Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any G35 6MT owners converts from BMW cars, M or otherwise? If so, I'd like to know what your experience has been vs. your BMW. My interest is primarily in road feel and handling.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sold my 1995 M3 to my brother when I bought my G. The M3 will probably always be my favorite car cuz that is the one I took to the track and really became comfortable with. I even prefer it over the 911 and XKR I have had since because of that comfort level. I did not want the new M3 for various reasons.

The G has alot going for it. After 800+ miles I am getting more comfortable with the handling and I am already starting to take turns at "M" speed. At first I felt that the G was not as stable, but I was wrong. The M gave me more feedback and brakes better.

The G looks alot better. After XKR coupe, it is the sexiest car under 100K. Second it is alot smoother - you don't realize how fast you are going until you look down. The old M might barely take it in the 0-60 category but for mid $30k you get power leather, 6 speeds, 280hp wrapped in a great package. I paid more 8 yrs ago for my BMW! Also, the G will have plenty of perf upgrades coming down the pipe.

Hope this helps.

6MT Coupe - Diamond Graphite - everything but nav

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not yet, but seriously considering the move. With my recent test drive on a 6MT, it is about the same level of a 330ci, except in the drivetrain and suspension refinement. The bimmer always feels ready to go, and does so with butterly smooth response.

IMO, the G has beaten the 330ci in most other area and cost several thousands less, but the lack of refinement (only when compare to the E46) still bothers me. So, I'm not sold yet.

--
V. Wan. 2001 330ci 5spd.SP.PP.DSC-3

--
VWan - 2001 330ci.5spd.SP.PP.DSC-3

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
A couple Bimmers were on my short list. Specifically, the 330ci and the Z4. I see far too many of the 3 series around here and I liked the styling of the coupe better. The Z in its final incarnation struck me as a bit of a poseur with the exhaust subwoofer and 3 series underpinnings.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses. I am definitely hooked on the G car's aesthetics over the BMW. But, on my initial test drive, I was disappointed, feeling a somewhat lazy first gear (maybe the car was cold), something less than the direct acceleration I have gotten used to in my BMW's, and something less than the almost telepathic steering. In all, the test drive was good but didn't give me that emotional connection to the car.

If this was your initial feeling, i-would a longer test drive convince me?, and ii-does your appreciation for the car increase or decrease as you drive it each day?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

-- M

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I for one have been loving the ride more and more each day. I did think it was pretty great when I first drove it, but it gets better as the confidence in the car increases and you rip around every corner!

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by lead_foot

I for one have been loving the ride more and more each day. I did think it was pretty great when I first drove it, but it gets better as the confidence in the car increases and you rip around every corner!

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey Lead, I'm feeling you bro. This car is growing on me like 'Jack & The Bean Stalk' every day that passes. The only thing I hate is that the gas needle doesn't like me enjoying the car that often, and it sure transmits it's feelings! That's why I find my self light-throttling around town... can't wait for Amoco premium to drop to a buck and a half! [jump2]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
33 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

That's why I find my self light-throttling around town... can't wait for Amoco premium to drop to a buck and a half! [jump2]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Buck and a half? I'm still looking to get the gas under $2.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But, on my initial test drive, I was disappointed, feeling a somewhat lazy first gear (maybe the car was cold), something less than the direct acceleration <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm wondering how good you are with a stick. I don't mean to be condescending at all and I'm not trying to insult you, but the 6 speed in the G is significantly more responsive in my experience to the point of being overbearing and requiring a little practice. It's a true short throw sport tranny and it's response is significantly better than the BMW as a result. Unless of course you comparing this to an M class car. In that case, you're not exactly comparing apples here and your complaints are about what you can expect for $20k less.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">and something less than the almost telepathic steering.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Again, I find this strange as both my own experience and the reviews of every car magazine I've seen have all said the exact opposite. The G's steering is so responsive that it can be a bit difficult for some. It's far tighter than the BMW which can be a bit off-putting to the luxury crowd but rewards you in far better handling.

