Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 6mt coupe has about 34k miles on it, and I noticed that there is a slight screeching noise (almost like a high pitch whistle) coming from what could be the belt during idle. It seems to happen on and off...but I can't really tell what the cause is...

Has anyone experienced this?

Could some friction between the belt and pulleys affect performance?

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
I haven't yet.

Unlikely unless there is major belt slippage it wouldn't be affecting your performance.

You can (1) try and use belt dressing first and if the slippage still doesn't stop, then (2) change your belts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if you take it in and they just change the belt, check the inside of the pulleys to make sure thats not the problem. they may just throw another belt on and hope it lasts until its out of warranty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
DO NOT USE the belt dressing, It is like glue to make it stick and not slip, but it is very bad for the belt and is only a temporary fix. I had this problem, but I just had our mechanics tighten the tensionsers and spray the belts with carb spray to clean them, let it idle for a few mins and more carb spray, Haven't had this problem since. Mine only started squeeking after i got the Unorthodox pulley set. No problem now though!!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
^^+1. Belt dressing should not be used, as it is a temporary and damaging fix. It is pretty gross and it get all over your engine stuff (Why Gzire!?). It is probably just the tensioner. I had this problem, not with the G. Used belt dressing, bad idea, had the alternator tightened down, and the noise went away.

·
Premium Member
35,666 Posts
What? You guys don't let the belt dressing dry before you turn the car over?

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^+1. Belt dressing should not be used, as it is a temporary and damaging fix. It is pretty gross and it get all over your engine stuff (Why Gzire!?). It is probably just the tensioner. I had this problem, not with the G. Used belt dressing, bad idea, had the alternator tightened down, and the noise went away.
What do you mean alternator tighten?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tightened both belts and it still squeaks and the belts are six month old only.
One thing many people don't do is clean the pulleys with a wire brush before installing a new belt. The old belt tends to leave its residue between the pulley grooves. Give that a shot. I'll bet it goes away.
Make sure the AC belt and pulleys are squared away as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thx I’ll give it a try
If it's a pulley( round and has groovesin it), clean it. You'll have several. Don't be afraid to use some dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle. Let dry before installing New belts. Also, try a Gatorback belt. Those are great for eliminating noise too.
Edit:

Goodyear Gatorback belts and hoses are now branded Continental Elite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it's a pulley( round and has groovesin it), clean it. You'll have several. Don't be afraid to use some dish soap mixed with water in a spray bottle. Let dry before installing New belts. Also, try a Gatorback belt. Those are great for eliminating noise too.
Edit:

Goodyear Gatorback belts and hoses are now branded Continental Elite.
Awesome thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts