Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how the rest of you are using your A/C. I almost always have it set on ECON when I use it. It still cools the car down real fast and maintains a fairly steady temperature. I had the car in Vegas this past weekend in 110° heat, and it still worked great. Nice job, Infiniti! [thmsup]

Doesn't seem to be necessary to use the full power of the "regular" A/C setting.

-Ken

2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm curious to know how much fuel/power the ECON setting saves? I've noticed the same thing, it seems to cool just as well!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius

·
Registered
77 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by kloh

I'm just curious how the rest of you are using your A/C. I almost always have it set on ECON when I use it. It still cools the car down real fast and maintains a fairly steady temperature. I had the car in Vegas this past weekend in 110° heat, and it still worked great. Nice job, Infiniti! [thmsup]

Doesn't seem to be necessary to use the full power of the "regular" A/C setting.

-Ken

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't know the answer. Since getting my car in mid-May, I've been setting a/c manually and not hitting that button to the right, econ/auto. I guess then, when I'm using outside air and a/c, I'm essentially in econ mode---is that right?[boink]

Time to re-read my owner's manual which is in the trunk. I'd like to know if it makes much diff as to fuel useage, also, if you're using "econ" mode or manually setting it with outside air.

Logically, it'd seem to me that blowing hot, 110 degree air into the car and then cooling it might take more energy vs. recirc the semi-cooled air already in the cabin. But that's just logic; it may have nothing to do with reality.[:D]

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks for the tip Ken. I didn't realize that option was there; I guess I should re-read my manual.

I tried it on the way home yesterday and noticed no difference/loss in cooling effect.

Must be some sort of energy saving mode.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok here's the deal as i understand it:

Econ operation reduces some load to the engine to improve the fuel economy. However, the negative is it allows higher humidity than with it off.

Econ cools outside Air. Regular recirculates already cooled after refiltering it. However, take note that if the cabin is very hot, Econ will automatically use the same process as regular until the cabin cools - then it will switch to true Econ mode.

The power consumption between the two should be pretty negligable - not sure why why manufacturers use the Econ at all - it only works once the cabin is already cool. If it didn't use regular before switching to Econ - you'd have very foggy interior windows.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I still don't see a downside to using it -- humidity be damned! Particularly if it will automatically switch to "regular" mode when necessary.

Thanks for the info, Jarret! [clapper]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey i know this is kinda an old topic but i didn't really get a straight answer after doing a search. Maybe i don't catch on easy or somethin but i'm still a little confused with what the Auto/Econ button does and what setting is best for what...

My milage isnt' the greatest (18mpg?) so i was just wonderin if maybe i'm doin unneeded conditioning or something??

Can someone in some simpler terms explain exactly what air setting does what? My humblest thanks...

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK, I think you have the right idea but...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Econ cools outside Air. Regular recirculates already cooled after refiltering it. However, take note that if the cabin is very hot, Econ will automatically use the same process as regular until the cabin cools - then it will switch to true Econ mode.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The difference between econ and regular is simple...ECON uses a thermostat to stop cooling when desired temp is reached, regular keeps on cooling until u turn it off. You can set regular to circulate the air or cool the cabin air. ECON does save a little on gas but better than that it keeps us from having to CONSTANTLY adjust the A/C because it gets HOT then COLD then HOT ;)

'03 G35 Coupe | Black on Black | Premium | 20% tint | Clear Corners http://www.cardomain.com/id/dabomb3

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Hey dabomb, I think you're talking about the "auto" feature, not "econ".

You know what I drive. Pictures.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I believe the auto mode is for A/C needs to a certain temp. If you need the heat or outside air circulation you will need the economy mode. This is the way my Maxima auto air operated.

Just a thought!

2004 G35 Coupe|5AT| Brilliant Silver|Graphite Leather|Premium|Perfomance|Aero|Pictures

·
Registered
328 Posts
So if this is true then what are the two buttons to the left of the Econ button??? I thought that was how u controlled outside/inside circulation!!! I could be wrong but im thinkin u guys arent right in what econ does.

'03 G35 Coupe | Black on Black | Premium | 20% tint | Clear Corners http://www.cardomain.com/id/dabomb3

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I tried doing a relevant search and came up with nothing. My quesiton is this: has onyone else had problem with the air from the a/c taking a long time to get cold? My G35 coupe takes about 3-5 minutes for the air coming out of the vents to actuall get "cold", although . I have it set on Regular mode and it's set so it recirculates the air from inside the cabin, but it takes so dang long to get cold. My '99 Nissan Altima takes about 30 seconds and it's ice cold, so I kind of expected the same thing from an Infiniti. Any ideas? (By the way, my girlfriend's G35 sedan is the same way!)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I don't think mine takes 3-5 minutes, but it seems to depend on how fast I get going after starting the car at the end of a work day. I will say that I don't understand the use of ECON, in addition to the use of climate control.

Econ sucks the air in from the outside, instead of recirculating already cooled air from the cabin. Seems like ECON would recirculate already cooled air, since that sounds more ECONomical.

-Chris

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is there a way to get cold air from the dash vents and floor vents at the same time in auto mode?? So far the only way I've been able to do this is in manual mode.

2004 G35C | 6MT | Diamond Graphite | Graphite Leather | Premium | Clear Corners | Eibach Pro Kit

·
Registered
336 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Econ mode doesn't cool the car in Texas. I'm always using the Auto one<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ditto. Unless, of course, I'm making max RPM turns and trying to squeeze every last pony out of the car - then I just shut down the A/C and sweat like a turkey on Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I leave mine in that setting if I don't have the windows down. Works okay for me. For the people in AZ, CA, and Las Vegas.......humidity? What's that?

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
F&CK HUMIDITY! Walk outside to get something out of your car, 5 minutes later your soaking wet and you feel like shit.

|04 G35c desert platinum|5at|premium|sport package|aero|navi|18" alloy rims & performance tires|front lip|drilled aluminum pedals|clear corners|Nismo Gen.II CAI

·
Registered
247 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jaylin

F&CK HUMIDITY! Walk outside to get something out of your car, 5 minutes later your soaking wet and you feel like shit.

|04 G35c desert platinum|5at|premium|sport package|aero|navi|18" alloy rims & performance tires|front lip|drilled aluminum pedals|clear corners|Nismo Gen.II CAI
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Jaylin, your words are very shophisticated!!! I admire your comments!!!! [:D][grad][rockon][thmsup]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts