Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, tonight I was trying to do a doughnut or a burnout in my 05 g35 auto....when I try to powerbrake, it revs up to about 3k rpms floored and won't go any higher, doesn anyone know if there is some kind of safety switch that prevents from spinning the tires? O ya, I also did have traction control off so I'm not an idiot :) Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
g35guy8 said:
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, tonight I was trying to do a doughnut or a burnout in my 05 g35 auto....when I try to powerbrake, it revs up to about 3k rpms floored and won't go any higher, doesn anyone know if there is some kind of safety switch that prevents from spinning the tires? O ya, I also did have traction control off so I'm not an idiot :) Thanks guys!
maybe u have to switch the tranny to manual shift?

·
Registered
934 Posts
the G is not a V8... its not just gonna burn out like that... when torque braking the rear brakes are holding down the rear tires... stock i couldnt get the rear tires to spin... im sure i could prolly do it now with the mods i've done but if u got the stock 19's dont do it man... your gonna cry when its time to replace them... I paid almost a grand for decent replacements for the OEM 19's

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
of coarse you can peel out with the stock G.
just make sure the VDC (traction control) is off and that your are in manual mode. Keep it in first and power brake.

the only G that can not do a burnout is the AWD G35x Sedan while in AWD mode. In AWD mode - when powerbraked at 3k, the ATTESA-ETS system will actually pull you foward a few inches but at tremendous strain to the system

if you are still having trouble peel'in out in your coupe, throw some water under the rear tires.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The reason you can't get your rpm's over 3k is you've reached the 'stall' rate of your trannys torque converter and you're still in the low end of the stock VQ's hp and torque power curve.

They make high stall rate torque converters, like up in the 4k+ rpm range, (usually used for power launches) which then would allow the VQ to be higher in it's power curve range. But unless you're going to be doing 1/4 mi runs all the time it's not worth that conversion.

Do engine mods to bring the low end power curve up and you'll prob be able to break the tires loose. I wouldn't do this all the time with the stock auto tranny unless I beef it up. You might blow a seal or burn your tranny bands over time due to the high pressure and strain involved over it's designed operating capabilities.

As mentioned before, it's not a V8 and you'll feel the pain of tire replacement, not to mention the cost of a fryed tranny down the road.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Ok... I do not understand! I used to have a V6 auto camaro and never had any problem spinning tires, from a complete stop and or on any turn (and they were not shitty tires).

My G is a 6MT and I can easily make it spin out even with the tracktion control on (althogh it does kick on and stop me) but I can also easily make it spin tires going from 1st to 2nd gear and sometimes into 3rd. But I only did that once or twice. Kind of to know that I can do it and thats it. I like my car and the tires are too expensive to do it all the time.

Now what is powerbreaking? I am assuming it is something to do with Auto tranny - maybe I just don't know the terminology. just trying to get edjumacated :)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Power braking is holding down the brake and pushing the gas at the same time. The point of this is to get the rear tires to break loose. This method only works for rear drive cars, as pushing the brake normally puts most of the pressure on the the front brakes, allowing the rear tires to spin. In a front wheel drive car, to power brake, use the emergency brake to clamp the rear brakes and push the gas.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya I don't know guys I know its not a v8 but it feels like a pretty torquey motor....should be able to break them loose...it just revs up to 3k and stays there floored, I'm not really worried about the replacing of the tranny, thats what a warranty is for :) its just annoying that I couldnt break them loose....I had a camaro ss before this....6spd power braking was cake

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It all depends on where the torque is on the power band. It probably has to get momentum and valve timing before it breaks tires. I find on my 5AT it is easier to break the tires going 5-10 mph and flooring it, rather than off the line, because it is in that "sweet spot." Oh, and be careful, if you Ef your tranny and the dealer finds it was abused, good bye $3k+ from your wallet.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
One more thing, this is a luxury car, meant for high speed cruising or throwing around a curve or two, not a car to impress high school girls with burn outs, they already are the second you drive by.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm not to worried if it breaks....i have connections at the dealerships...and mostly those guys wont really care anyway, the car has under 5k miles on it. i want to do a standing burnout, not just a moving squeal, it just pisses me off thats all, i'm not stranger to doing a burnout and this car just wasnt having it:x

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DoggyDoor said:
One more thing, this is a luxury car, meant for high speed cruising or throwing around a curve or two, not a car to impress high school girls with burn outs, they already are the second you drive by.
I'm only 21 doggy, I still gotta impress the girls ;) not highschool, college, plus its just awesome to do a sweet burnout, when I get it down, I'll take some shots and post em up here

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Peak torque on your auto is 270ft lbs @ 4800 rpm. Don't know @ 3000, but a lot less for sure.
The G is for going fast and sticking to curves, not lighting them up a making a bunch of smoke and squeal.
Put skinny ass rear tires on it, then you can prob smoke it all you want. :p ;)
Or get some modz on that engine, then it'll prob do what you're wishing for.

Oh BTW....college girls are more gown up and are attracted/impressed by the looks and style of wip your in, not smoke and choke.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
well.... if you don't care about the tranny.... try a neutral drop. put the car in neutral, give it a bit of gas... 1K-2Krpms and then drop into drive while at the same time give it gas.

I did this on my AT V6 camaro and it did not work everytime because the GM Tranny wants to prevent you from doing this but if you time it right and the right RPMs then it worked rather well.

How ever I don't know about the G35 AT tranny since mine is a 6MT but I would guess it should be similar in the sense that if you time the switch from neutral to drive right you can break them loose!

Something to try anyway. ---- but only if you don't care about the tranny!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha my buddy tried to do that in his mustang, blew the rear apart, i dont think a little power braking will do so much damage, when i said i didnt care about it, i didnt mean i want to just destroy it...all im saying is the car should be able to smoke them easily

·
Registered
583 Posts
Like JustJ said, the stall speed is set pretty low by design. This usually means less torque multiplication from the torque converter -- by design to improve overall drive train efficiency. Older American cars (especially the ones sold here, where people used to not care about gas mileage) were designed to let the engine spin high, achieving significant torque multiplication from the torque converter, in the power braking situation. The torque converter on those camero's probably doubles the engine torque at stall. That, plus the fact that those cars have much less weight on the rear (worse balance compared to the G), and possibly not as sticky tires, make the Camero's a better show than the G for burn outs.

So if you don't want a manual, and don't want to do any mods, you have to give up that hope. Or wait for a very cold day with some dust on smooth asphalt, power brake it, then slide off the brake pedal as quickly as you can and hope for some sustained chirp. Good luck.

And to answer your question in the Racing section... Yes, the manual is that much faster :) and more fun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i had a rental g35 automatic sedan once when i was leaving my g35 coupe there for service. i knew once i got into that car i was going to bust donuts and shit. well i can tell you one thing, puting it into neutral and just giving it sum gas bfore you drop it into drive wont make it peel out. it will chirp the tires but not make it peel out. you have to go about 5 to 10 miles and then put it into neutral and rev around 31/2k rpm and then drop it into drive while punching it.... you will be pealing out for a long time. oh yeah and make sure you have the vcd turned off. as for the donuts just get into a empty parking lot and just go about 5 to 10 miles... then do a slight turn in the opposite direction you wanna do the donut then sharply turn to the direction you want and gas it while you do that and you will be busting donuts for breakfest.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Edge said:
Like JustJ said, the stall speed is set pretty low by design. This usually means less torque multiplication from the torque converter -- by design to improve overall drive train efficiency. Older American cars (especially the ones sold here, where people used to not care about gas mileage) were designed to let the engine spin high, achieving significant torque multiplication from the torque converter, in the power braking situation. The torque converter on those camero's probably doubles the engine torque at stall. That, plus the fact that those cars have much less weight on the rear (worse balance compared to the G), and possibly not as sticky tires, make the Camero's a better show than the G for burn outs.

So if you don't want a manual, and don't want to do any mods, you have to give up that hope. Or wait for a very cold day with some dust on smooth asphalt, power brake it, then slide off the brake pedal as quickly as you can and hope for some sustained chirp. Good luck.

And to answer your question in the Racing section... Yes, the manual is that much faster :) and more fun.
The manual is not much much faster then the auto... it depends most on the driver.. luckily for us auto owners nissan did a good job with the auto on the G and the auto tranny does not loose that much more power then the manual.... second off once you get into large amounts of power it wont matter much... the benefits of having a manual like powershifting dont really matter anymore... powershift in a 400+hp car and there goes your clutch... i use to race at Ontario a lot... and i've ran a couple stick G's... not the REV-UP's but the 03-04 models and let me tell you there wasnt a huge difference... one of the drivers was powershifitng and it was a close race all the way down... i've raced 4 g's 3 of them stick one auto... lost to only one of the stick g's and that was by a car.. the others i took by a half a car to a car length and the other auto G i took him by a car length.. it all depends on the driver... however i will agree with a pro driver behind the wheel of the G, he'll prolly spank me... but once you start talking serious power... it all depends on whos car is better modded, auto or stick

the one benefit stick has is that the tranny is stronger and can hold more power... however upgrade the auto tranny... new clutch packs, valve body uograde, bulletproof torque converter, and you have something that can hold a serious amount of power.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Next oil change.... I will have to obuse the car that I get from the dealer :)

but I do agree with the last comment! it all depends on the driver... although... stock... the 6MT is a bit faster than the AT :rolleyes: (if you take the driver out of the equation).

1 - 20 of 87 Posts