Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, for one, am not enamored with the Bose set-up. I am not going to attempt to get into a debate about Bose. If you like the sound that's great. I will only say that you know what you know. You just don't know what you have been missing until you have been exposed to something better. Sounds esoteric but it is true.

So, what can one do to improve the sound quality? Two shops have informed me that I need to pull the headunit from the dash. Isn't there another way? My last car was a '92 Legend with stock Alpine equipment. I replaced only the speakers and the sound was greatly improved. So, what can I do? I do not want to spend over 2K. Ideally, the headunit stays and everything else goes.

Kalel

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Don't do business with them. They clearly don't know what they're talking about. There's a little converter that can be had for as low as $20 that converts the goofy output signal for the Bose amp to a line level RCA.

You will of course need to replace both the amp and the speakers as its all fairly non standard stuff.

I would recommend considering the following for speakers:

Dynaudio
MB Quart
Focal
Rainbow
Boston Accoustic

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling

·
Registered
61 Posts
Semi where can I find this little convertor that you speak of?<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On

Don't do business with them. They clearly don't know what they're talking about. There's a little converter that can be had for as low as $20 that converts the goofy output signal for the Bose amp to a line level RCA.

You will of course need to replace both the amp and the speakers as its all fairly non standard stuff.

I would recommend considering the following for speakers:

Dynaudio
MB Quart
Focal
Rainbow
Boston Accoustic

this in deference to everyone who insists on putting a load of crap at the end of everything they say' - Dr Tom Dowling
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Semi,

Have you done this yourself? What about Diamond speakers? I have heard great things about them from a buddy of mine that has them in his Audi. Do you have any preferences for amps? Wow, not replacing the head unit will save beaucoup francs. Thank you for the info.

Kalel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my PW sedan (What a car!) and I've given the stereo system a good listen and would like to change the speakers and add a sub. Where is the amp located to add the converter for some line level outs? I didn't go for the premium system beecause I have most of the speakers from my Saab. I'm going to add a pair of MB Quarts seperates up front with some Boston Acoustics in the back and on the shelf with a JL Audio 10 sub in the trunk. My amps of choice will be a Kenwood 4 channel for mids and highs and a JL 250 mono block for the sub. I have to locate a reputable dealer here in S. Florida (Not Sound Advice, After an install on my Saab I had nothing but problems) or do it myself. I know I can handle the job, but time is my enemy. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Semi where can I find this little convertor that you speak of?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The installer up the street from me had it. Call Soundwerks in Scottsdale for details I don't know the name off the top of my head.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Have you done this yourself?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not yet. I haven't decided whether or not I want to sink serious cash into a depreciating product without increasing the car's value.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">What about Diamond speakers? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've heard good things about them. I haven't really paid much attention to them though.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do you have any preferences for amps?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

IF I do it, I'll probably use JL.

Good luck all!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ohiostater86

Just got my PW sedan (What a car!) and I've given the stereo system a good listen and would like to change the speakers and add a sub. Where is the amp located to add the converter for some line level outs? I didn't go for the premium system beecause I have most of the speakers from my Saab. I'm going to add a pair of MB Quarts seperates up front with some Boston Acoustics in the back and on the shelf with a JL Audio 10 sub in the trunk. My amps of choice will be a Kenwood 4 channel for mids and highs and a JL 250 mono block for the sub. I have to locate a reputable dealer here in S. Florida (Not Sound Advice, After an install on my Saab I had nothing but problems) or do it myself. I know I can handle the job, but time is my enemy. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nice purchase Ohio! Welcome to the few and growing proud IP G35 owners in this forum! What trim did you get the car in? Like you, I will go JL if I finally decide to upgrade my sound, but like Semi said, I have not come to the conclusion that it's worth it yet, versus a performance upgrade such as wheels, suspension, and or other cosmetics...

XL

2003.5 5AT Sedan | Ivory Pearl | Graphite Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit W/Rear Spoiler

·
Registered
14 Posts
go to www.installer.com, and go to the wiring harnesses section. They have a bunch of different converters and should have one that will work with this vehicle.

I too am going to be replacing at least the speakers in this system once I get the car. Not sure yet whether or not the bose head unit will stay though....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I too am going to be replacing at least the speakers in this system once I get the car. Not sure yet whether or not the bose head unit will stay though....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You'll have to replace the amp too. I doubt you'll find a non-Bose .75 Ohm speaker anywhere. Thankfully, the amp is seperate from the head unit which is actually manufactured by Clarion and is of very high quality with regard to SQ I would assume. Clarion makes great gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts