Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get the stock Nav unit as I didn't feel a glorified map was worth 2G. However, if that map was voice activated and could play DVD's, then it would be worth it.
From reading at other forums, the one advantage the Infiniti nav has is the way it pops up from the dash. Very sweet! Like others out there, I would like to incorporate this same idea into an aftermarket system. Anyone have any info on this? Will hooking up a DVD unit to a Bose system be a problem?

Asa
2003 G35C
CB 6MT
2-1-03

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm getting the base model without Nav. I REALLY want the nav, but didn't need the premium package. I'm sure that someone will find a way to install an after market nav that functions similar to the OEM one. It won't integrate into the head unit, though.

Here is a good installation...

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Plus, it looks like you'd still be able to view the clock! The trick would be if you could have that screen slide up and down in the top compartment [8D]

6-speed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen this guys nav. Nice job! I'm looking into this unit, although I'd really love to reproduce the pop up feature in the stock nav unit. Once I get mine, I can make some measurements and shop around for screens that fit.
Again, my concern is whether the Bose unit has an audio input. Anyone know? I've heard Bose can be tricky to modify and I now next to nothing about this kind of stuff.

Asa
2003 G35C
CB 6MT
2-1-03

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't know about that. That Pioneer unit is pretty expensive. But has a TON of features. Much more then the stock unit. Plus you can play DVD's!

6-speed

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nope, stock navi will not play DVD movies.

6-speed

·
Registered
153 Posts
VQ i must thank ya man...honestly if it wasn't for you website..i would make a 2000 dollar choice that would be useless to me. I know my way around here...in FL. I still was going to get the Nav cuaz i thought it was DVD playback as well...but thanks to you guys i found out its DVD-Rom database.

Thx AGAIN! =)

FLaCo = SKiNNy

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dammit!
I wish i can actually watch the damm DVD...
what whould happen if i just put in a MIB2 in it?
will it explode?[timebomb]

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It most likely doesn't have the ability to decode MPEG 2 and DD/DTS audio which means it will simply give you an error that it can't read the disk.

But I haven't tried yet. I keep meaning to do so and hope that they were sneaky and slipped the codec in.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by FLaCo

Would it be safe to do some modding to the DVD Navi?

FLaCo = SKiNNy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Define safe. I'd think it would be relatively easy, assuming they didn't use some assinine proprietary connector. The kicker would be that you basically spent a couple thousand dollars for a small LCD screen.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Semi On
Define safe. I'd think it would be relatively easy, assuming they didn't use some assinine proprietary connector. The kicker would be that you basically spent a couple thousand dollars for a small LCD screen.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Haha yeah I agree with you Semi...a couple thousand for a tiny LCD screen...NOT worth it!

'03 G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
That install cost a lot. They took their time, rounding off the cuts in the aluminum console to look factory. That kind of labor isn't cheap.

The only people I know of in Phoenix with that kind of skill charge about $400/day for labor.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well what if I just wanted the TV/DVD hook ups...not the Navi. I really have no use for a Navi but want the DVD/TV possibly. Keep my woman occupied on road trips...hehe![:D]

'03 G35 Sedan.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts