Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, check out this pic... is the clear plastic film part of the body side molding kit or is this standard on all coupes? I didn't order the kit but mine was delivered with it so I just said WTF... I've waited long enough, I'll take it. I'm glad the side "bumper" will prevent shopping cart and door dings, but I like the way the car looks better without it. I'm just not sure what the purpose of the clear film is? Any insight?

There's actually 2 pieces of film. The lower one is a little hard to see in this pic, but it's there.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It's standard.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is standard and is there for protection. Porsche started using these pieces of film on their 911's years ago. I guess the engineers decided that whenever a rear fenderwell bulges, or "flares", as they do on these cars and others, these areas are prime spots for rocks and other debris coming from the front tires.

I was also surprised to see them on the G. They lasted pretty well on my 911, so I didn't mind them on my new car. A bit of free protection never hurt.

6MT Coupe - Diamond Graphite - everything but nav

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not a bad innovation at all...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good Call BigPun that's exactly what they are intended for. Nissan uses them on thier Maxima also.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Registered
230 Posts
kloh - It looks like you put the side molding on your G. If you wouldn't mind, please post a pic of the whole profile - I've been thinking about putting them on my G, just wanted to get a better idea of the look. -- Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that makes some sense. The fact that the back doesn't flare out that much though makes me think it may not actually be that useful. In any case, I suppose it's a good thing.

jarrettblue, here's a pic... you can also see more shots of my car in the member gallery.

-Ken

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Gardiner.... it's been in the gallery for quite some time now. I'm surprised you haven't seen it already!?!?

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Really makes me miss sunny California! Not that it's not sunny here in Houston, but it's just not the same.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

Really makes me miss sunny California! Not that it's not sunny here in Houston, but it's just not the same.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's beginning to REAL HOT where I live, but I suppose that's not real different from what you have out there in good 'ol texas either. It's already gettin' up into the 90s during the afternoons. Won't be long before we're in triple digits!

-Ken

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think we only hit the 3 digit mark 3 times last summer. It was a fairly mild one. I'm sure we'll pay dearly this year for it.

[V]

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
230 Posts
kloh - - Looks awesome [thmsup] ...Thanks!!!
If you don't mind me asking, where did you order the side moldings from. I was actually at my dealer today (Ray Catena in NJ), and they said they can't get the side moldings in yet. Thanks again!!!

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jarrettblue

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order the side moldings from. I was actually at my dealer today (Ray Catena in NJ), and they said they can't get the side moldings in yet. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
jarrettblue, thanks for the compliments. my car actually came from the factory with the moldings on already.

regards,

-Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's funny..hmmmm.....I called my dealer in New Orleans yesterday to inquire about the body side molding. They didn't have it in stock, but said they could get them overnight. Sure enough, they came in this morning and now they are installed on my car. Maybe it's just your dealer. These guys at Crescent City Infinit have been great. Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
The film on the sides don't look the great but provides a lot of protection... its made by 3m and will protect the finish from a rock traveling up to 10 miles an hour. Acutally I am having addtional pieces of film placed on the headlight lens to protect them. I am debating whether or not I will add the film to the front tip of the hood... How does the body side moulding look on the coupe? Couldn't tell from your pic.

RJC

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rcastle

How does the body side moulding look on the coupe? Couldn't tell from your pic.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Personally, I like the clean lines of the car better without the side moldings. You can compare them with and without in the member gallery. As far as I can tell, mine and Bigpun's are the only coupes with it.

-Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts