Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Planning on picking up an '09 G37 Sedan, but facing the age-old question of Manual vs. Automatic transmission. I'm fairly new to driving stick, and really have only had experience shifting in a Mitsubishi Lancer and Ford Focus.

I've heard the 6MT in the G37 isn't a very forgiving one and has a bit of a learning curve. I'm sure I'd get the hang of it after a while, but I'm honestly a bit anxious about going in for a test drive. Any 6MT owners care to offer their insight about how it has compared to other stickshift cars you've driven/owned?

Planning to take a trip to the local Infiniti dealer soon... :D

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
If you are thinking you want the 6MT, get it. Don't "settle" for the auto if that's not what you want.

Tips: it's just another manual transmission, slip the clutch, give it some gas, off you go. The only other thing to say is the engagement point is kinda high (lot's of travel up from the floor) so if you are on a slope be warned, you're gonna roll some...just about rolled into a parking stop on the 2nd one I test drove :???:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a G37 a couple of months ago. I've always had manual trans cars and thought I'd give an automatic a try. I now have over 7000mi on the car and still can not get use to this automatic. It doesn't shift up or down when I would like it to. Other than that the radio sucks, it is the journey model so no Bose, so I'm going to replace the speakers and add amps. The ride and handling I do like and the small size gets into parking spots nicely. I'll probably keep it about 2 years and start looking again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I think I will opt for the 6-speed... getting real bored of driving an auto and even though I still suck at it, driving my friend's manual car is really a ton of fun.

Hope to join in as a fellow owner soon!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bouth the 6MT a month ago and love it. But I've been driving manual transmissions my whole life. You won't regret the stick shift. It's a blast to drive.

Founder

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the 7AT.
When I want to make sure I am in the proper gear (not on auto pilot) I use the manual mode.....problem solved.
The 7AT is also quicker to 60 if memory serves.
For a DD the auto was/is a no brainer.
Keep in mind I am coming from an STI so I know the joys (subjective) of
rowing through the gears.
My enthusiast days are over but I can def understand the reason behind driving a stick.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
to be honest with you, I like the automatic on this car even though I dont like auto cars at all. But no matter what, it gets boring after a while thats why I got myself a 6mt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you don't really enjoy driving a manual, I wouldn't get one. Personally, I enjoy a manual in every situation except sitting in traffic which I do every day going to and from work. Because of that I bought my G37 for daily use in automatic, but my weekend car (when there isn't any traffic) is a stick.

The manual trans is definitely more rewarding when you can take a fun drive on twisty roads and at varying speeds without a lot of other cars around. It's kinda pointless for city driving, IMO.

That's why I always have a car with each transmission type.. best of both worlds. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
To me this car only serves you right in Manual, to me the auto boxes are just plain boring, driving is about driving....so get the manual and no disrespect to auto owners

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always go for the manual if one is available. Even in stop-and-go traffic, it's not that bad.

The manual transmission in the G37 is great. As stated above, the engagement point is high, more than what I'm used to. My last car was a X-Type Sport 5MT, and the engagement point was a lot lower.

Can't go wrong with either, but I carve mountains at least twice a month in my G37, and I wouldn't have nearly as much fun with a slushbox.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get the manual. I specifically went to the G from a Maxima because they stopped making them with a standard transmission a few years back. My 6MT is a blast to drive. As others have already stated, there is a lot of clutch and the engage point is very high so it'll take practice to start getting really smooth shifts with her. Still definitely worth the learning pains though! Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is a manual, well worth it. Except in traffic. I did stall in the dealer lot on my way out. But I was anxious, I wanted to leave and the dude who sold it to me insisted on teaching me how to dock a stupid ipod. Personal preference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just test drove a 6mt last week. I had manuals for 18 years, then went without a manual for the next 16 (yeah I know, I'm old). I killed it first, but soon was off and running and was like riding a bike, can't be unlearned. High kick point for sure but a blast to drive. I'm negotiating with the dealer as we speak, I want it, but I want it right. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a newbe but have 35 thou on my 2010 6MT with a 6 speed. Love most of it. The gearbox is slow to break in. Meaning it shifts much better after a few thousand miles. The road noise is horrific but I guess it comes with the fun part. I found that turning off the traction control made the spirited driving a lot better with no sudden jerks and flat spots. How about the fly by wire throttle? Anyone buy the kit that supposidly gets ride of all the throttle lag?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been driving manuals for about 18 years or so, and I agree that the 6MT has a relatively high clutch engagement point. As far as driving in stop/go traffic is concerned, the good thing about the G37 is that with the torque it has you can just leave it in 2nd - that should cut down a lot on changing. If you are brave and/or skilled you could probably leave it in 3rd for stop/go, but your clutch may not like that in the long run.

My G37 has been in the shop for about 10% of it's life so far (another post) so I've had a lot of loaners. I drive 20 mountain miles each way every day, and the thing that bugs me most about the auto is that it is always in too high a gear. Sure you can kick down but that's a bit... dramatic. And yes, you can pull the shifter across to manual mode but the shifter sits too far back to fall to your hand comfortably, and you then suffer with a very noisy transmission.

The 6MT is the way to go without doubt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts