Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an automatic black on black sport coupe with premium, navigation and the performance wheel and tire package about two weeks ago. The car is outstanding top to bottom, but already my 6-disc CD changer went on the fritz and swallowed 3 of my CD's the other day while I was trying to eject them. My local dealer has opted to swap out the entire unit, but I was a bit disappointed to have something like this happen so early.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any other problems with the Coupe we should know about?

2003 G35 Sport Coupe
Black Obsidian/Graphite
Premium/NAV/Perf. W&T

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've heard that the Clarion unit (in the G) doesn't like CD-R's. Were you using those? Sometimes if you have labels on the CD's the mechanism has a rough time ejecting them.

Did you get a error code?

2003 G35 Coupe (on order)
6-speed
Diamond Graphite / Graphite

·
Registered
4 Posts
<font face="Times New Roman"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Hi,
I have been researching on the G35 coupe ever since I placed an order for a one Black on Black with performance package. From my research I remember an article that mentioned a problem with the CD changer. The owner eventually had it replaced.

It's just like "MOTOR TREND" reported in their "CAR OF THE YEAR 2003" report, namely hinting that Nissan spent its money on the performance , design, safety, and technology (specifically the 3.5 V6 engine)of the G35; unfortunately the interior and the finish (of the interior) and the materials (of the interior). Infact when I first set my eyes on the G35 and thereafter I had a test driven it, the only down side I could find was the interior.[:)]</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="Times New Roman">

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I'd prefer the money being spent on design and drivetrain, rather then fancy cockpit features. Look at all of your crazy exotics, pretty bland interiors if you ask me [:)]

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
YES...I have had this SAME problem. I use CD-R's and have not had a problem at all when there is no label on it. BUT I lent my car to my Dad for a week while I was out of town. He put two CD-R's in my cd player to listen and he likes to create those fancy personal labels for them. HOLY CRAP I thought I would never get those things out...this has happened to me twice already. I got the error code on the CD changer and finally they came out. I figured it was my fault since the labels were on there and it chewed one of the labels almost off. This a factory problem? I mean I have never had any problems with my NON-labeled CD-R's or bought CD's from the store...

03' G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The labels cause 2 problems:

1. The rubber rollers that try to eject the CD do not get any traction on the paper labels.

2. The label edges peel up ever so slightly and catch on all of the internal mechanisms... if this happens, good luck getting that CD out. Get out the screw driver and just take the sucker apart [;)]

6-speed

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yeah I got lucky both times VQ and managed to get it to eject after about 20min of hassling with it...thank god! But you think this is a factory defect that I should take it in for? Also did anyone else get the recall about headlights being stolen? I already took it in to get fixed but thought it was amusing...apparently people were stealing the bulbs way too easy from the G's so they had to replace the covering to secure it better from what I heard. Sucks that there has been two recalls already for stuff...but hey what can you expect from a new model year...

03' G35 Sedan.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Recalls, fixes, problems... all things that happen with 1st year designs. I heard that TL's and CL's were big on the Xenon theives lists too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You're right VQ. I had an old Prelude with a CD that didn't move at all. The label was so wrapped up in the cd player that I couldn't even budge the sucker. Had to take the radion out, and take it apart. Finally got it out, but what a pain in the ass [:(!]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What kinda prelude, I used to have one too [:D]

6-speed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your feedback. When the problem first occured I got an "ERR FO" message on the display. No CDRs were loaded, all normal audio CDs. I talked to a buddy with a Pathfinder and he had a similar problem with his in-dash changer. Basically it sounds like a bum machine to me.

Going to put padlocks on my Xenons now...[:D]

2003 G35 Sport Coupe
Black Obsidian/Graphite
Premium/NAV/Perf. W&T

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sounds like that's the problem.

So what's up with the xenons? I'm going to start another thread on this to see if anyone has any further info on this.

6-speed

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think a lot of car companies with in dash changers have this problem. I know the IS300 has it too. I haven't had that problem yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Deja could be right, my CL has a 6-disc in dash changer and I have similar problems. I think they just have too many moving mechanisms in a very small area.

6-speed

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey yall... i picked up my G coupe the day after thanksgiving '02. The "premimum" cd changer broke on the way home from the dealership! The dealer made me sit through their new car orientation and he loaded all 6 disks for me. Then while driving the 4 miles home from the dealership, the changer jammed after i tried playing another loaded disk....and no, it was not a CD-R. They replaced the whole unit and the 6 disks were lost (they sent the unit back to bose, but i still have not gotten my stuff back!)
Three weeks later, the same damn thing.... all CD's were loaded fine, but when you try to play a different loaded CD, the thing jams up. Again, 6 BRAND NEW CD's GONE!
I really hope that this is not an ongoing issue... but it really appears to be. This car is absolutly FANTASTIC to drive, but this P.O.S Bose changer SUCKS.

03 G35C Blk/blk fully loaded Prem w/aero

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Oh man that sucks! Sorry to hear, and hope they come out with an updated unit. By the way, Clarion makes the Bose head unit. Bose ONLY makes the amp and speakers... kind of false advertising if you ask me.

6-speed

·
Registered
172 Posts
Which parts does clarion make, just the actual unit in the dash? What all does this effect? As long as the speakers and amp are bose, I'll be fine because we can always put in a different unit, cant we? Anyways, I probalby won't be getting a CD changer, just the one in dash and then maybe having a way to hook up my mp3 player via an audio-in.

Hope to have no problems. Then again, by the time I get mine, all the bugs will probably be worked out. Man 2005 sounds so long.....maybe I'll get it sooner -- let's hope!

Patiently -- or not so patiently waiting to trade in my 1996 I30 for a wonderful G35 SC!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Simple solution: use a sharpy to name your CD-R's and not some silly paper label.

I've had no problem with CD-R's that lack a self made label.

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
I just picked up an automatic black on black sport coupe with premium, navigation and the performance wheel and tire package about two weeks ago. The car is outstanding top to bottom, but already my 6-disc CD changer went on the fritz and swallowed 3 of my CD's the other day while I was trying to eject them. My local dealer has opted to swap out the entire unit, but I was a bit disappointed to have something like this happen so early.

Has anyone had similar issues? Any other problems with the Coupe we should know about?

2003 G35 Sport Coupe
Black Obsidian/Graphite
Premium/NAV/Perf. W&T
Bummer man... I think you should have waited a few years to get the 07...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.