Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opins on the Clear Bra?? I'm sure it looks great when you first get it, but what about a few months in after the sun has had a chance to roast it for awhile?? Yellowing/bubbling?

'03 G35 6MT Diamond Graph/Graph/Aero/Prem

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think you would have to worry about it if the person installing it know what they are doing.
You might notice that the coupes have the same material on the rear sides (before the rear wheels). That's how it will look like. And if the kit you are buying doesn't have the edges covered (rounds under) you will have a lot of lines that you can see. This is the reason I never got one. I have heard on a company that covers the edges too but I think they are in Georgia and the kit is very expensive.

If you worried about your car's looks (even a roof rack, hehe) then consider the options.
Clear Bra = lines and maybe color differences in paint (product not out long enough to have long term test, even if they say it wouldn't)
No Bra = chips.

G35 Coupe
6MT DG/W prem, aero, navless

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi:

"Clear Bra" has been installed on my car. Got it put on before any nicks or dings. Looks good, much better than a 'black bra' which amazingly only comes in that color after all of these years. You'd think they would offer a white or silver color by now.

3M makes the product and claims that it won't discolor. They are not a fly by night company, so it's probably a trustworthy representation. The clear bra broschure states : "Our product is warranted for 4 years, though the material has an averabe life span of about 7 years. Except for rock chips, the same factors that affect the life of your cars paint affect our product. Whether or not the car is garaged and whether or not it is kept washed and waxed will make a big difference."

Their broschure also mentions that on a "stark white" car the application is more noticable, "... but it is still 'invisible' at a short distance." On my DP coupe, it is only noticable when up close.

Here are two links to check out on the subject. One thing to be aware of is that they use different thickness of material on different parts of the car.

http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-168/clelFFC/view.jhtml

Go here to download PDF file on it from 3M. http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-168/czuzlFH/view.jhtml

http://www.mishield.com/

6MT DP

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I had it installed as well. You can see it but the installer told me that actually leaving it in the sun at high temps makes it less visible. All the air bubbles evaporate out of it. It defintely protects against dings. I had one across the hood Sat. I could find the mark on the clear bra but it did not go through to the paint.

I only did the hood and the tops of the fenders. That cost me $375. I searched the web for 3M Clear Bra and found installers through that website. THe lower portion cost a little more than the hood and fenders but has 5 more pieces. In my past experience with newly painted 2000+ cars is the paint seems to adhere better to the composite under panels than to painted metal.

A paint pro told me that the EPA had really tightened up on the primer process and that causes the paint to not adhere as well. Since these cars are painted in Japan, I'm not sure how much theat holds true. My last car, an Acura 2001 CL-S, had horrible paint. It was made in Marysville OH so I am sure that was the case with it. I actually was somewhat lucky that the car was involved in an accident on June 10, 2003 right before I turned it in. I had it repaired and they painted the entire hood.

03 Laser Red 6MT | Willow int | No fancy stuff | 30% Tint and 3M Clear Bra

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey GTO,

How about some close up pics of the 3M pieces when you get a chance?

I agree with your theory-- most chips happen to paint on metal, not the paint on the nose.

When I get my G, I'll prolly do the same as you.

BTW, where did you get yours done? Would you recommend them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine done 2 days after I bought the G35c. It was the best thing I could have done. About 4 hours after the install, my wife and I were driving back from Galveston(trying to get those 1200 miles) when the minivan next to us had a blow-out on the passenger front tire. I was coming up on the minivan(in the left lane) and an SUV(in the right lane) quickly. I had to brake fairly hard to avoid running into the hubcap that came off and rolled into my lane as if it were a movie. His rim was cutting into the road and splattering us with concrete debris. I slowed down enough to tuck in behind the SUV, but I felt horrible since this way Day #3 with the G. The minivan coasted to safe stop and I continued on.

Once I got home, I gave a quick inspection of the front end and noticed that the clear bra had taken all of the rocks w/ no noticeable blemishes. It did it's job and made it all worth the purchase on its first day.

Here is a pic of the coverage that the XPEL kit provides.
http://www.xpel.com/products/default.asp

P1514
Hood, Fender and Mirror kit

P1514B
Bumper kit

Their site lists factory trained installers that will take care of all warranty claims, if needed.

I hope this helps some of you out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lucky U!![angel]

What did the bra job run you??

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I didn't do a clear bra since I wasn't wild about how it looked, but now in retrospect, I wish I had. Too many little dings on the bumper. After only 3 months! I'm afraid it might be too late to do it though. Would probably look worse with the dings already under the clear bra. [V]

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi:

It is probably never to late to start protecting the car. You could do your own touch up or have it done by a professional.

It seems that the 3M "clear bra is marketed under a wide variety of names. "Stone Guard" is a new one to me. Getting a wide selection of precut pieces without paying for a "custom" cut has been elusive. I think this site mite work for those wishing to do the odd little areas of the car that pro's will charge an arm and leg for.

http://www.stoneguard.com/sgcontent/sgdetails.asp?id=2523

6MT DP

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had my 6M/T coupe since February, and maybe I've been lucky, but no visible chips. I went to a "meet" a couple of weeks ago and saw a bunch of cars with the clear bra. Honestly.... once I saw the line across the hood- though it was subtle, it became all I could see after a while. And you could definitely see a difference in the shine on the covered areas. I'm sure it serves a worthwhile purpose- and it doesn't compromise the look that badly- but I'm going to take my chances without it.

Skip Barber Graduate

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Yes... I suppose seeing the installation in person would steer me one way or the other, but since I haven't seen one up close yet, I'm still inclined to not do it for now. I'm not wild about the dings, but think I can live with them. for now, at least!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My big worry with the clear bra is long-term...

1)If it starts looking like crap, say a year or 2 or 3 down the road, how would you get it off without completely screwing up your paint??

2)Let's say you DID get it off safely, wouldn't the protected vs. unprotected areas be different shades and be VERY NOTICEABLE??

3)Wouldn't you be in trouble with even one bubble??[dunno]

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the clear bra put on by the dealer and I wish I hadn't. The only time it isn't very obvious is when the car is freshly washed and you look at it from the front. Of course I do have black so it is worse, but I would stear clear of the clear if I were to do it again.

- Desparetly seeking a nice wood dash kit for my black 6MT.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by 1CRAZMOFO

My big worry with the clear bra is long-term...

1)If it starts looking like crap, say a year or 2 or 3 down the road, how would you get it off without completely screwing up your paint??

2)Let's say you DID get it off safely, wouldn't the protected vs. unprotected areas be different shades and be VERY NOTICEABLE??

3)Wouldn't you be in trouble with even one bubble??[dunno]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It can be taken off by heating to 150 degrees with a heaat gun and pulled off. It's guaranteed not to yellow for 5 years. Here in NJ, the roads are littered with debris and trucks can carry loads uncovered. Rock chips to windshields and fronts of cars are an everyday occurence. Still must be better than the Acura I turned in with 10,000 dings in the hood. Luckily, I had an accident (can't believe I would say that) and the hood was repainted. Ideally, I wouldn't have it if I lived elswhere but here? Oh yeah.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Tom2

Hey GTO,

How about some close up pics of the 3M pieces when you get a chance?

I agree with your theory-- most chips happen to paint on metal, not the paint on the nose.

When I get my G, I'll prolly do the same as you.

BTW, where did you get yours done? Would you recommend them?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Got it done by AB Enterprises in Denville. He came to my house. Alan is guys name. I found him through 3M's website. Here's a full size pic. Sometimes Image Station doesn't like you doing this. If it comes up as an error, visit my image station under GTO2050 and look under wheels 2.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

I had to downsize them, Sony's server is too freakin slow![:(!]

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Hey GTO2050, nice pics!

You can hardly tell it's there from the photos. How accurate would you say that is to "real life"? Not sure I'd want the hood kit, but I keep considering the bumper kit every now and then.

By the way, is that your Charger Hemi? Awesome man! [thumbup]

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

Hey GTO2050, nice pics!

You can hardly tell it's there from the photos. How accurate would you say that is to "real life"? Not sure I'd want the hood kit, but I keep considering the bumper kit every now and then.

By the way, is that your Charger Hemi? Awesome man! [thumbup]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Up close you can see it but from 5' away. I wish I had a Charger! I have a 1968 Pontiac LeMans Convertible that is mistaken for a TO all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK so I'm a little late here, but I just got my G 3 weeks ago. I had a St Louis (Manchester) company apply. They did; hood, bumper, fender portions that face forward, and a small strip on the side mirrors. They did a superb job for $400. FYI

03 coupe/graphite/graphite/6MT/nav/prem/aero/FUN

·
Registered
316 Posts
I posted a number of pics from various distances of my G with the clear bra. Do a search and you should find it easily.

Black 2003.5 6MT - Willow - Nav - Premium - Performance - Tint - Nose mask

1 - 20 of 20 Posts