Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put a cat-back exhaust on a G Coupe?
Was the sound THAT different from stock and warrant the $850+??

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the exhaust if they paid me $850. I drive with the windows down just so I can listen to it, and people hurt their necks as I drive by.

- Desparetly seeking a nice wood dash kit for my black 6MT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a Stillen cat-back exhaust on my coupe and I think it sounds great. It isn't too obnoxious, but it definitely lets you know that it is there. As far as hp increase and actually feeling a difference, I am really not sure. I just got my g back yesterday. I got rear-ended on the freeway about 2 1/2 months ago. I got it by a chick on a cell phone. I was pretty much stopped and she was still going about 65 mph. I was not pleased to say the least. When all was said and done, it cost nearly $14,000 to get it fixed. FYI, the owner of the bodyshop that I went to said that he has never seen a car hold up in this kind of wreck like the g35 did. He was extremely impressed with this car. When he told me how fast the girl had to be going, I couldn't believe it. It really didn't feel like she hit me that hard. Anyway, I am getting off subject. Before the wreck, I didn't have the exhaust, and it has been sooo long since I have driven it, that I can't really compare the before and after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Infiniti Skyline

I think i'll wait for the top secret titanium exhaust to come out... if youre gonna replace it might as well lose a crapload of weight while you're at it... as long as it sounds nice of course...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is this rumor true? Or did you make it up. If it is true what is your source?

·
Registered
11 Posts
good call gumbee... youre right on... i figure if its worth a few hp and drops several (read 15+) pounds itll probably be worth it... id definately wanna see some dyno pulls and the weight difference in writing before dumping the $1K+ dollars on it that theyd probably be asking... also dont know about losing the balanced look of dual exits...

·
Registered
40 Posts
top secret exhaust is a joke. It's only 1 pipe outlet!? I'm sure if you took half of the stillen or borla exhaust, you'd get these great weight savings also.

Who in their right mind would want to put a single exhasut on a car that is MADE for dual exhaust? It just doesn't make sense...

2003.5 6MT Black/Graphite Coupe Premium Aero

·
Registered
11 Posts
just cuz it isnt dual doesnt make it a joke... top secret doesnt have much street creed here but they make some awesome exhausts... hell they even make titanium headers for the Z... i agree that duals look a helluva lot better but even if it was duals, it would weigh a LOT less than its stainless counterparts... ive seen a full top secret Ti catback for an S2000 that you can lift with one finger... also on the note of a single outlet... i am assuming they have a reason for this.. but who knows... ive been wrong before and lord knows itll happen again...

·
Registered
11 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by sav505

Can't you just add a fake exhaust outlet to keep it looking duel?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

damn we're just screamin rice now, arent we?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
well if the titanium exhaust is good and you can keep the car looking stock...i dont think thats rice

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |

·
Registered
230 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Infiniti Skyline

good call gumbee... youre right on... i figure if its worth a few hp and drops several (read 15+) pounds itll probably be worth it... id definately wanna see some dyno pulls and the weight difference in writing before dumping the $1K+ dollars on it that theyd probably be asking... also dont know about losing the balanced look of dual exits...

Please don't take this the wrong way, and I am directing this comment to you specifically, but I am a little confused about people doing things like this to lose a few pounds off the car. Now i understand reducing wheel/tire weight to improve braking, but to lose 15lb of the total weight of the car??? Is that going to make a difference? I mean I weigh 165lbs does that mean i can dive my G noticably faster than a guy who weighs 220? or 180? What if my fuel tank is full - will that slow me down? Ok maybe I'm being a bit ficious, but what kinda 0-60 gains can you see from reducing 15 lbs?

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Theorectically, every 100 lbs. lost is 0.1 second off of your E/T in a Quarter Mile run. So if you do a lot of Titanium parts, e.g. headers, y-pipe, and cat-back exhaust, you could very well lose 100 lbs. Then if you get lighter moving masses, flywheel, wheels, driveshaft, etc. you can see even more gains. People who are looking for weight loss performance mods are not odd by any means...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing with just the one pipe and then a PHONY pipe, doesn't make any sense at all...I think it would be pretty obvious, pretty quickly, from residue and discoloration which is the functioning pipe and which isn't....That would be an improvement over the stock system??

As far as after-market exhaust, you've got 4-5 choices tops....Borla, Stillen, B&B, HKS, GReddy...Lipps, if I missed any, please fill in...

Replacing the stock is a tough call...Stock sounds really good, and I've heard both Borla and Stillen and they both sound deeper, fuller, but not by much...As far as extra HP...Again, unless you're racing...you'll never tell the difference...Is it worth $850-$1200 clams??? [dunno]

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem/Alum. Ped./Z Intake/Z Pop-Charger

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Injen, Nismo, Fujitsubo, Impul, and Top Secret also have products realeased/soon-to-be released...

I am still having major problems with my computer but as soon as everything is fixed I will be sure to update/complete the G35 Coupe Modifications List... After that I will try to compile one for the Sedan.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jarrettblue

Please don't take this the wrong way, and I am directing this comment to you specifically, but I am a little confused about people doing things like this to lose a few pounds off the car. Now i understand reducing wheel/tire weight to improve braking, but to lose 15lb of the total weight of the car??? Is that going to make a difference? I mean I weigh 165lbs does that mean i can dive my G noticably faster than a guy who weighs 220? or 180? What if my fuel tank is full - will that slow me down? Ok maybe I'm being a bit ficious, but what kinda 0-60 gains can you see from reducing 15 lbs?

Yes, if you lose driver weight your car will faster, less mass to accelerate and decelerate. My old autocross car was much faster when my mechanic drove it. He weighed about half of my weight. Weight is weight, where is placed makes a big difference also. Less un-sprung weight is good. Front to rear and left to right, as well as lower for better center of gravity. Just lowering your windows on an autocross car can be a help. If I really wanted to accelerate faster I would lose 100 pounds.[dunno]

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan | 2003 Z06 Corvette | 2003 S10 Extended cab | 1991 Honda CRXsi

·
Registered
46 Posts
I want to get the Greddy setup but have some questions. I looked under my G and it looks like we have a smaller muffler just under the driver. Is this a muffler at all or something else? I thought the muffler was part of the exhaust with the tips attatched to it.

As for the Greddy, I really like the price for this setup although it is only for the rear and doesnt go up to the cats.

here is a link to the Greddy setup http://www.350zforums.org/store/?pa...&category_id=7e39e1607b2d2b90667d80b9af75a5d3

Any input on this would really help. Thanks!

G35Coupe | 5AT | Brilliant Silver | Fallsgate Amp and Speakers | http://corevoltage.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.