Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my 3rd G35/37S, and the latest one (2013 G37S 6MT) has been burning oil. At ~4K from new the oil pan was dry, and after about 14K of 'testing' and 'experiments' on their part they replaced the engine. I'm now at about 22K and the new engine has gone through almost a quart - they've asked me to bring it in again...

My question is, has anyone been able to successfully resolve this issue? I'm not as interested in 'replace the oil every 3000 miles' answers, as Infiniti have acknowledged that this level of consumption is a problem.

Cheers,

Ron.

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
I wasn't aware that the HR motors had the same oil burning tendencies as the VQ revup motors. I hope they replace it for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wasn't aware that the HR motors had the same oil burning tendencies as the VQ revup motors. I hope they replace it for you.
That may be what ends up happening - but my concern is that it will simply happen again with a replacement engine. It's been quite the ride with this one - I've had 13 service visits with this car since last March - mostly related to this, but also covering a broken seat and clutch pedal, and the damage when they crashed it in their lot... :frown:

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Seems the lemon laws in your stat may apply to your car soon if they can't fix it this time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trouble is if it's a lemon I get a replacement - which will likely have the same problems. As long as they keep dropping off a loaner to my office and taking mine away for further experimentation it's no great inconvenience. Also, since it's a lease I'm less concerned.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Yeah, this is news. They did right by standing up for the previous issues on the older ones. I hope that is a sign of things to come in your case.

As to your 13 visits, I'd keep track of any visits related to the engine and O/C issue. If you had/have quite a few returns for that, get talking to the right people in the hierarchy. It may qualify for special attn or a Lemon.

Push them hard on this ! !

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
How did you break in the engine of your current car with the manual transmission and where were you driving it mostly ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine break in period

How did you break in the engine of your current car with the manual transmission and where were you driving it mostly ?
OK, first part of the answer is that I kept it under 3000rpm for the first few thousand miles (engine #1 ). For the second engine, I was advised to 'drive it gently' for the first 1000 miles - again, I kept it under 3000rpm.

I have a 30 mile commute - 20 miles mountain roads and 10 miles surface streets each way.

Infiniti had another look at the car over the weekend, and they're doing another oil consumption test. I'll get it back today and they'll take it in again after 1000 miles or so. I'll keep you updated on progress.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
California lemon law

Yeah, this is news. They did right by standing up for the previous issues on the older ones. I hope that is a sign of things to come in your case.

As to your 13 visits, I'd keep track of any visits related to the engine and O/C issue. If you had/have quite a few returns for that, get talking to the right people in the hierarchy. It may qualify for special attn or a Lemon.

Push them hard on this ! !
Believe me, I've researched the lemon laws here :smile2:. The rule here is that if an issue isn't resolved after four attempts your car may qualify as a lemon. They then do a calculation based on mileage to see if you owe anything if they take it back. As I noted before, my concern is that the 6MT-specific things I've had fixed (seat, clutch pedal, engine) may well break again with a replacement 6MT. If it wasn't a lease it would be a different story, but I've only got about 7 months left on this one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got an 11 G37S manual sedan and have had zero problems with it. Kept it under 4 to 4.5K rpms for breakin without issue. No oil use or otherwise. I'm using Mobile 1. You've definitely got an anomaly with yours.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Believe me, I've researched the lemon laws here :smile2:. The rule here is that if an issue isn't resolved after four attempts your car may qualify as a lemon. They then do a calculation based on mileage to see if you owe anything if they take it back. As I noted before, my concern is that the 6MT-specific things I've had fixed (seat, clutch pedal, engine) may well break again with a replacement 6MT. If it wasn't a lease it would be a different story, but I've only got about 7 months left on this one.
Glad to hear it's a lease. That's a nice out for you in due time unless it proves to be sooner than 7 months.

It brings to mind the question of what if ? on a car one leases that proves to be so much trouble or a 'lemon' that you can't depend on it. I wonder if any lease does or ever covers that potential issue ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got an 11 G37S manual sedan and have had zero problems with it. Kept it under 4 to 4.5K rpms for breakin without issue. No oil use or otherwise. I'm using Mobile 1. You've definitely got an anomaly with yours.
Indeed - looks like I'm the problem rather than the car :frown:

However, if it turns out that my replacement engine has the same problem, that looks like a trend to me rather than an anomaly. I'll see how much I have left after the current oil consumption test is done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - oil consumption test on new engine came back OK after about 1200 miles. However, they've sealed it up again and they want to take another look in about 1000-1200 miles or so.

Bad oil?

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Update - oil consumption test on new engine came back OK after about 1200 miles. However, they've sealed it up again and they want to take another look in about 1000-1200 miles or so.

Bad oil?
Are you saying they did not show you a report on how much oil was burned or the level down.... ie; What's "okay after 1200 miles" mean ?
They have specific parameters for how much is acceptable so I'm guessing they either tell you what that is or you can ask. It would be perfectly normal to get/request a copy of anything they do for your own records too. It probably details the date, miles and oil levels for the test.

I'm not convinced they got a good reading that means it's okay or they would not be doing another test. These kind of things don't go into remission.

Next time you are in for the check up, ask ahead of time they bring you back to show you the procedure and what they find. If you are curious about it, I'm sure they will walk you through it.
With newer oil that is still clear, the stick can be tough to read. I routinely check mine 3 to 5 times to get some samples and draw a conclusion. Maybe they couldn't get a genuine consensus and didn't really want to try explaining that.

At least they are not shutting you out and willing to keep up the test. :smile2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New update - oil consumption test

Update from the latest oil consumption test. The local dealership picked it up today to check the oil level again (it's about 1800 miles since the last check). Word is that 'it's low' (no details provided) - low enough for them to check with Infiniti HQ to figure out what to do next.

Engine #3 here I come?

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Update from the latest oil consumption test. The local dealership picked it up today to check the oil level again (it's about 1800 miles since the last check). Word is that 'it's low' (no details provided) - low enough for them to check with Infiniti HQ to figure out what to do next.

Engine #3 here I come?
I guess you have every right to be hopeful, but certainly no ammunition.

The dealer holds the cards and they either don't know how measure oil loss and can't tell you the amount or they simply refuse to give you the information.
In either case, I think you'll either get very lucky for a fair resolution if it indeed justifies a new motor or you'll be left wondering if or how bad you got screwed.
It would concern me they are not sharing the paperwork/report or findings to at least let you see what they have done and what they found.
This would be what is turned over to or communicated to Infiniti regarding 'normal' or 'excessive.'
I'm assuming you've been assertive in trying to attain all related information. The health of your car doesn't fit the healthcare confidentiality laws in any way. "Low oil at 1800 miles" should concern anybody. Jump all over that if you need to make your case.

As Gilley stated, the HR motor isn't known for this issue but if it applies, you may be one the few at this early stage that leads the charge for Infiniti to find this problem or try to hide it. Don't make it easy for them to drop the ball. ** Something is fishy with the way the (servicing dealer) is treating you and handling this IMO.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This might seem like a pretty low level question...but what grade/brand fuel do you use and what weight/brand/type of oil do you use. Are you running conventional or synthetic?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This might seem like a pretty low level question...but what grade/brand fuel do you use and what weight/brand/type of oil do you use. Are you running conventional or synthetic?
91 octane fuel (Chevron when I can get it, but it varies), and whatever brand of oil Infiniti uses when they fill it up.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I hope they come through for you if it is needed. The only thing a motor will do is eventually start using oil. It's not the best situation to start off new in that condition though.

Maybe they'll offer to top it off once a month and give you a free car wash though ...

Best of luck. Post details or updates as available. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts