and just use a standard floor jack to lift the entire front at one time onto 2 stands, but I'm not seeing any cross member underneath capable of supporting the weight of the car.

I guess I'll pay the local Infinnity's $35 for an oil change. I can then talk to the techs and see what they recommend (that is, other than bringing it back to them every 3700 mi's :)

thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I always changed my oil on my last car, but I haven't tried on the G. I don't think it's a bad idea to go with the $35, though...at my dealer (Austin Infiniti), they also detail it whenever you bring it in. So for all that:
* oil change
* genuine parts (not sure if that matters)
* free loaner
* free pickup and delivery if I'm too busy to take it in
* interior vacuum
* exterior wash & quick detail
* the few hours it would take me to do all that
$35 doesn't seem like such a bad price, especially since jiffy lube or whoever would charge $20 for whatever generic oil & filter they'd use. Plus it all happens when I'm at work so I don't have to spend precious, precious weekend time on it.

The do-it-yourselfer in me cringes, but it does seem like a pretty good deal to just let the dealer take care of it.

2003 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx struan87,

I agree, $35 doesn't seem like such a bad price when you consider everything they are doing.

I took my car into the Infinity dealer yesterday. The mechanic was pretty helpful. When we had it up in the air it was obvious there is a cross member capable of lifting the front end. (This of course was in stark contrast to the information I got when I called them about this last month. I suspect they have to keep with Infinity's recommendation of using only the side mount points.)

It butts up against the plastic air foil runs side-to-side. I'll probably place an 8 inch piece of 2x4 between my floor jack and the cross member... to keep from crimping the foil.

There are also two, for lack of a better term, "support rails", which will handle the weight of the car. They run front to back and are located ~5 inches to the inside of the front mount "strips". They are ~3 inches wide and flush with the bottom of the car.

The mechanic brought up an interesting point. Don't count on getting all 5 quarts of oil out of the engine. He see's as much as a quart which stays in the engine. He said install 4 quarts, and then check the dip stick. Add more if needed. Makes sense.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by pedal2themetal

The mechanic brought up an interesting point. Don't count on getting all 5 quarts of oil out of the engine. He see's as much as a quart which stays in the engine. He said install 4 quarts, and then check the dip stick. Add more if needed. Makes sense.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I never heard this before. Why does this make sense to you? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry... it makes "sense" to use the dip stick as the definitive indicator of oil level.

A quart seems excessive - everyone would agree. I won't know until I do my own change. Compensating for oil in the filter, are you draining closer to 5 quarts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The ESM says to use the center jack point for a floor jack.

See my post here:
http://www.6mt.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1872

for the jack point info and my advice on oil changing.

if you use the center point, you can put the jackstands under the "infiniti jack points" on the side of the car

2003.5 Sedan Leather 6MT Metal Matrix Pads, K&N Drop-In, Exhaust Resonator Removed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts