Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of what "motoman" has to say on this web page?

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hmmm, I'm not well versed enough in ring sealing to have an opinion on that one. Good find, but we'll have to see what everyone else says... any mechanics out there?

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good web page, thanks. It leads me to believe that I can't screw up. You could argue either Babying it or given 'er. Time for me to get those revs up !!!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've always been a firm believer of riding it hard from the get go for several reasons:

1) I think of it as a training period for the car. Do I want to train it to be lame and sluggish, or do I want to train it to be a beast that knows what I mean when I put the pedal to the metal.

2) Warranty. If something goes wrong, I want it to happen within the first hundred miles or so. If it's willing to take the punishment from the beginning, I think it has a better chance of survival for the long haul.

3) I'm simply not a patient person when it comes to driving fast. This is my 4th new car and I've never stuck to the break-in theory. Never had a problem before either.

4) It's just plain fun to get the G going. I'll admit I haven't topped it out yet. 130 is as fast as I've gone so far, and boy does it ride nicely at 130. 140 is as fast as I've ever gone when I had a 95 Eclipse GS-T. I hope to pass that mark soon.

Just my thoughts

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well this is some very interesting information. I've always been a firm believer in following the manufactures break-in. I've used it on all my new vehicles including my 2000 Hayabusa that has seen the far side of 200mph(on speedo) many times and puts down 159.4 hp to the back tire(stock)and uses no oil and remains clean between changes. The wear of the cross-hatch that Motor-Man refers to makes good sense and using a gradually harder power applacation method will help avoid damage. I'll ask some of our Powertrain Enginers about this at work and report back their feelings on the artical. The one thing I can vouch for that he said in the artical is to Change the oil soon. I'd say within the first 100 miles for sure. I can't tell you the amount of shavings in the oil that I'd find in brand new off the assembly line engines that had just went through a five minute functional dyno test. The a good part of the shavings were from the transmission, but there was engine shavings also. So for all of you, don't forget that the transmission fluid or oil, should be changed early also. Never thought about it but, I bet it wouldn't hurt to change the deffintal oil either got new gears meshing together for the first time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talked with our Senior Powertrain Engineer about the Motor-Man break-in procedure and he agreed that it made sense but, desagreed with his theroy about the pressure of the combustion sealing the rings by pushing them out from behind. And also he said that you should NOT run full throttle near redline till at least 1000 miles are on the car. New engines don't need the typcal break-in as the old ones do. Just don't abuse them and you'll be fine. One other thing, the ECMs in production cars have NO learning capabilities. They only react to the present conditions the car is experiencing and adjusting for optimal performance.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G35Mike,

Thanks for the info.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
It is important to break-in the car right. It is more than the engine, it is the brakes, transmission and other components. You take it easy the first 500 miles and slowly bring your rpm's up. Avoid getting on the brakes hard at first so they can do their thing. Don't bog down the engine while it still has low miles, not that you should ever bog it down in the first place. In the process you will be learning your car and what the two of you are capable of. Change your oil every 3,000 miles and don't put nothing else but oil in it.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

Thanks for the info.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for thanking Mike, Ken.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Thanks for thanking Mike, Ken.
Thank you for thanking me for thanking Mike, Lead. [cheers]

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gardiner

Mike and Ken, thanks for being so thankful.

2003.5 G35 A5 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette

Mike wasn't thankful at all, but thanks for trying! [lol]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What's going on in here?!?!?!?!

6-speed

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VQ, thanks for doing a great job moderating.

-Ken

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Are you being sarcastic Kloh? [lol]

6-speed

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

VQ, thanks for asking kloh if he was being sarcastic!

[hypno]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This thread is freakin' me out.

6-speed

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

No sarcasm here, bro. But if you are so inclined, feel free to remove some of lead_foot's superfluous posts [:D]

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh
No sarcasm here, bro. But if you are so inclined, feel free to remove some of lead_foot's superfluous posts [:D]

What? Superfluous? You mean like this one:

G35Mike,

Thanks for the info.

-Ken
[boxing]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

What? Superfluous? You mean like this one:

G35Mike,

Thanks for the info.

-Ken
[boxing]

heh... I never said he couldn't dump mine either. Bedsides, I was truly thankful for the information! Very insightful.

[boxing]

-Ken

1 - 20 of 40 Posts