Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I brought my car to Crescent City Infiniti (New Orleans) today and they asked me what the problem with my transmission seemed to be. I explained about the grinding and how the car seems to hold RPMs. They called an hour later stating that they had talked to Infiniti (the big guys) and they had said that they have had multiple claims of this issue and shipped a new tranny today for arrival tomorrow. This tells me that Infiniti must realize the problem and is very willing to fix it with a NO QUESTIONS ASKED attitude.

On a side note, if you live anywhere within a 3 hour drive of Crescent City Infiniti, go there if you plan on buying an Infiniti.
They truly have top notch service and a top notch staff.
I must truly tip my hat to them as they have provided excellent customer service thus far. I am also getting my first scheduled oil change and having the drilled aluminum pedal set installed while my car is in the shop seeing as I have now reached 3800 miles.

I will be sure to get back to yall on how the new tranny performs, I am also going to find out if it is a different tranny design or just the same tranny as before... Hopefully things wont start smelling LEMONy for the 6MT Coupe!![werd]

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Black Leather | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

·
Registered
94 Posts
describe the problem for me as i have been having porblems with mine. grinding going in to 2nd and 3rd and also whining in 2nd. thanx.....

Doc

DG/6MT/Prem/Nav/Attitude

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was having grinding when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and then also from 3rd to 4th. at first I thought it was because the engine keeps RPMs even after I let off of the gas. But the fact that Infiniti was so quick to replace my transmission, leads me to believe that their truly is something wrong with the transmission and they are trying to avoid a recall [bigeyes]

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I really hope this isn't the case! I came from a CL-S and know transmission problems all to well!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from what I understand, if you have a 6MT you might as well just bring it in and ask for the new transmission that they have out, because if you dont have problems now, you will... seems that Nissan/Infiniti decided to make really really cheap synchros... go figure...

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Graphite | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |

"In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve -- it's what you take."

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ

I really hope this isn't the case! I came from a CL-S and know transmission problems all to well!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Who you wuz over there? Dat's where I comes from.

·
Registered
328 Posts
does this also apply to the sedan 6mt? I'f i go in and tell them i need a new tranny they will just change it for me no questions asked???

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure for the sedan, seeing as it just came out, although it may be the case.
However, I am almost posotive that if you go in with your 6MT Coupe and mention the grinding problem then your transmission will be replace with no questions asked. At least that is the impression I received from my dealership...

So all of you 6MT Coupe owners might wanna pick up the phone and get your local dealer to call Infiniti Technical and see if they recommend that they transmission be replaced.

Remember, there are only 832 of us with the 6 speed, and from what I have gathered a considerable portion have had the transmission replaced already.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Can I just add something here . Lets not panic the 6mt drivers out there and have everyone rush to their infiniti dealers for a fresh transmission.
Changing a transmission on a car is a huge undertaking. That's something I really would not do unless it was absolutely necessary. If I have a slight grinding from 2nd to 3rd, I really doubt it would be worth it. Changing a component like that almost always creates more headaches..(Damage to paint, Missing a bolt, Oil Leaks, another car reverses into yours, car falls off lift , etc etc)

And for all you buyers out there versus leasers, thats your car that you own for a couple years well, so think of the future, if you want to create a chain reaction of more headaches or not.

Yes, its under warranty, but almost always, something happens to a car that gets this type of large scale maintenance done, either by them not putting it back 100% properly or the damagig other parts of the car.

This grinding is rare for these cars, as I have only heard a few people have that problem. Because of that, It wouldnt warrant advice to go out and try to get your transmission changed for the heck of it.

A car is a machine and unfortunately, it is not perfect, few will have tranny issues, few will have noises from engine lifters (For example).

Enjoy your car and if you do hear a noise, have it investigated, but make changing your transmission your very last resort.

[cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought mine 4/3/2003 and has about 1,300 miles on it. I did experience grinding in 2nd and 3rd a couple of times. I will definitely keep monitoring it.

Black 6MT w/Graphite | Premium Pkg | Aero w/spoiler

·
Registered
17 Posts
My car has 6000 miles on it now and the only thing I've noticed is that the clutch ingagement is little farther into the pedal travel compared to other cars. When shifting from second to third I've found that if I let the shifter center it's self before ingaging into third it shifts much smoother and predictable. The RPM's staying high may be countrbuted to the ingagment point of the clutch and a light flywheel. Pushing the shifter rather than throwing it will help ingagment a great deal.

03 DP/W 6mt,Prem.,Navg.
00 Hayabusa 1300R
97 Ram 1500 R/T

·
Registered
328 Posts
I took my car in for a rattling noise coming when the car is in neutral and the clutch isn't pressed. When the clutch is pressed the noise is gone. the dealership said that its a normal noise and many people have complained about it and the dealership can't fixed it. Infiniti doesn't wanna issue a recall untill a lot of people complain. It says on the service paper "no solution to problem at this time"....i dunno by I smell something lemony with this G. I have experience with lemon law and its easy to go forward with the lemon law but i don't wanna do it cuz i love my G. The only way to make the dealership work hard and fin the problem is by threatening them with the lemon law. That is the number one way of doing it. So after i take it in for the seond time and they don't do anything i will tell them that i will open a lemon law case against them if they don't fix the problem. Then they try harder and fix the problem if they can and if not then i just get another new G.

I don't think the 6mt transmission is built really well

2003.5 6MT Sedan

·
Registered
550 Posts
Spoke with the Mechanics at my Infiniti Dealership about this grinding, notchy feeling from going from second to third.

They told me they have received many complaints about it..These are the facts as quoted from the mechanics:
1> The current Transmission is from the original Skyline 3.5 GTR in Japan. It is built with a type of chromium metal used in the synchro instead of the normally used copper. The advantage to the chromium is it lasts longer and can withstand better to the high amounts of torque put out by the 3.5L Engine. The only downside is the notchy feeling, sometimes noisy, and lack of smoothness going into certain gears. They said that in the japanese spec, its the same situation but is not a problem over there because people understand its a racing, high-performance car, and the turbo models distract the driver from the noise due to the noise from the turbo spooling.
2: Infiniti is planning on revising the transmission in 2004 to replace the chromium synchro with copper, which will solve the notchyness and some noises, making it smoother, but he said it is not going to be a Skyline matched, High-Quality transmission that can withstand the torque demand as well, and a hard driver will wear this synchro fast.

His quote was "People in the USA don't understand where this car is coming from. Its one of the best performing vehicles in Japan, that was brought over here. Just because its badged Infiniti makes its drivers want the car from the luxury rather than performance. This puts the dealers in a position. Advising its customers that the car is manufactured this way, makes them be looked on as not credible. The people have cried and Nissan has listened. They will get their smoother, quiter transmission, but the quality will not be the same and you will not be driving a true Skyline any longer." [:O]

That information derived from the mechanics at Infiniti in Miami. He told me the current complaint he has heard from few G35 owners is the grinding is very minimal, only while driving hard, and as G35Mike stated, when you engage the clutch NOT all the way in. He also said if you have any noise that is abnormally loud and frequent, that is not what he is referring to and than could be another situation. [dunce]

He said he is tired of people complaining about the G35...They dont realize how lucky we are to be driving one of the most amazingly built cars in the World(Japanese Standards).[pimp]

With all that said, I'm gone driving [cheers]

2003.5 G35 Coupe | 6MT | Aero | Premium | NAV | Ivory Pearl/Graphite Lthr | AKA TBA
2001 Nissan Frontier | Crew Cab | Supercharged | 4AT | Silver Ice/Graphite Lthr |AKA BULLET

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an auto coupe and I too am having transmission problems. It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes when I'm in the e-shift mode, it will drop into 1st real hard just before I come to a stop. It really feels and sounds like its doing some damage. I am going to have the dealership look at it when I take it in for it's oil change. It's probably happened about 4 or 5 times and I drive in the e-shift mode allot. I think I have around 6k miles on it.

Brilliant Silver G35 Coupe
5 speed
Everything but NAV
http://www.corevoltage.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by rlipps

This tells me that Infiniti must realize the problem and is very willing to fix it with a NO QUESTIONS ASKED attitude.

... Hopefully things wont start smelling LEMONy for the 6MT Coupe!![werd]

| G35 Coupe | Obsidian Black w/ Black Leather | 6 MT | Navi. | 15% tint on fronts 5% on the rest |
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't over react because the dealer replaced the transmission assembly. It has been Infiniti's policy for years to replace rather than repair both engines and transmissions. Anytime you have a verifiable problem they simply ship a replacement. They then take the old one and disassemble it to see exactly what the problem was. So all you received was the normal warranty approach.

Located 3 Miles West of DFW Airport on Airport Freeway. Tollfree 888-4GRUBBS ext 4050

·
Registered
2 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Don't over react because the dealer replaced the transmission assembly. It has been Infiniti's policy for years to replace rather than repair both engines and transmissions. Anytime you have a verifiable problem they simply ship a replacement. They then take the old one and disassemble it to see exactly what the problem was. So all you received was the normal warranty approach.

Located 3 Miles West of DFW Airport on Airport Freeway. Tollfree 888-4GRUBBS ext 4050
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And that's not a bad policy to have, IMHO. That's why I own an Infiniti, as opposed to the shoddy Honda service I got with the Prelude.

I'm just surprised that there's trouble with the transmission, mine seems to be loosening up nicely, and I love the throws and action on it.

2003 DG Coupe
6-speed, Aero

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dfw, thank you for the information, i have been waiting for you to lend your knowledge to the 6mt.net forum.

welcome aboard.

p.s. do you have any numbers on the borla exhaust system for the coupe yet?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What production runs to all of you 6MT owners have? I have a Dec02 production run, Feb03 dealer arrival 6MT sedan. Just found out that I do have the copper syncros as well, which must be why I haven't noticed too many problems. Hope this does not mean premature wear-out vs. the chromium syncros. Anybody know when they made the syncro material change in the coupe and sedan???

·
Registered
56 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">His quote was "People in the USA don't understand where this car is coming from. Its one of the best performing vehicles in Japan, that was brought over here. Just because its badged Infiniti makes its drivers want the car from the luxury rather than performance. This puts the dealers in a position. Advising its customers that the car is manufactured this way, makes them be looked on as not credible. The people have cried and Nissan has listened. They will get their smoother, quiter transmission, but the quality will not be the same and you will not be driving a true Skyline any longer<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That dude needs to be in upper management. Dang I'd prefer the noise and a STRONG tranny. We saw what happened to Acura with powerful engines and weak trannies.....Honda giving owners 100k warrenties.

1SICKLEX's words and comments do not reflect Lexus corp, ClubLexus nor his mother's.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
i would like to know what % apr financing did you guys get on your car. 60 month purchase only please. i feel i got ripped off by infiniti financing at 5.99... but will be paying it off in 30 months

thanks guys

1 - 20 of 36 Posts