This is of course unless you're comparing it to an M in which case again I will remind you of the $20k delta.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To Semi On:

Points well taken. Although I am currently an X5 driver, I am wanting to get back in the direction of the two E36 M3's I owned. Price difference aside compared to the E46 M3, I probably need more time behind the wheel to get the feel and see what you all seem to see.

Thanks.

-- M

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed with Semi's comment. The 6MT has shorter and more precise shifter, the clutch takeup is also smoother and more progressive than the 330ci, and comparable to the E46 M3 6spd. Rolling up and down the gears on the 6MT are quick and fun. The initial clutch pedal feel is slightly bit heavier than the E46, but the hearvier feel disappear after a couple of shifts. The brake and gas pedals are also well placed for heel-and-toe.

I made an appointment for an extended test drive early next week, can fill you in more.

--

·
Registered
4 Posts
Count me in. My 2002 530i was stolen, stripped, and subsequently totalled by my insurance company a couple of weeks back, and I'm now awaiting delivery of a loaded Coupe 6MT. I test drove the 330i with the limited edition Performance Package (235hp, 6sp), and it handled incredibly well and was very seductive, but honestly the 6MT has more features and performs better, for less money. Some carp about the G's interior, and while I would welcome any upgrades, I think it's certainly acceptable.

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery for a more detailed impression and comparison.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As promised a short while ago, here is my update on today's testing on a 6MT sedan and coupe.

Since most of the 6MT coupe are sold, the salesman gave most of the testing on their 6MT sedan demo car, a good 25mins drive on a mix of different road types, 6MT Coupe testing is very limited.

The 6MT-S engine is definitely noisier and less smooth, the whole drivetrain shakes a lot. 6MT Coupe exhaust sound improved the acoutics siginicantly, the drivetrain is bit smoother than the 6MT-S, but still not as refined as the Bimmer.

Both the 6MT-S and C give very good turn-in feel on corners, they both corner well, less body roll than my 330ci with sport package. However, the front lift from a standing start and dive from braking is very annoying, I don't mean smoking start and then stomp on the brakes, just from normal easy going stop-and-go traffic, the 6MT-S makes me feel like sea-sick, don't have enough time on the 6MT-C, so can't confirm the degree of annoynace yet. The 330ci has much better anti-squat and anti-dive suspension setup, hence, the car feel easier to speed-up and slow-down, i.e. more connected feel on acceleration and deceleration, no annoying up and down movement. I explained to the salesman who sit on the passenger side, and he also noticed the "bouncing" on the 6MT-S ever since I mentioned it. (BTW, he currently owns a 2000 328ci, and had spend some auto-X track time before)

The 6MT-S suspension is too soft and the unrefined drivetrain makes it hard to steal my heart from the Bimmer camp. The 6MT-C is much closer, however, I'll need to find more time behind the wheels to reconfirm.

The overall driving feel is still a bit less connected than the bimmer. My E46 feel easier to get it going and glide along, while the 6MT-S need to give a bit more initial push.

Many folks on the forum complained about the cheap-looking interior material, but I find they're on par with the 3-Series. I do notice the shortness of the armrest, the wierd shaped oil dipstick, and those misplaced cup holders. Well, they're not perfect, but a very minor compromise.

Since a BMW dealer is willing to give me a great 3 year lease deal on a 2004 330ci, and on top, give me additional equity for the end-of-lease vehicle due to low mileage and excellent condition, so the monthly payment for a loaded 2004 330ci (MSRP C$58k) virtually the same as a 2003 6MT-C (MSRP C$7k).

Still undecided. Will take a short cooling break and retest the 6MT-C more extensively.

--

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was contemplating getting a 330Ci instead of the G35 Coupe. The thing that got me is that there are a million BMWs in Miami and its getting so stale. PLus, everytime I saw a G35, I always freaked out[rockon]...Cause they are one great looking vehicle...By Far Infiniti has outdone themselves again.[cheers]

Almost Here | 2003 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yeah even if the 330 was faster, it's always gonna be a BMW! And down here I've already seen like 4 fully built ones, so go figure how many "rims & dropped" ones there are. That does not include the ricey tailight only upgrade ones... They are seriously getting played out. Long live the G35!!![bowdown]

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
15 Posts
I for one prefer the look of the G35 Coupe over the BMW 3 series despite the fact that I drive a 330ci at the moment, otherwise, I wouldn't waste time on this board to learn more from the owners.

The original poster, Mikey1123, was interested in the comparison on the matters regarding "road feel and handling". My replies are focus in the area of interest. And within the scope of the topic, I do find the G is lagging behind the Bimmer, not by a lot, by there is still a noticeable difference. I would invite everyone to spend sometime behind the wheels on both cars and come back with your opinion about the "road feel and handling" matter, not which one is faster or which is better looking.

We all have passions for certain type of car, and I do very much leaning towards the G35-C when looking at the whole package. However, when it comes to replying someone's request, let's be as objective as possible.

Peace.

--

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I do find the G is lagging behind the Bimmer, not by a lot, by there is still a noticeable difference. I would invite everyone to spend sometime behind the wheels on both cars and come back with your opinion about the "road feel and handling" matter, not which one is faster or which is better looking. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's not lacking at all. It was designed with a significantly different philosophy. The Bimmer is indeed smoother and softer and an easier ride. That's also why I eventually decided to go with the G. I was all but sold on the Z4 until I drove it. It drives like a family sedan, just like the 330 coupe. It certainly is smooth and soft but it lacks that sports feel.

The G is a rougher ride on purpose. It has significanly stiffer suspension for the sole pupose of performing better in the turns. The result is better handling when pushing the car around corners. I've driven both extensively and I've put both through some very hairy roads. The Bimmer sacrifices performance in order to provide a luxurious ride which is fine if that's what you're looking for. It's not what I wanted from a 280hp sports coupe.

In fact, the other night a slightly older M3 tried to keep up with me from Mill up through Galvin Parkway to McDowell (for the Az folks). While he would definitely catch up at the occassional straight away, he fell signficantly behind at every major turn. I do consider myself a good driver and a ballsy one at that so this certainly may have simply been the result of a less assure driver, but the result was one smoked Bimmer regardless.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
SC, make sure you relate the full story on the "Racing" forum! That's one more kill for the team people! I still don't know why he would catch up on the straight-aways though, unless you would let off occasionally to give him a chance. Road & track tests showed the G35C smoked the 330i coupe on top end...

XL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Semi, very well said. However, my personal experience differs slightly. First of all, I do agree the 330ci is too soft on the sport package suspension setup, the body roll is excessive. No doubt the G gives a much sportier feel. The E46 M3 has a stiffer setup than the 330ci SP, but there is still noticeable body roll, not nearly as bad as the 330ci. I really enjoy the precise steering feel and the great turn-in on the G.

What differs is the squat and dive from acceleration and braking respectively. With the 6MT-S (I don't have enough time with the 6MT-C to say for sure), despite the higher spring rates and shocks than the BMW, it seems to be more "floaty". There is a noticeable front-end lift every time I press on the accelerator (as mentioned before, not hard acceleration), my line-of-sight lift up with it. Even though the BMW does have front-end lift, but not as noticeable from the driver position. Similarly with the breaking situation. My wife and the salesman also notice this as I pointed out to them. We switch back and forth between cars to reconfirm this. BTW, I also find the 6MT-S suspension too soft as well. I would like to know how much better is the setup on the Coupe, anybody like to fill me in?

Other than the above mention issue, I also think the G beats the 330ci in most performance and handling regards. And priced C$10k lower.

P.S. To Semi, I do know you're a good driver just from reading your other messages in the forum. Thanks for all the quality postings here. [thmsup]

--

1 - 20 of 41 Posts