Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being nearly charged $675 by my local dealer to install XM after delivery, I scouted around for a system. Apparently InfinitiPartsUSA has the receiver and antenna at a fairly decent price. Has anyone installed a similar system themselves? Any difficulty or tips? Antenna placement and procedure? Appreciate any comments please.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Semi On did it and said it was fairly easy. If you do a search on XM Satellite you should be able to find his write up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have installed the XM receiver and the wiring harness that my sedan did not have.

G35s built before March 2003 will not have the satellite harness. I got my harness from Grubbs Infinity along with the transmitter.

The instructions are very complete.

I am a former Mercedes-Benz tech, for me the installation was simple.

Check under the rear seat bottom on the right side (passenger side) for a blue plug. If it is there and the harness comes up from the right rocker, you have the harness.

If not you will have to run the cable from the back of the radio, under the passenger carpet and down the rocker and into the trunk. Sounds involved but not really.

The only interior panels you need to remove is the glove box, lower IP on the driver's side. Pull up the shifter trim by pulling up at the rim under the boot at the rear most part of the trim. It will snam straight up and pull back toward the e- brake. Get a towel and wrap this trim up and make sure it doesn't rub against the radio trim panel and the lower part of the shifter area. No need to remove the shifter.

There will be 2 screws just onder the radio trim panel that you can see once the shifter trim is out of the way.

Pull the clock/HVAC assembly out of the upper IP, there is one screw under it that will hold the radio unit in place. Its firm just pull it straight back toward you, (toward the rear of the car). The radio and the trim piece will pull straight back as well.

There are spring clips at the vents and the center trim piece. a thin flat piece of plastic, Like a plastic dealer licence plate, can be slit into this area to release the clips without tearing up the IP.

The harness is plug and play. Run the harness out the right side behind the radio and under the carpet on the passenger side.

You only need to remove the inner sill plates in the front and rear passenger doors, 2 pins hold in the rear seat bottom.

The harness then runs up the rear seat back between the c-pillar trim and the side of the seatback. At the upper corner, there is a fist size channel with foam in it slide the harness past the foam or remove the foam temporarily.

Remove the rear most trunk lining and pull the harness through. On sedans the xm receiver mounts in the lower right corner if looking in the trunk against the back wall. On coupes it mounts just inside the trunk near the left taillight. The rest is normal satellite installation.

The antenna wires will run along the harness at the base of the rear window, inside the car. a small notch must be taken out of the trunk lip under the seal. This will facilitate the installation of a special grommet that comes with the antenna kit.

The antenna wires run between the rear glass at the c-pillar on the outside of the car. Tuck the antenna wires underneath the window seal. The Antenna kit comes with a template to mount it to the roof. The tail of the antenna has a 90 degree bend at the end that hangs just off the roof to cover the antenna cables. Make sure you have the trim piece that runs across the top of the rear window. It has a notch in the center that accepts the tail of the antenna.

I recommend installing this trim piece after letting the trim warm up in the sun and install it once side at a time. The trim should come all the way over to the c- pillars.

secure all of your wiring per the directions in your kit, reinstall your radio and the trim.

I have XM, just called them gave them the radio ID that comes with the transmitter or can be read on channel "00". Turn the ignition key to accessory so you don't kill the battery and leave the radio on satellite for one hour. Once the satellite finds your car, it will update, then you will be able to get all 100 channels. Grubbs has a promotional code that may still be available, that will give you three months free XM. I believe Sirius works the same way.

Hope this helps describe why it takes 4 hours with the running of the harness on the early and some late 03s

Bama G
2003 Desert Platinum/Black Leather 6MT Sedan, Satellite, premium, sport suspension, factory rear spoiler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts