Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to this group. I am planning to get the 6MT soon (next week [:D]). My only problem now is the audio system. I have already order my two amps plus a pair of Focal Utopia 165w. The two amps are Phoenix Gold TI 500.4 and JL 500.1. I am planning to run the focal utopia as bi-amplification with the phoenix gold 4 channel amp and the JL 500.1 powering the sub.

Now the biggest problem i have is the head unit. Anyone figure out how to replace the factory head unit? I just bought an alpine 7995. I was told by the dealer that the stock radio unit can not be taking out cause of the AC.

I am an audiophile that is the music will be from the front only. I don't to hear anything from the rear speaker. That will destroy the imaging.

Anyway, enough audio stuff...i need help with installing a new head unit. Can someone kindly guide me to the right person that can assist me? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Smoking system! Return the Alpine.

You're not getting that face plate out even if you could find a way to make it look like anything other than ass as it's all one unit. The dealer wasn't lying to you. The board that controls the AC is in there with the CD player.

That said, it won't make much of a difference. The head unit is designed by Clarion and very good. The problem is in the amps and speakers.

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
72 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On
That said, it won't make much of a difference. The head unit is designed by Clarion and very good. The problem is in the amps and speakers.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, I wouldn't say it's very good. No line outs, no line ins, no CDRW support, and no MP3 support. Sound quality may be up to par, but realistically I'm not ever going to spend the cash on good speakers and soudproofing to test that theory out.

The 6 disc changer is useful, though it takes forever to switch CDs. Except for when it's at the end of a CD it will move the magazine rack into place before the last song is finished. That's pretty cool. Still, I'd rather have a nice MP3 player and CDRW support. Better yet, give me a CompactFlash slot, I got tons of those laying around from my camera system. Damn, I need to get a job at an audio company or better yet just do it myself. Now where those threads go about rewiring the SAT button go... [smoking]

6MT Sedan-Sliver-Premium-Aero-Winter-Trunk mat with Infiniti logo :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Well, I wouldn't say it's very good. No line outs, no line ins, no CDRW support, and no MP3 support. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I see what you mean. I was speaking strictly of sound quality rather than feature set.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
When are car audio manufacturers going to get off their asses and design a decent MP3/AAC player? If they can build a 30 gig iPod, they sure as hell can find a way to put a small hard drive into the dash... with compact flash or firewire or USB connectors -- or even better, some wireless technology like Bluetooth -- anything to make the transfer of music easy. Find a way to Integrate it with the Nav screen, and you've got one awesome setup (minus the crappy amps and speakers, of course).

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all of your inputs. I decided to check out an audio shop in Huntington Beach. The guy that work there have a G35 Sedan. What he did was to install an alpine head unit where the factory Navigational DVD player. It is above the glove compartment. Since his alpine has a remote control, didn't bother him much. I have to admitt, his system is one of the best i have ever heard.

So with that in mind, i will go that route. Place the head unit where the DVD player for the navigational system.

Sorry, i will resort to using the factory unit if by no other mean. My philosophy is to enjoy life while you can. Having a nice sport coupe without an awesome tune? That doesn’t do justice for the car….hehehhehe [^]

Thanks...i will keep you ladies and gentles update as where and how my sound system is setup.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

If they can build a 30 gig iPod, they sure as hell can find a way to put a small hard drive into the dash... with compact flash or firewire or USB connectors -- or even better, some wireless technology like Bluetooth -- anything to make the transfer of music easy.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I hear you Ken. I've been waiting on my iTrip for my iPod since I ordered it in January. Should be shipping today according to them. This will give me access to the 5000 songs on my iPod through any FM station!

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
lead_foot, let me know how that sound quality is when you get it. I've been considering that option as well. Sure beats the hell out of burning hundreds of CDs...

-Ken

-------
2003 G35C
5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Will do. Should get it next week some time.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
g35mt,

As an unabashed audiophile myself, I'd like to throw something out that you can agree with or disagree with, doesn't much matter, but I think you ought to consider.

The head unit has far less to do with sound output than most think. The ability to hold a stable laser to read a track and convert that information into a line level analog signal really isn't very hard any more. So long as good DACs are used in the head unit, which I would expect from Clarion who is every bit Alpine's peer in that regard, the speakers and the EQ will have such a dominant role in sound reproduction as to make most other concerns trivial.

I would highly recommend you have your amps and speakers AND AN EQ installed first and listen to the results. If you aren't happy with the reproduction, then consider the rather ghetto solution of sticking a head unit in the glove box. That's a cluge and pretty inelegant for a luxury car. It would be my last resort.

On a side note, have you heard Dynaudio? I like Focal quite a bit but I find their highs a bit bright, much like MB Quarts, to my ear. The silk dome tweater of the Dynaudio is far more attractive to me. Though, of course, they're a bit more than all but the highest end Focals.

Post pics when you're done!

Regards,
Semi

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Semi,

Last night i have given a lot of thought about using the factory head unit. The only problem I might see if the factory head unit is a pre amp only or a built in AMP. I know that there is a blose amp that supply to all the speaker. If the factory head unit is a pre amp only, then i will probally go that route. One reason why i bought that alpine head unit is a pre-amp only. As true audiophile, we like to reduce the signal path as much as possible. Before i had a Kenwood Excelon mini disc plus changer. Then i replace with Pioneer head unit with pre amp only. The sound between the two are so great that i told myself, never buy a head unit with amp built in it.

I have never use a clarion head unit before so i wouldn't know the sound quality of it. As for the EQ, i don't like eq cause it will increase signal path and at the same time, i like to listen music naturally without any modification to the signal.

As for the Dynaudio, I had the home speaker before. I love their speaker for home, but one thing for sure, they sucks a lot of power. I had a Sonic Frontier tube amp and preamp. When i audition the Dynaudio Countour 1.2 mkii with my existing setup, it was okay but my amp isn't powerfull enough. My tube amp rated at 40 watts per channel still couldn't drive the 1.2mkii (this speaker is a bookself speaker too). As you know, 40 watts from tube is like 200 watts solid state amp. I went with another french made speaker call Triangle Titus instead. Honestly, i had focal speaker before and i love it. As matter fact, i have them in my current car right now (not the utopia).

The focal speaker especially the high, is a little tin compare to the Dynaudio 240 or the diamond audio. But you know something, the mids on the focal are excellence compare to the two. I listen to vocal music more often therefore, i chose the focal instead. As for MB Quartz, not gonna touch them...they have exaggerated high. If you listen long time you will feel fatigue. I would recommend you to look into the Diamond audio cause they used the similar mid driver as the focal but they have soft dome tweeter.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The only problem I might see if the factory head unit is a pre amp only or a built in AMP.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's a preamp. The amp is in the trunk in a little compartment back by the spare tire. However, it uses non-standard line outs in true Bose fashion. You can buy a little converter that changes this to line level for anywhere between $20-80 depending on from whom you shop.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The sound between the two are so great that i told myself, never buy a head unit with amp built in it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So long as it has line level outputs, you'd be fine as they always bypass the internal amplification section. I would, of course, always use an external amp as the space constraints put to head units preclude good, high power construction.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As for the EQ, i don't like eq cause it will increase signal path and at the same time, i like to listen music naturally without any modification to the signal.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree with you in principle, but I disagree with this sentiment entirely with regard to car audio as do most show car builders. The problem with a car is that the internal space varies so wildly, that the speaker manufacturers can not predict how a speaker will sound in any given install. As such, an EQ does a LOT of good in adjusting for the variability in your automobile.

As an EE, I can assure you that a filter stage (which is basically all an EQ is) doesn't add much, if any, noise to the line level signal and the gains of being able to compensate for your shitty listening environment more than make up for that in my opinion.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As for the Dynaudio, I had the home speaker before. I love their speaker for home, but one thing for sure, they sucks a lot of power. I had a Sonic Frontier tube amp and preamp. When i audition the Dynaudio Countour 1.2 mkii with my existing setup, it was okay but my amp isn't powerfull enough. My tube amp rated at 40 watts per channel still couldn't drive the 1.2mkii (this speaker is a bookself speaker too). As you know, 40 watts from tube is like 200 watts solid state amp. I went with another french made speaker call Triangle Titus instead. Honestly, i had focal speaker before and i love it. As matter fact, i have them in my current car right now (not the utopia).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And this is true of their car audio as well. However, I assume your bridging that 4 way amp for input into the crossover of your component speakers. That's 250W to each set which should be MORE than enough for a set of Dynaudio components.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As for MB Quartz, not gonna touch them...they have exaggerated high. If you listen long time you will feel fatigue.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agreed, but I feel the same way about Focal...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I would recommend you to look into the Diamond audio cause they used the similar mid driver as the focal but they have soft dome tweeter<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Personally, IF I decide to swap out the Bose system (something I haven't committed to yet), I'll be pushing a JL 300x2 to a set of Dynaudios. However, as much as I hate this Bose setup, I'm not sure I want to worry about it. I'm considering buying a house and I just dropped $10k on my home theater. Besides, I drive around with my windows down and sun roof open 99% of the time so I'm not sure I can expect too much here.

By the way, what sub are you going to push with that JL 500.1?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Semi,

I will first try the factory head unit with Phoenix Gold amp and JL 500.1 for the sub. If the sound is not up to par, then i will go and use the mickey mouse installation.

Since the phoenix gold is a 4 channel amp and the focal 165w can do bi amplification, i will use the two channel for the tweeters and 2 channel for the mids. Focal is the only speaker out there that give you the ability to bi amp.

The JL Audio 500.1 will drive my JL 10 inch sub. I believe the model number is 10w4. I know that they have a new series out but not sure if i want to upgrade yet. I hear the Image Dynamic and Alumina Pros are good sub too. What i will do is throw the spare tire out and perform the custom installation for the sub and place the two amps in that area. Crap...mo money now...

BTW, i was thinking about getting a house too, but i told myself...i am still single with no GF...screw it [:D]. Enjoy while i can before i get marry or something.

The signal output from the factory head unit, it is high level output? Or i have to buy a special adapter that is specific to bose?

Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
254 Posts
[dunno]Hey guys--not trying to sound like an ass, but why spend all of that dough on a CAR audio system--cars are just not the best place to try to build a spectacular audiophile system--i mean it can be done, but unless u live in your car is it really worth it??? Don't get me wrong--i love good sound too--at home i have sony es seperates pushing klipsch reference speakers--yea--i could do better-but this is good enough--besides like semi said how often do you drive with the windows and sunroof closed? once they are open, most of that acoustic quality goes out the window--throw a different amp on it so it is louder and clearer and dump the money into something else[phones]

CMEGOBYU
03.5 G35s Pearl,Sprt,Aero

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CMEGOBYU,

I spent at least 2 hours per day sitting in the car, dang Southern Cali traffic. That is the only reason why i upgrade the sound system. But i was to spend only 30 minutes or less, then you are right. No point of upgrading.

Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
254 Posts
damn man--2 hrs a day--just curious how many miles do u go in 2 hrs--they say charlotte and atlanta have bad traffic, but i have heard its worse there[banghead]

CMEGOBYU
03.5 G35s Pearl,Sprt,Aero

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CMEGOBYU,

Hehehehe...try to drive during traffic hour in Southern California. Before i used to live in San Jose, 8 miles to work. It took me 45 minutes, doesn't matter whether you take local or freeway. ANd Los Angeles traffic is even worst.

Steven

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Since the phoenix gold is a 4 channel amp and the focal 165w can do bi amplification, i will use the two channel for the tweeters and 2 channel for the mids. Focal is the only speaker out there that give you the ability to bi amp.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I wasn't aware the Utopia did this. However, my point remains, the same setup would work for the Dynaudio flawlessly.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The JL Audio 500.1 will drive my JL 10 inch sub. I believe the model number is 10w4. I know that they have a new series out but not sure if i want to upgrade yet. I hear the Image Dynamic and Alumina Pros are good sub too. What i will do is throw the spare tire out and perform the custom installation for the sub and place the two amps in that area. Crap...mo money now...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's actually what has kept me from doing it. I was planning on doing the same thing with the same model of sub and amp, but I wanted the wheel well enclosure fiber glassed in so it would look perfectly factory made. The install is going to be $1600 at the least...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BTW, i was thinking about getting a house too, but i told myself...i am still single with no GF...screw it . Enjoy while i can before i get marry or something.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That was my mentality when I bought the car, but the market is looking so ripe that I fear I'm missing a lot of money by not buying now...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The signal output from the factory head unit, it is high level output? Or i have to buy a special adapter that is specific to bose? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There are little converters. Any installer that has done a job on a Bose system will probably be aware of them.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">damn man--2 hrs a day--just curious how many miles do u go in 2 hrs--they say charlotte and atlanta have bad traffic, but i have heard its worse there<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So. Cal is nasty. Due to the mountains there really is no alternative to taking the freeways. With over 10 million people, those roads get pretty crowded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just want to say thanks for all of your inputs. This forum is very good in that people here are generous and nice to give inputs. I am very grateful for all the information and hopefully, i will pick up my G35 6MT on tuesday. Can't wait...

Steven

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.