Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say, "Hello."

My current family collection of Nissans: 1996 I30, 1997 200SX SE-R (for sale,) 1997 240SX SE w/SR20DET. I also own a 2004 Acura TSX 6MT.

For my next vehicle, I was thinking of a mid-size sporty sedan with a manual transmission and the G37 looked like a good fit on paper. I just test drove a 2010 Sport and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. I've been searching on the forum and had a few basic questions that I had a hard time finding answers.

1. Body Damage - Unlike my older cars, I could not find VIN stickers on the trunk and rear fenders. Does this mean it's been in an accident or is this normal?
  2. Electronics - My other Nissan's had issues with the positive battery cable corroding and some grounding issues. Anything I should know about this platform and similar issues?
  3. Transmission - The only experience I have with RWD is my S14. Replacing the clutch was a bit of a pain reaching the top bolts on the bell housing, but not horrible once it was down. Is there anything unique about this car that took you by surprise?
  4. Maintenance - Same question as above. Anything unique that's not talked about a lot on the forum that is a PITA for DIY's during regular maintenance?
Thank you!

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
Welcome to 6mt. I have no personal experience with the G37 other than having it as a loaner but I have experience with the prior generation.

1. The vin is on the driver door sill, the dash and under the hood where there is a metal plate attached usually to the fender.

2. I haven't read about any battery corrosion issues. I haven't had any issues with my 3 Infinitis.

3. I have no idea on his one. The factory service manual is available.

4. I find these cars to be fairly maintenance free aside from oil changes and occasional fluid replacement. The cars have built in negative camber so some cars have accelerated inner tire wear that can be fixed with camber kits and an alignment.

Run the vin thru Infiniti consumer assistance and they can tell you of the service the car has had at any Infiniti dealership. They can also tell you how much warranty is left.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VIN - Thanks Gilley. This is a good start. I was getting worried went I didn't see VIN stickers in locations found on my other cars.

FSM - I didn't realize whey were available here. I'll do a little more searching on the site.

Maintenance - Thanks for the tip on Infiniti CS. It's so simple I didn't think of it :)

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Speaking for me, I'd guess a big part of the appeal to a newer G is leaving some the piss-ant quirks behind that are common with the the first 2 or 3 years. Door lock actuators, window motors, little things that have nothing to do with major costs, engine or power-train related stuff.

*I have not read of a battery corrosion issue on the these cars specifically that was a common trait or problem.

*Although I'm in the midst of getting some info for an upcoming clutch job, at 110,000 miles, I truly think it's a rare case. Mine had two previous owners and I got the car at 97,000. There is no way for me to know if the previous owners or any drivers were both proficient at standard transmissions and proficient with the 6MT and it's unnaturally high clutch engagement threshold. IMO, this can easily contribute to 'riding the clutch' since there is so much travel before it grabs. I'm not sure if this has been addressed or improved on newer G's but you'll have the benefit of knowing to be aware of the possibility. For all I know, maybe I did some damage in the last 10,000 miles the car has since I owned it but I did drive a VW better than 155k before it was loaned out to someone who did indeed smoke the clutch. :-(

Gilley gave advice a while back that is spot-on regarding the clutch that behaves as above. You don't need to take it 100% to the floor as you shift. This in turn, makes the travel and action seem a bit more normal and I'd think, lessens the opportunity for slipping it.
-- Good luck with your search, I'm sure those are nice cars in all respects and you may get warranty or left over time/miles on warranty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello,

My current family collection of Nissans: 1996 I30, 1997 200SX SE-R (for sale,) 1997 240SX SE w/SR20DET. I also own a 2004 Acura TSX 6MT.

For my next vehicle, I was thinking of a mid-size sporty sedan with a manual transmission and the G37 looked like a good fit on paper. I just test drove a 2010 Sport and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. I've been searching on the forum and had a few basic questions that I had a hard time finding answers.

1. Body Damage - Unlike my older cars, I could not find VIN stickers on the trunk and rear fenders. Does this mean it's been in an accident or is this normal?
  2. Electronics - My other Nissan's had issues with the positive battery cable corroding and some grounding issues. Anything I should know about this platform and similar issues?
  3. Transmission - The only experience I have with RWD is my S14. Replacing the clutch was a bit of a pain reaching the top bolts on the bell housing, but not horrible once it was down. Is there anything unique about this car that took you by surprise?
  4. Maintenance - Same question as above. Anything unique that's not talked about a lot on the forum that is a PITA for DIY's during regular maintenance?
Thank you!
I've got a 2011 G37S sedan which I purchased new in January 2011. It's got 36K on it now. I have had zero problems with it. Other than oil changes there has been no maintenance needed or done. Obviously, no issues with the clutch or electronics.

I drive fairly briskly and have been pleased with the performance. Gas mileage has been decent for the type of car. I don't keep close track of it, but seems to be about where my previous car, an Acura CLS 6sp, was so I'd guess around 20 city and 26 or 27 highway. I definitely enjoy driving it so nuff said.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hello,

Thank you!
Sounds like I have a twin. I also formally owned a 97 ser and a 90 240sx with sr20, as well as a 93 ser(loved that car)

sent from Galaxy Note II

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
FWIW - I had the engine replaced on my 2013 G37S 6MT due to excessive oil consumption.

Ron.
I had no idea the OC issue was still haunting cars this new or current ...

Is this well known?
I thought it was limited to earlier years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had no idea the OC issue was still haunting cars this new or current ...

Is this well known?
I thought it was limited to earlier years.
Apparently not. The second engine on my 2013 has gone through almost a quart in about 4K miles since it was put in, and Infiniti are going to take another look. I've also had a broken driver's seat fixed and clutch pedal replaced.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
What was the culprit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Oil consumption was an issue earlier on for some Infiniti's, motor burns through oil way too fast. Loose tolerances I suppose.
It was well documented and there are lots of posts or threads about it.

If you care to research it more a search should net you lots of reading

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very true. I read about the early issues and was curious if it was related and how this owner addressed it. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
Very true. I read about the early issues and was curious if it was related and how this owner addressed it. Thank you.
Oops... sorry, I missed a few posts here.

Per this;

Apparently not. The second engine on my 2013 has gone through almost a quart in about 4K miles since it was put in, and Infiniti are going to take another look. I've also had a broken driver's seat fixed and clutch pedal replaced.
Sounds like he is knee deep into it again waiting to see what they'll do on a this 2nd situation. If they value what he says and claims, they'll do the use test for a while to verify it.

Usually, you'd want to keep detailed records on everything such as what the tech or dealer involved says, (exact words, thoughts or promises).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oops... sorry, I missed a few posts here.

Per this;

Sounds like he is knee deep into it again waiting to see what they'll do on a this 2nd situation. If they value what he says and claims, they'll do the use test for a while to verify it.

Usually, you'd want to keep detailed records on everything such as what the tech or dealer involved says, (exact words, thoughts or promises).
Oil consumption check came back OK, i.e no excessive consumption. However (and this is the important part for me), they didn't refill it, sealed it up, and want to check it again after another 1K.

I wonder if Infiniti would just buy out the remainder of my lease (only 6 months left) so that I can move on? I'm up to 15 visits to the shop in 19 months at this point.

·
Premium Member
15,445 Posts
I wonder if Infiniti would just buy out the remainder of my lease (only 6 months left) so that I can move on? I'm up to 15 visits to the shop in 19 months at this point.
I'm sure it depends on who you talk to and how well you convey the story but I don't see how an Infiniti rep could hear of this experience and not be embarrassed or at least left a loss of how to respond without having it sound like "You just have to live with it as is til the lease is up."

Were it me, I'd say 15 visits (my time of making the appt and travel time and wait time) as 15 X 90 min or 22 + hours of MY TIME !!
That's insane.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Buying out the lease is something you could bring up to them with only six months to go.
I'm going to try my luck at that. Let's see if they'll just take it off my hands - I'll let you know how it goes.

I know that you guys are all Infiniti fans, but any advice on breaking a lease? Anyone had to do it before?

·
Super Duper Moderator
53,487 Posts
You can sell the car to a dealer, even non Infiniti dealer, just as you would a car with a loan. You just have to make sure the trade in value is enough to buy you out of the lease.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oil consumption check came back OK, i.e no excessive consumption. However (and this is the important part for me), they didn't refill it, sealed it up, and want to check it again after another 1K.

Fifteen visits in nineteen months would qualify you under the lemon laws in most states.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts