Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My G35 is almost completely senile. I've been patching him up for years but he's gone madd. Alzheimer's, Dementia, Tourette's syndrome, he's got them all now. Believe me..

I've kept him for 13 years because the G37/Q60 never seemed to have that 8V torque when you stomp on it at launch time. Over the years I test drove both the G37 (new and used) and the Q60 at the dealer. Every time I walked away disappointed. Are there any mods to make the G37 have the same V8 torque pull you back in your seat feeling during the 0-35mph launch like the G35 does so well ?

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
I felt the same as you do about the G37. The styling didn't grab me like the G35 did and nothing happened with the G37 coupe until this year. It's not for everyone but I drove a 2016 Camaro SS and bought it. It's got so much more than the G had or could have, even after I added a Vortech supercharger to the G. V8 torque is so satisfying.

Aside from that, I think the only mod that's going to give you something like a V8 feel with a G37 is going to be twin turbo. And that is costly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Gilley,

I wish there was more hope because the G35 did so many things well.

I'm not a fan of the G37 looks but I like the way the G35 drives and
if I could get "the pull" with the G37 for $2,000 extra in mods I would
look past the G37's somewhat homely appearance. Turbos sound
like over $10,000 and I bet will lend themselves to heavy repair costs.

I thought about buying another 2003 or 2004 G35 with low mileage
but they are getting $12,000 for one with 40,000 miles and then
I'd still be susceptible to all the high-cost quirky wear-out items like
the control arms, shocks, crank sensor, door locks failing, radio dying,
etc. As much as I like the car, I don't want to deal with all the wear-out
items again. I've poured money in the car every year. One year the
spindle developed a stress crack. $2000 right there. Right now the
radio/cd is dead. I sent it to CA for a $200 repair job.. Next month
it will be something else.

I was thinking the G37 might be redesigned to not have so many wear-out items.

I like the looks of the Camaro SS a lot but I can't get over not seeing enough
out of any of the windows.. You are blind in the rear and front/side viewing
is far less than the G35. I gotta see out of the car..

A 3 year old Mercedes SLK250 looks too small and a 3 year old SL500
guzzles gas at 14MPG and also has a bad maintenance record.

Vetts feel too big and aren't nimble like the G35. Porches are ugly.
I'm too poor for a Mclaren 570. Even used NSX's from 2000 are fetching
$80,000 and will have might maintenance costs from parts degrading from age.

Every year since 2010 I have been looking for a replacement with no luck.

PS: I *still* miss your Dirty Girls avatar..

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
I share your sentiments about all those vehicles and you have valid points.

I do know a guy who replaced the 3.5 liter v6 with a Chevy v8 but it's not a perfect swap and I don't know how much it costs.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I think I'm just not knowing what I'm missing and that's a good thing.

The G35 has always been (to me) about aesthetics. It looks good inside and out, the design has a natural flow and beauty to it and YES, it does look like a fast, racer car so I guess in that respect, it can be considered a let-down.
But not the let down I'd expect to feel if I craved fast cars, ever owned one or even wanted one. I'm happy being happy with it as it is.

Gilley's end story here is really the perfect answer IMO. If you want a quick car and don't relish 'projects' and builds or unknowing, seemingly endless budgets to see if the car will get faster and do so without huge investors and work right as a daily driver when it's done, the simple answer is go buy a car that is engineered from the ground up to do everything you ask of it. All the parts and components work in harmony and at threshold levels and, under warranty.
It's truly the forest in front of the trees.

If that is a buzz-kill or cop out to tuners and builders, then I suspect they love the challenge of the bits and pieces that create a fast car over time and sweat, trial and error and possibly the same $35,000 or $40,000 investment.

In defense of the G, I do understand the want for the speed and performance step-up and Gilley would be one thrilled driver had it been everything the Camaro does under the skin of the red coupe he had.
I guess in the Nissan world, that's what the GT-R is there for but a premium cost that undermines value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts