Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for comments from owners regarding the Jul2003 Consumer Reports article, which compared the G35 sedan to the CTS, Maxima, LS, and 9-3. I would think this would be a no-brainer comparison -- with the G35 on top in all catagories. For the most part, good comments. But, it did say:

"Handling is fairly nimble in normal driving. The steering is responsive but doesn't provide as much feedback as we'd like. When pushed hard in a corner, lifting off the gas encourages the tail to slide out -- an effect that the standard stability control system works hard to control. The G35's speed in the avoidance maneuver was high, but it wasn't as predictable as the other cars here."

I did notice by looking at the test car picture that this is NOT the sport suspension (6 spoke wheels). Also an auto trans.

Looking for comments as the G35 is currently at the top of my list, edging out the 330i sport susp. car. Anybody notice unpredictable handling at the extremes? I have test drove twice, but have not come close to aggressive driving. How much of a difference would the sport suspension and sport tires make? This is the first I have seen the press make comments such as this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don, You are depending upon an organization that tests washing machines and clock radios. Try any of the car rags and I think you will end up with a slightly different result. I looked, drove and asked about everything for about 3 months before acknowledging that the G-35 was the one for me and my family. My friends and business associates have most of the competitors cars including 328's, 540's, A-4's, A-6's, S-60's, TL's and IS-300's. While we all love our cars dearly, the concenseous opinion is that the G-35 is far and away the best for the buck. If money were no object, it would be an M-5.

I own a G-35 Sedan 6MT with the premium package, sports suspension, wheels and what-not. Knowing that you are looking at performance sedan, I think you should use this as the benchmark. So far, I have converted one of my buddies to the G. He traded in an IS-300 on lease and bought a 6MT. Now he won't leave me alone about how much better a car it is.

Driving the G-35: I have had two life-threating near misses in the first three months of ownership: One 75 MPH spin-out on a 35 MPH corner in a canyon (Wen I turned off the VDC to see what happens) and a panic stop that I drove around a serious accident in the rain. The first I will remedy by putting larger wheels and tires in the rear when the stock ones wear out. The second is a testament of how good this car really is, not just at going fast but keeping it in control. The SUV that was behind me was not so lucky in spite of it's size. People got hurt.

Drive-ability: I often drive into the Central Valley here in California where cruising at 80-90 MPH is the norm. This car loves that. I get out of the car after a 400 mile drive relaxed and refreshed, a testament to the quality of the ride, seats and ergonomics. Not easy to ascetain in a 10 minute test drive.

Learing Curve: It took me 4 hours and 12 gallons of gas to learn how to shift the 6MT. I moved up from 5 speed G-20 (170,000 miles...) and it took some getting used to. Now I average 24-25 MPG when cruising and can blow the doors off just about anything getting on the freeway. There are a few things which are unique on this car, but they add character. As for the off-hand comments from CU, I think you need to contrast that with MT's car of the year award and the overwhelming positive comments that have been published bu others.

Summary: I test drove the 330i. Twice. This is a great car too. However, if you don't need the virtual manhood extension and want to
keep the extra 8-10 Grand, the G-35 is the way to go. I have 9000 of the 200,000 miles that I will put on this and I will keep you posted as I go.

G35/S/6MT DP over Graphite, Premium.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quality input/feedback. Thats what I was looking for. As I mentioned, I am leaning to the G35, and probably more so after another test drive this last Sat. Had a chance to test drive by myself, getting up to 100mph and testing the dynamic stability control in a large parking lot. Have to say it worked well, as I was making turns at 40mph and never spun out.

As far as price, I am keeping the total price of my new purchase down by eliminating sunroof and prem. package. Just don't see the value (I am a very frugal finanical analyst). The bare bones 330i w/ sport susp. is about 4,000 more (factoring in expected discounts off of MSRP). Hard to justify, and I will probably be placing an order for an '04 sedan 6MT tomorrow, looking for delivery in Aug/Sep.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I look forward to seeing you tooling around in one of these gems. As for being frugal, I am with you, but the leather seats that come with the 6MT are so sweet. They are standard on the 6MT, but part of the leather sedan in the Automatic. The sunroof, I could do without, the Stereo is basic Bose and it sounds okay. My kids love the reclining back seats and I like the seat memories as my bride is the better part of 10 inches shorter than me. Having that seat go where it belongs everytime, may be worth the cost of the Premium package in itself. The other thing to consider, is you are going to be able to play ball with the dealer with the inventory he has on the lot. This may not be the case if you are searching for a no-option model to save a few bucks. Best of luck!

G35/S/6MT DP over Graphite, Premium.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts