Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum needed a topic bad...hehe so anyone done any performance mods yet to their G??? [:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm still waiting for Nismo. There are some decent add ons from Stillen, Injen and B&B available already. However, they're so new, there's little consesus on the results and all the comparisons sound like a joke to me. When someone says they swapped out their intake and though they haven't dyno'ed it yet they can feel "improved responsiveness in the throttle" I look at them the same way I look at the nutjobs that tell me they hear "improved clarity and signal response" from their $2000 speaker cables. While I'm sure these mods so far MAY be adding something to the performance of the car, the scientist in me wants proof.

I figure by the time the Nismo parts come out, more people will have dyno'ed their results and we'll have a better idea of which products are worth the money.

Additionally, dealer installed Nismo parts are covered under your warranty...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

I'm still waiting for Nismo. There are some decent add ons from Stillen, Injen and B&B available already. However, they're so new, there's little consesus on the results and all the comparisons sound like a joke to me. When someone says they swapped out their intake and though they haven't dyno'ed it yet they can feel "improved responsiveness in the throttle" I look at them the same way I look at the nutjobs that tell me they hear "improved clarity and signal response" from their $2000 speaker cables. While I'm sure these mods so far MAY be adding something to the performance of the car, the scientist in me wants proof.

I figure by the time the Nismo parts come out, more people will have dyno'ed their results and we'll have a better idea of which products are worth the money.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I couldn't agree more Semi. Also I didn't know if you get the dealer to install Nismo parts its covered under your Infiniti warranty? Thats sweet...

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
Some mods have a great placebo effect, but when put on a dyno they just aren't there. An exhaust is usually one of them, a good one should add a few ponies, but what it really adds is the sound. In that case that ain't bad. When you get folks saying that an intake will add 50 ponies I say prove it.

2003.5 Blue Sedan

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by GardinerAn exhaust is usually one of them, a good one should add a few ponies, but what it really adds is the sound.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sound can be very satisfying, specially from a screaming VVL V6 engine! But I know what you mean, power accompanying the sound would be even better...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan Ivory Pearl/Graphite Leather Sport/Premium/Aerokit

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've added the Stillen Exhaust on my G35 sedan. They claim the dyno adds 8 horsepower. I could feel no difference. I do like the sound improvement though.

Yesterday, I just received Stillen's new Cold Air Intake. I hope to get it installed today. Stillen says it adds 5 horsepower to the coupe and 11 to the sedan model. This info was given to me by phone with the Stillen folks. Their catalog shows an 8 horsepower gain.

I previously swapped out the stock air filter for the NISMO. No dyno testing but subjectively, unlike the muffler, I did feel a performance increase.
Ken

·
Registered
77 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey, SemiOn, you are right on the money! And that's what it takes to buy these perf mods. On that "other forum" for G35s, they seem to have a couple of posters posing as just "one of the boys." In reality, they seem to be hawking either e-tailers, or a particular brand, a famous name of which starts with "S" and has "ill" in it.

A recent hardcopy newsstand issue of perf mag, had the differences between mods on the dyno. Apparently, not only can perf mods not necessarily add anything, the differences can be in the dyno itself. Can't remember if it was Injen or AEM, but one of them insisted on getting a re-test in another mag re their intakes because the gains were so negligible. Turns out, Injen or whomever does their dyno test with hoods up, and the mag did it with hood down---and therefore higher underhood temps and air intake temps, thus lower horsepower.

Final note, I love sounds of intake and exhaust just like the next person, but let's be real: five horsepower is not gonna be felt. You may HEAR a difference but you won't FEEL a five horsepower increase. As an old 'Vette driver, many of us used to know that five to ten PERCENT was very difficult and almost impossible to feel even when it could be proved on the dyno.

Thanks for your analytical eye. Believe me, we all could use a dose of reality once in a while especially when it comes to hard earned dollars going out the door for this perf mod or that one. I see where NISMO may be coming out with a very expensive cat back for the coupe--I'm with you--I gotta see the numbers from someone before I plop down serious dollars.

Drive On![^]

BOND[:D]

·
Registered
7 Posts
"I see where NISMO may be coming out with a very expensive cat back for the coupe--I'm with you--I gotta see the numbers from someone before I plop down serious dollars."

Where do you see this?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I might be swapping my exhaust for that of the coupe. Will advise soon...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
74 Posts
Although I agree with the desire to see Dyno's when evaluating which components to add to the car, I think they can also increase the difficulty in making some decisions.

For example, Nismo comes out with a SC. If the SC is installed by a dealer, you maintain your manufaturer warranty. According to the Dynos though, the Stillen has the greater increase in HP. In this scenario, it would be hard for me to decide to go with the lower performing SC....and at that point all the dyno's I would have been doing are irrelevant.

Besides, I can use the $200+ dollars I save from all the dyno runs towards the purchase of my $2000 inter-connects. [phones]

Bottom line for me....I am not going to be comparing Dyno sheets with Joe Blow next to me on the road. Instead....let's race! [thmsup]

peace

Bond, although I could be very wrong (please let me know), I doubt it was an Injen CAI in that mag you read. Only because the Injen CAI moves the intake completely out of the engine compartment, so I don't see how the hood would come into play.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bond, although I could be very wrong (please let me know), I doubt it was an Injen CAI in that mag you read. Only because the Injen CAI moves the intake completely out of the engine compartment, so I don't see how the hood would come into play.

[/quote]

You may be right; it may not have been Injen. I wouldn't want to impugn their reputation. But the point is, it not only depends on what dyno you measure your engine, it depends on "how" it's done, as in the hood open/hood closed scenario. Thanks for the info on Injen, tho!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You guys hit the nail on the head. Although it may be easy for other car owners to use the plug and play approach with their automobiles I'm of the oppinion that if I'm going to pay good money, and lets face it no aftermarket parts for the G are going to be cheap (example: Aftermarket intake for my 93 Ford Probe GT ~ 120, After market intake for the G ~ 300, Aftermarket Borla for the Probe ~ 375, Aftermarket Borla for the G ~ much more than 375), I need proof it does what it claims. It's the price we pay for buying a 30,000 dollar car. With my Probe I always knew that I only paid 5300 for the car so what the hell, with the G I need to know that I'm not going to kill the car (NOS, turbo) before I mod it. My probe had aftermarket turbo, clutch, springs, the works but I didn't have a warranty to worry about and I didn't have 600 dollar car payments to worry about either. Bottom line, if I'm paying 300 dollars for an intake, or 1000 for an exhaust I better damn well see some dyno plots ensuring me I'm not wasting my money on my ears alone. And if I'm getting any significant engine mods I'm going to get it in writing that the warranty is still good.

Oh and by the way, I never dyno'd the Probe but the G feels faster stock than the Probe's T3/04 turbo'd 6 cyl running 10psi. Man, I can't wait for the warranty to run out.

-Joel

-6MT Sedan, Aero, Black on Black

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh and one more thing. The Mazda KL03 that was in my Ford Probe easily handled the extra ~100 hp I added with the turbo kit. I ran that car with 6-10 psi (boost controller) from 85,000 miles (when I got the car) to 145,000 miles (when I sold it) and I never had a problem. I'm hoping that the VQ is stout enough to handle a similar amount of add-on HP. Just as long as someone else tests it out on their car first.

If you wish to check out the Probe go here:
http://www24.brinkster.com/probeturbo/

-Joel

-6MT Sedan, Aero, Black on Black

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Riv, nice job turboing the kl03, a friend of mine has a KLZE with headers, intake, exhaust, no cats, pulleys, etc etc etc and it is a pretty quick spirited car.... nice to see that you have stepped into something nicer...

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
9 Posts
ZEX wet nitrous kit, 100 shot
ZEX remote bottle opener
ZEX bottle heater
Denso iridium spark plugs, 1 step cold
SPX-Kentmore fuel pressure adapter
Amsoil air filter
JIC-Magic traction rods
Rear camber adjusted to -.50 (from -2.33)
Rear sway bars removed
Bridgestone Expedia S-01 rear tires (265/40/18)
DIY - painted engine cover and brake booster cover

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
juicedcoupe, do you like the nitrous kit? can you give us some feedback on how complicated the install was and everything like that? also, how do you like those JIC-magic traction bars? where did you pick those up at?

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Overall, I'm pleased with the kit. The install wasn't too complicated with the exception of deciding the best place to tap for the fuel; I wanted an installation that could be easily removed without any trace of it being there...that's where the fuel pressure adapter from SPX-Kentmore came in. It installs in-line on the fuel rail just after the fuel damper (remove 2 bolts and the damper; insert adapter; re-install damper and 2 new bolts).

The traction rods are just okay...neither them, the correct camber, removal of the sway bars, nor the new tires truly make up for the poor off-the-line traction this car has. There was a noticeable improvement with each of the traction enhancements, but nothing spectacular. As a reference, the best way I can continually judge the improvements is on the 1-2 shift...straight motor the car can barely spin the tires now during the shift, whereas with the factory parts and settings it would rip them long and hard. I purchased the traction rods from avalon racing.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
good info. [thmsup]

what kind of times did you run at the track?

also, did you do the nitrous install yourself, or did you have a shop install it. I am trying to figure out what the total cost of the same system is going to run me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do not have any track times yet. I'm probably looking at August before I get there.

I did the install myself, so I don't know how much a shop would charge; it's not too difficult of a job, though...and I believe you would actually be better off doing it yourself; I've heard many horror stories where things went very wrong after a shop install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
rlipps,

12.85 @ 108.5 at the East Coast Nationals, running 140 whp shot.

ZEX wet kit jetted for 150+ whp
ZEX remote and heater
350Z intake, Amsoil filter
Denso Iridium 2 steps
Grounding kit
JIC-Magic traction rods
BFG Drag Radials
12.85 @108.5 jetted at 140 whp

1 - 20 of 26 Posts