Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock anti-theft system foiled an attempted robbery of my car yesterday. I went back to the car after it was parked for about an hour and found all the windows open. As soon as I opened the door, I saw all the stuff I had in my glovebox was on the floor. I attempted to insert the ignition key and the switch had been pulled out. Called triple A and had it towed to dealer. Damage: about one grand to replace switch and fix door which had been vandalized.

Question: What do you guys think of Lo-jack? Do we just leave our cars on city streets waiting to be sitting ducks?

BTW - I'm REALLY PISSED!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the dealer, when they went in through the door, they shorted a switch which lead to the windows opening. (My guess - some relay that allows all the windows to be opened with the remote.)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think Lo-Jack is a great idea, but I've heard that it only gets activated once you report the car stolen. What happens if there is a great time lag between the theft and your awareness of it?

I think Semi has it; perhaps he can comment further.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Were do you live. If you live close to the border of another country then Im not sure how usefull it is? For me i live about 30mins from Mexico so the whole Lo-Jack thing doesnt sound like the best idea. For me I will probably stick with an upgraded car alarm from Clifford.

2003 G35C / 6mt / DG & Willow Leather / Nav / Premium / Aero / ETA December

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I need an upgraded alarm. This one did its job just fine. I'm not near a border with another country and I know that Lo-Jack works perfectly well in the metropolitan NY area. What I want is to keep the low-life creeps away from my car the next time.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm guessing the short the dealer mentioned is actually a safety feature. If you burry the car in a lake and the window system shorts out, it probably tries to lower the windows to prevent you from being trapped in the car.

Lo-Jack came with the extended warranty for me. When you report the car stolen, the police work with Lo-Jack to identify the location of the car. If it's been days, the car will have undoubtedly been stripped and sold on eBay, but if you're within a few hours you may be able to get the car back.

I doubt I would have bought the system myself had it not come with the warranty personally, but you may get an insurance deduction that will offset the cost if you get it. Call your insurance company and find out.

Personally, I think it's best just to keep good insurance coverage and gap insurance. If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll get it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You dont need to buy any systems or upgrade alarm! Just dont park u car on the street, thats all. Those people are professionals on this kind of stuffs! ur just lucky that they didnt drive it away.
And im not so sure about the lake water thingy, because if ur car is down into water! im sure your window wont open! and ur probably too drunk to even press ur remote[:D]

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
It's bad when your private stuff gets violated. The good news though, it looks like the immobilizer key chip worked and disabled the ignition as designed. I hear it is REAL tough for car thieves to get around.

You could always add a little "juice" from http://www.espionage-store.com/auto.html, hehe.

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That auto taser looks like an interesting defense against idiot car thieves. Anyone know the legal ramifications of using one? (Ad says it's completely legal. Can you trust them?)

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I have lojack too -- mostly for peace of mind. With their basic product, you do in deed, need to report the car stolen before it gets activated. They do offer an upgraded system that can notify you via phone/email/pager. Here's a link to their early warning product

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by aliveatfive

That auto taser looks like an interesting defense against idiot car thieves. Anyone know the legal ramifications of using one? (Ad says it's completely legal. Can you trust them?)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It is very illegal. Incidentally, it's also easy enough to do on your own.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
No clue if/how/where something like this is legal or could be regulated, i.e. fed or state level. However, tasers ARE standard issue for many law enforcement agencies and hand held tasers are advertised and sold for personal defense, so maybe they are legal in certain states. Hey, if some low life trying to take my car is stupid enough to grab it, I say he's getting just what he deserves.

That's still not as nasty as the car mods in CapeTown, So. Africa to help reduce car jackings. If someone comes up to your car there, you can hit a button and have heavy metal bars scissor out to take his legs off just above the ankles. Or perhaps you prefer the button that unleashes a fireball the size of Texas to toast the poor bastard to death. That will catch your attention pretty quick!

2004 | 6MTs | Diamond Graphite/Graphite
Upstate NY

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
dholly, I actually saw that on TV not too long ago. A huge spring loaded bar lies in wait under your car. You hit a button and it mashes anyone standing near the driver's side window! That would never fly in this country.

My buddy actually had a competition car audio camaro that had a SICK alarm system. He had a taser hooked up to two rods that stuck out of the rear roof of the car (looked like two 6 inch antenna real close to one another). When the alarm triggered, the two rods would spark every second or so and make a nice arc across the two rods. It was sweet! He ate through a bunch of tasers, though!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what's the consensus on this one? Lo-Jack, taser, or let the insurance company take care of it and you're out the deductable?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BTW - local dealer has had the car since the attempted theft - that's 2 1/2 weeks ago. My phone calls do not get returned and I've been told "don't call us .........." This thing is snowballing all out of control.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts