Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Two and a half weeks to replace an ignition switch and do a little body work? [image]http://jabberwoq.com/images/emoticons/flame.gif[/image]
I assume it's due to parts availability but, really, this seems excessive. And, "don't call us..."? WTF??! Rest assured that if the option existed, my future business would be placed elsewhere - shortly after I contacted the dealer owner and Infiniti consumer affairs. How the hell is Infiniti ever going to become a serious contender in the sport luxury slot with service such as that?

And, speaking of service, no loaner I presume? Did you have to make your own arrangements for alternative transportation? I've never paid for a rental car rider to my auto insurance policy, never felt I needed it really. But now, with the time it takes to get G parts, I'm seriously considering it...

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Sorry to hear that, alive. "Don't call us" is total crap! I understand that calling may not do any good, but they shouldn't tell you not to. And no loaner? That should be a given when dealing with a luxury car.

Is this service typical? Dholly, you sound like you've heard similar stories from other people. I haven't needed service yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. Hope it doesn't suck.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I have seen enough horror stories of cars sidelined for weeks waiting for parts to come in that I dread getting into an accident. But poor service is a separate issue - one I hope is the exception rather than the rule. Sorry, I can't offer much regarding personal service experiences. I have had no unscheduled service needs, knock on wood. I traded my '03.5 before it's first scheduled service, and haven't reached that yet with the '04. However, I did stop in to introduce myself to the local service manager and he is eager to please. For example, I went in to check wiring harness schematics for my audio upgrade project, and ended up spending an hour talking with him and a couple of techs. The techs seemed pretty well informed and they even offered me free diffusers, splash guards and spoiler they had laying around (too bad they were off a coupe!). So, things definately look promising for service to come. Fingers crossed, we'll see. Unfortunately, my Infiniti buying experience was decidedly less pleasant.

Upstate NY

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dholly
Unfortunately, my Infiniti buying experience was decidedly less pleasant.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What happened? My buying experience was pretty great, but the financing was a pain. Turns out they lied to me about what rates I could qualify for (from my own bank!) because in TX they're allowed to keep up to 3% for themselves.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
First, I knew what I wanted, was impatient and not willing to wait though an order cycle for a sedan. But the (one) local dealer didn't have what I wanted and despite their promises made only tepid efforts to locate it. Sales mgr never called to update me on locator progress, it was always me calling them. Over the course of a few weeks I was left with the distinct impression that it was simply too much work for them; apparently they already had plenty of buyers ready to take inventory off the lot. Order it and let us hold your large deposit for 3 months, or screw you. Plus, the prices they were quoting were no bargain at all.

Contact with the dealers in the two largest cities about an hour away resulted in either the same "...but we'll order it", otherwise pay MSRP for whatever is on our lot! Whether these were isolated experiences or they happen all too frequently given dealer density, dunno, but this is a connected world and I wasn't about to become hostage to them. I used the on-line inventory locator and found exactly what I wanted at four east coast dealers. Emailed each with an offer of $500 over invoice and, of two OKs, started fine tuning the dollars with a dealer in the next state. Ultimately, after figuring all fees, accessories, etc., paid about $300 over plus $120 for two one-way plane tickets. They sent a car to the airport, about an hour for the paperwork and then a seven hour break-in drive home with one of my sons for some real quality time!

So, although I got a great deal on exactly what I wanted, it was a hassle and I would have preferred to deal locally. Still, I would highly recommend expanding your search out of state if your local dealer can't find what you want or plays the exclusivity card. These circumstances did yield another unexpected benefit. Four months and almost 4k mi. later, I emailed the same dealer to inquire about trading for an '04 (really wanted LSD and DG/G), and to my surprise was able to negotiate a deal too good to pass up. This time I drove both ways solo and, after a pretty wild time at the hotel the night before, the delivery and drive home seemed to take forever. [drunk] [xx(]

Upstate NY

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dholly
after a pretty wild time at the hotel the night before
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[boink] or [cheers]?

[:D]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK - it's Friday morning and I still hadn't heard from the dealer. I called him. I told him that the service manager of a large dealership should maintain communications with their customers. Imagine - I had to tell the service manager what his job is! He said the car is in the body shop - it's been there for 2 weeks - and they can't get an exact time for the repairs to be completed. I told him I wanted the name of the body shop so I could call them. He then said that he would do the calling. I told him I expected to be called back within an hour. He has 35 minutes left. I'll keep you posted. If I get no satisfaction, I will post the name of the dealer and advise all future Infiniti customers to stay away!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm hoping this is the end of the b.s. Five hours after he promised he would call back, I still hadn't heard from the service manager. I called him and tried to be restrained. He said the car will be delivered from the body shop at 4:30 this PM. Then he said he had left a message on my answering machine. When I asked for the number that he was trying to get, it was totally incorrect. This is not a way to inspire confidence and I'm pretty sure this dealership has lost a valuable customer. I'll report on the status of the car in a future post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
<font face="Trebuchet MS"></font id="Trebuchet MS"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="black"></font id="black">

The reason for all of the windows being down is the key switch at the door lock. If it is held in the "open" position for 3-5 seconds it will roll down all of the windows. The same is true if the switch was held in the "closed" position, the windows will close.

Sounds like the car did its job.

If the ignition switch is turned on these cars 3 times or more without recognizing the chip in the key, the car will be disabled, even if you come back with the key with the chip. The car will then have to be towed to Infiniti or Nissan for them to reset it.

Keep this in mind if you give some one your wallet key to get into the car. If they try to start the car 3 times or more with the wallet key the car will be disabled the same way.

I would be worried about someone trashing the car trying to get something out of it or off it than taking it.

Bama G
2003 6MT Sedan |Desert Platinum/Black |Premium Pkg-Sport|XM Satellite

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Since the post has been revived, here's the end of the story. Car was made available to me the Friday of my last posting. Everything was fixed to my satisfaction with the exception of the interior trunk switch, which does not work. The dealer, Millenium Infiniti, gets one more shot at my business when I bring the car back to fix the trunk switch when the car is due for its one year service. Thanks for listening to all the nonsense.

[^]

·
Registered
42 Posts

No clue if/how/where something like this is legal or could be regulated, i.e. fed or state level. However, tasers ARE standard issue for many law enforcement agencies and hand held tasers are advertised and sold for personal defense, so maybe they are legal in certain states. Hey, if some low life trying to take my car is stupid enough to grab it, I say he's getting just what he deserves.

That's still not as nasty as the car mods in CapeTown, So. Africa to help reduce car jackings. If someone comes up to your car there, you can hit a button and have heavy metal bars scissor out to take his legs off just above the ankles. Or perhaps you prefer the button that unleashes a fireball the size of Texas to toast the poor bastard to death. That will catch your attention pretty quick!

Upstate NY
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is NOT Legal Advice, just an observation. It is typically illegal (in other words, a criminal offense) to set boobytraps that can harm people for attempted or actual theft of property. Tasers might be ok if used solely for personal defense or defense of another person. Even if, in some states it's not a criminal offense, I really wouldn't want to be sued in civil court by some dirtbag who was injured by my car taser. Like many have said, good insurance is the best way to go.

2004 G35 Sedan 6MT, NAV (Black/Graphite)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad to hear you got it back alive, hopefully the trunk will get fixed as well. And thanks for telling us the name of the dealership. I really think there should be a "dealership BEWARE" page on this site.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
wow im really happy that you got your car fixed, i dont know what i would do if someone did that to mine, I did order a viper 790 alarm directly from the company, Its a awesome alarm that will make your key fob aleart you when your car has been tampered with. Take care good luck, and KEEP us posted on this subject.

AIM: Jo3yf
'03.5 5AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver/Graphite | Premium | Winter | Heated Seats/mirrors
350z intake tube | Stillen CAB | Clear Corners | Drilled Pedals | Sick Audio Setup
View my car at http://www.cardomain.com/id/joebizz

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Something to consider for an anti-theft back-up system

The Pro-Street is a digitally controlled, capacitive discharge system. Features the "acceleration spark" which is produced when the Pro Street detects an accelerating engine condition and automatically increases spark output. Input and Output LEDs continually monitor the condition of the system. Recommended for all street high performance and off-highway motorsport.

The ignition system also has an optional kill switch and RPM limiter feature as well. What I like about the kill switch is it will let the motor start, however, within less than 30 seconds the vehicle will start idling rough as if it is running out of gas. If the switch is not reset the motor will completely stall out and not re-start for 20 minutes unless you know how to re-set the device. Not only do you get more horsepower with the extra spark you get a great anti-thief tool as well. Think if someone was trying to car jack you, just turn off the ignition and get out of the car. The thief is able to start and drive off, however, the car will not get further than one block and the engine will die. You’re out of harms way and he is probably blocking traffic.

Direct plug in harnesses available for easy installation.

I have this system on my Chevy truck not my "G", not sure if this system integrates with the "G" engine. Just need to discuss with the folks at Jacob's.

Check it out, great bolt on application for more HP & Security. Ask them to send you their brochure. "Good Luck"

http://www.jacobselectronics.com/products/energypaks/prostreet.htm

2004 G35 Coupe|5AT| Brilliant Silver|Graphite Leather|Premium|Perfomance|Aero|Pictures

·
Registered
121 Posts
To "alive at five"...you did not use the infiniti roadside assistance? or is AAA more responsive? My sales person commented that many people cancel their AAA memebership in favor of the infiniti roadside assistance...but I dont think I would do that.
I do not think Infiniti will pick up a wrecked or accident vehicle. I like the peace of mind of both...but probably would use Infiniti RA first to snag that automatic loaner car. Just curious as to your choice.
My dealer has promised a loaner for my entire ownership even after warranty...(we'll see of course) I understand most do not do that?

That sucks about your car...I would so lay in wait for that turd and dump a few rounds at their ass. From New Orleans and living in TX, it would just be the proper thing to do.[^]

Insurance is easily the best defence. That and a good kill switch or possibly an upgraded alarm with a pager device. My old accord paged me when anyone approached/messed with it. Figured alarm was no good if I did not know about it. I have had problems with cars in the suburbs with some small vandalism...but no one touched my car on the street uptown new orleans. Had it there for years. It was just too much trouble.
Somewhat considering a similiar alarm upgrade to my new g35...however I have noted the stock kill switch and key are pretty good. I still use my CLUB in dicey areas...just to be visible and make the lazy moron types think...some idiots are not aware of the key capapbilites and will just screw up the car in futility as with yours. Also had all windows and some parts etched with the VIN.
Most insurance companies will discount a bit for that.
Basically make your car VISIBLY such a pain in the ass to take, a pro will just move on. As for idle vandals...nothing to be done about that...unless you catch them at it.
Wheel locks are an inexpensive deterrent. Just keep the key nut in locked in the glove box. A compromise. You dont want to EVER chance being without that key nut when servicing or getting a flat.

2004 5AT G35 Sedan | "Pearlescent White" on Graphite | Premium | Sport
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist perversion and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-- Base Commander Ripper

·
Registered
121 Posts
On the 2004, the Wallet key does not start the car at all. It has no chip. Just a metal blank to open the door, preventing the embarassment of locking the keys in.
I thought 2003.5 was that way too?

That dealer was bogus, not notifying of the shop doing the work. By law you can specify the shop doing the work and the parts used (the latter not being an issue with the g35 as there are really no
third party OEM spec non acessory parts out there yet).

In the future you could explore nailing their ass for Deceptive Trade Practices. Most states have good clauses for that.

2004 5AT G35 Sedan | "Pearlescent White" on Graphite | Premium | Sport
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist perversion and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
-- Base Commander Ripper

21 - 40 of 45 Posts