Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to no y'alls experience with the automatic Headlights. I'm not sure if mine works the way it's suppose to work. Seems like when I leave it on auto, the second I start my engine, hte lights go on (in my garage), and after I pull it out and there's enough light, the lights go off. I guess my questions is, if you put it on automatic, do the lights always come on automatically (day or night) and then adjust. Seems to me they should detect the brightness first then turn on or stay off. Having said that, do most of y'all use the auto fuintion or just turn it on and off when needed.

Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're in a garage with not enough light. The lights come on. That's their job.

If you were in the sunlight, they wouldn't come on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but does it always come on right away? I figured it take at least 30 secs or so to figure there wasn't enough light and then turn on.

Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
There was a thread awhile back that told how the dealer can change the settings to make them come on a little later. The dealer has to make the change unless you have access to the tech tool they use.

2003.5 Blue Sedan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I remember that thread. But I guess my real question is what does everyone else's coupe do. Does y'alls lights come on the second you start your engine or not (day or night)?

2003 Laser Red Coupe/5AT/Graphite/Premium/Sport/Aero

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well it really is plain and simple like Semi mentioned before Scooby. IF there is enough daylight as in if your car is outside and you turn you ride on...they will NOT come on. It is instant detection on whether there is enough light or not. I have driven under an overpass that was not lit during the daytime and my lights came on for the 2 seconds I was driving underneath the bridge then turned right back off as soon as I got out from under the bridge. Yes if you are in your garage they WILL come on instantly cause there is not enough daylight. If your car is outside and its daytime they will NOT come on the second you start your car. Hope this helps a bit...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I stopped using the auto headlights for that reason. I pull out of the garage every day. It ain't worth the wear on my Xenons. The dealer can, in fact, adjust them to turn on later, but that would mean they always turn on later. So, if you're getting in your car at night, the lights won't come on until whatever interval you have it set to. Could be too long in some cases. Tunnels are also a problem. It's not a big deal if they're long tunnels, but if they are relatively short but *just long enough* they will turn on and off. Again, not worth the wear IMHO.

It isn't too hard to flip the switch when I want them on.

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When I travel under an overpass, my headlights automatically switch on due to the increased shade, then when I am exposed to direct sunlight once again, they switch off. I heard this abrupt on/off switching can't be good, so I began turning the light switch to "off" right before entering the shady area, then to "auto" again after exiting. There's not many overpasses here in Miami, so it's not much of a burden to keep my eyes on the switch.

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Quick on and off cycles are not good for them, That what makes the manual setting bad. When you turn them on as it goes past auto at night they come on. Then as you go past parking to headlights they go off and then on again. Just what you don't want them doing.

2003.5 G35 A4 Sedan
2003 Z06 Corvette

·
Registered
94 Posts
well i leave my HIDs on all of the time. call me a poseur if you must. my problem is that they stay on for like 3 or 4 minutes after i have turned the car off. can the dealer adjust that as well?

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yes. It's intended to help you get into wherever you're going. Have the dealer adjust them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey,
Could some one break down the Modes for the Auto Headlight Feature. I am going to my dealer on Friday and I want to have him make my settings less sensitive. My dealer has no real idea what the Modes are and the documentation they have is very vague.

Mode 1 =
Mode 2 =
Mode 3 =
Mode 4 =

Thanks [cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
HID lights do not come on immediately. It takes a few secs for them to come on full brightness. I don't use the auto function. I just turn them on and off myself.

03 Laser Red 6MT | Willow int | No fancy stuff | 30% Tint and 3M Clear Bra

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I was actually condsidering covering up the light sensor that the Auto On/Off headlights use. That way I could have "daytime" running lights and they will still automatically turn off after I walk away from the car (which is a cool feature I think because everybody is always like "you left your lights on" and you can just reply with a "they'll turn off"--it is a pretty good attention getter). Also I think that if the lights were just on all of the time then I would get so aggravated around dusk when they flip between on and off depending on if I am in a shadow or not.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Also I think that if the lights were just on all of the time then I would get so aggravated around dusk when they flip between on and off depending on if I am in a shadow or not.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've actually been looking for this and I can find no such behavior. They do turn on, however, if I'm sitting under a freeway overpass for a long while, though.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Mode 1: Normal (Factory setting)
Mode 2: Sensitive
Mode 3: Less Sensitive
Mode 4: More Sensitive

Please note, however, that this has nothing to do with the actual time it takes before the lamps will come on. It's just based on light sensitivity. I wanted mine changed so when I went through tunnels it wouldn't turn on. However, if the tunnel is very dark, it will still turn on, no matter how sensitive you set it. When I realized this, I basically went back to not using the auto function. However, if your garage is light enough in the morning, perhaps a less sensitive setting would be good for you.

-Ken

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
And here's a link to the BCM Chart

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

I've actually been looking for this and I can find no such behavior. They do turn on, however, if I'm sitting under a freeway overpass for a long while, though.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I found it odd at first, but it has been happening quite often since I moved here to Gainesville. It is extremely aggravating to watch the Nav switch from Night/Day every 10 seconds...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts