Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best portable GPS nav, with a decent size color screen? Also, how does the software work with those? Do you program in your trip at home? How much map data can those things hold?

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an older Palm IIIc. I don't know if it could handle any GPS software!!!

I'd like to get one that is portable, can hold a lot of map data (for trips where you don't have a set route) and isn't too expensive. I's also assume that these units can interface with a laptop for more data transfers on the road.

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
18 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

What's the best portable GPS nav, with a decent size color screen? Also, how does the software work with those? Do you program in your trip at home? How much map data can those things hold?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have a Garmin Street Pilot III in my MB E320. The new version comes with a larger memory cartridge, I think 64MB or 128 MB. Mine is 32 MB. It comes with a CD-ROM's with databases for the whole country including street maps and points of interest (POI) which are the name and address for restaurants, gas stations, ATM's, and many other businesses. You program the cartridge on a Windows based computer and and download as much of the CD-Roms of interest as you can onto the cartridge via USB link. With the 32 MB, I am able to get about 10-12 counties around the SF Bay area onto it. When I travel to So Cal, I need to reprogram before going. Or if you use a laptop, I guess you could reprogram as you go. It work pretty similar to many car navi systems with a color lcd screen and vocie guidance. One of the few drawbacks is no muting of radio/CD when the voice guidance is going. You also need to mount it on your dash for decent reception, unless you get an external antenna. I got one which mounts magneticaly on the roof. You can probably find it for about $700 or less on Ebay.

Jim
6MTCoupe/DesertPlatinum/Graph/Prem/Nav/Aero

1 - 4 of 4 Posts