Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to make my car in like new condition....

I replaced the floor mats, but the carpet itself isn't in the best condition. I've shampooed it and is decent, but not perfect. Has anyone tried carpet dying? Does it actually work? Will it make the carpet look new again?

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope just trying to make it into the best condition i can get it to. Spent a ton of time detailing the exterior this past weekend. Next weekend the interior is going down. Looked into what some people have done with the carpet, and I read a little about automotive car dyes.

One available from detailking:

Automotive Carpet Dye Kit

thought it might be worth a shot, but wanted to see if anyone has used it or anything similar.

· Premium Member
53,494 Posts
Completely serious. It's cheap, pemanent, and repeatable. It's an old used car trick that I learned a long time ago. You'll have to decide if you want gloss, semigloss or flat.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But it doesn't look like spray paint does it??? It still looks like carpet right lol. I may test out an inconspicuous area and see how it turns out. I did see some house wives come up with the idea of doing floor rugs online....apparently it comes out great with stiff carpet, like berber etc.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol just had to check. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to give it a try on another car first - if it works out well, transition to the g.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After removing the seats, I did a good scrubbing with a carpet shampooer. Vaccumed, then scotch guard. Carpet looks great. No need for dyes or paint but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Made things really easy after removing the seats.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did end up trying out the paint. My trunk mat in my car was pretty beat up so I painted in a simple pattern using 2 colors and tape. Looks great. Note to anyone who tries this though, if you use gloss paint, it leaves the carpet crusty, so use flat paint. One of the colors I used was gloss and one was flat, the flat still feels like normal carpet. The gloss still looks like normal carpet but to the touch it's very rough.

· Registered
1 Posts
In an effort to make my car in like new condition....

I replaced the floor mats, but the carpet itself isn't in the best condition. I've shampooed it and is decent, but not perfect. Has anyone tried carpet dying? Does it actually work? Will it make the carpet look new again?
I haven't tried staining the carpet, but a steam cleaner does a much better job with dirt than chemicals. I use it to clean the interior of the car and the engine, very good results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts