Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
Well, that's just your opinion. I've only driven the car during a test drive, so I obviously don't have the option of driving the car every day like you, but the high engagement point of the clutch makes it difficult to shift smoothly. Almost every car I've owned in the last 18 years has been manual transmission and none of them have felt as awkward as the G37.

People can say tell me all day that it is something that I'll get used to...and maybe that's true. But I'll never get used to it if it bothers me enough not to buy the car in the first place. I like to get enjoyment out of driving a manual transmission car, especially a sporty car like the G37. If I hate the clutch, then I'll never enjoy driving it.

BTW, I read a bunch of threads over on the G35driver forum where tons of people are complaining about the high clutch engagement. It also seems to be a big issue with the 350Z guys as well. So like I said, it's all about everyone's opinion...
did you write that article? just curious....

·
Registered
20 Posts
did you write that article? just curious....
No, I didn't write the article... LOL. I'm just someone who recently joined the forum to find out if there was a way to adjust the clutch because I hated it during my 10-minute test drive. Then I found this thread where someone wrote an article and complained about the same exact thing. A few guys on the forum are bashing the guy for saying that he didn't like the clutch...but I agree with him. That's all.

If you read some of the other G forums and even Z forums, it seems that this is a VERY common complaint. For some strange reason, not many members of this forum seem to be bothered by the high engagement point of the clutch. But I have now read several threads about changing the clutch engagement point on other forums, so there are a lot of people who obviously don't like it either...

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
I am personally not the biggest fan of the clutch but after driving the car as long as I have, I've learned how to drive it fairly well. ( this was also my first stick shift car ).

I am very smooth with the clutch now although once in a while I will mess up and the car will lurch a bit.

I do have to say that I like the clutch for fast shifting and double clutching. I think it makes it easy.

well just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
No, I didn't write the article... LOL. I'm just someone who recently joined the forum to find out if there was a way to adjust the clutch because I hated it during my 10-minute test drive. Then I found this thread where someone wrote an article and complained about the same exact thing. A few guys on the forum are bashing the guy for saying that he didn't like the clutch...but I agree with him. That's all.

If you read some of the other G forums and even Z forums, it seems that this is a VERY common complaint. For some strange reason, not many members of this forum seem to be bothered by the high engagement point of the clutch. But I have now read several threads about changing the clutch engagement point on other forums, so there are a lot of people who obviously don't like it either...
I'm not bashing the guy for saying he didn't like the clutch... I'm bashing him because he publicly said after LOTS of use he still couldn't drive it correctly - which means he should not be reviewing cars.
I NEVER said it was the "best" clutch... or a "great" clutch... but i do think it's "decent"... and easier than the '04 G35 clutch.. (which was WAY different).
Anyway.. yeah the clutch might be a little weird and have a high engagement point.. but after a little while -- you quickly adjust to it.. just like you would any other clutch.
Sorry if I was mean toward you before -- just caught up in the moment of bashing a guy that is paid to drive cars that obviously cannot... :)
But as far as any advice goes.. I mean, I guess I do remember it being a little weird at first.. but def don't remember any major issues.. I'm sure you would adjust quickly.
Not many other members on here are bothered by it because - to be honest, not many other "common posters" own a G37..

·
Super Moderator
27,334 Posts
I am personally not the biggest fan of the clutch but after driving the car as long as I have, I've learned how to drive it fairly well. ( this was also my first stick shift car ).

I am very smooth with the clutch now although once in a while I will mess up and the car will lurch a bit.

I do have to say that I like the clutch for fast shifting and double clutching. I think it makes it easy.

well just my 2 cents.
your transmission doesn't have synchros?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not bashing the guy for saying he didn't like the clutch... I'm bashing him because he publicly said after LOTS of use he still couldn't drive it correctly - which means he should not be reviewing cars.
I NEVER said it was the "best" clutch... or a "great" clutch... but i do think it's "decent"... and easier than the '04 G35 clutch.. (which was WAY different).
Anyway.. yeah the clutch might be a little weird and have a high engagement point.. but after a little while -- you quickly adjust to it.. just like you would any other clutch.
Sorry if I was mean toward you before -- just caught up in the moment of bashing a guy that is paid to drive cars that obviously cannot... :)
But as far as any advice goes.. I mean, I guess I do remember it being a little weird at first.. but def don't remember any major issues.. I'm sure you would adjust quickly.
Not many other members on here are bothered by it because - to be honest, not many other "common posters" own a G37..
Hey, I agree with you... He must be at least a little bit of a spaz not to be able to "learn" the clutch and adapt to it. Like I said earlier, I never stalled the car once. The fact that he stalled the car and then continued to have problems after 10 days of driving the car is a bit strange. Makes me wonder how much experience he has driving a manual trans car.

·
Registered
20 Posts

well just my 2 cents.
Since this was the first manual trans car you've owned, I wouldn't expect you to be bothered by the clutch. I mean, how could you be bothered by it when it's normal to you? On the other hand, I've owned several (about 9 or 10) manual trans cars, ranging from Mustangs to an M3 and although they all felt different, I never felt bothered by their clutch engagement point. If the G37 was my first manual trans car, I'm sure I'd think the clutch was completely normal because I wouldn't know any different.

If you ever get a chance, you should drive a late model Honda Accord or Honda Civic wit a manual transmission. After owning and driving a G, you will be amazed how easy and simple it is to drive the Hondas. It's so easy to drive them buttery smooth because the clutches are so forgiving. But don't get me wrong--the G isn't an economy car and I wouldn't actually want that type of clutch. I just think Nissan/Infiniti should have made the clutch a little more forgiving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
your transmission doesn't have synchros?
Double clutching isn't necessary in a trans with synchronizers, but some people still do it because it is fun. I do it once in a while along with rev-matching.

BTW, double clutching also saves wear and tear on the synchros.

·
Administrator
105,691 Posts
If you ever get a chance, you should drive a late model Honda Accord or Honda Civic wit a manual transmission. After owning and driving a G, you will be amazed how easy and simple it is to drive the Hondas. It's so easy to drive them buttery smooth because the clutches are so forgiving. But don't get me wrong--the G isn't an economy car and I wouldn't actually want that type of clutch. I just think Nissan/Infiniti should have made the clutch a little more forgiving.
+1...my G was my first manual car as well. i got a chance to drive my friends 06 accord coupe v6 6mt and it was night and day. the honda transmission is so easy to drive....and so smooth. my bimmer is also much easier than the G.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
+1...my G was my first manual car as well. i got a chance to drive my friends 06 accord coupe v6 6mt and it was night and day. the honda transmission is so easy to drive....and so smooth. my bimmer is also much easier than the G.

and much uglier! haha jk :p

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
funny :)

i havent driven a G37 yet. im interested to see the difference between it and my G35 that i had.
faster, but more "mature"...
i put my spacers on yesterday... those with it already being lowered... makes it look nice.. i'll take pic in the next day or two once i clean it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
faster, but more "mature"...
i put my spacers on yesterday... those with it already being lowered... makes it look nice.. i'll take pic in the next day or two once i clean it.
Looks excellent...I looked at your pics on Twitter. Did you do the front also?

One other question--I see you got 15mm spacers, with separate studs. The Mustang guys usually go even bigger than 15mm, but they make kits for those guys that don't use separate studs that bolt to the spacers. Instead, the kit comes with longer studs that replace the originals (you just tap them out the back of the hub) and go through the spacer. Do they make spacers like that for the G? I'm not a fan of bolting spacers to the hub, and then bolting the wheels to the spacers.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
Looks excellent...I looked at your pics on Twitter. Did you do the front also?

One other question--I see you got 15mm spacers, with separate studs. The Mustang guys usually go even bigger than 15mm, but they make kits for those guys that don't use separate studs that bolt to the spacers. Instead, the kit comes with longer studs that replace the originals (you just tap them out the back of the hub) and go through the spacer. Do they make spacers like that for the G? I'm not a fan of bolting spacers to the hub, and then bolting the wheels to the spacers.
thanks... do I follow you on Twitter? what's your Twitter name?

yeah, I put 15mm on front and back.. there are two options - version 1 and version 2.
Version 1 ... the studs are separate... version 2.. they are already connected to the spacer... version 2 is much easier and just as safe... that's what I did.
They do make larger... 20mm and 25mm... I think the 25mm would stick out too far and not look right for a stock wheel like that.
20mm might look a little better than the 15mm.. but I'd be afraid to run into any issues with rubbing.. it might not... but looking at mine closely, i could see it being possible... so i kept it "safe" with the 15mm. Still a world of difference and looks even better than in the pics.

I did create a thread for them on here....

http://www.6mt.net/forum/g37-coupe/31615-wheel-spacer-install-pics.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
thanks... do I follow you on Twitter? what's your Twitter name?

yeah, I put 15mm on front and back.. there are two options - version 1 and version 2.
Version 1 ... the studs are separate... version 2.. they are already connected to the spacer... version 2 is much easier and just as safe... that's what I did.
They do make larger... 20mm and 25mm... I think the 25mm would stick out too far and not look right for a stock wheel like that.
20mm might look a little better than the 15mm.. but I'd be afraid to run into any issues with rubbing.. it might not... but looking at mine closely, i could see it being possible... so i kept it "safe" with the 15mm. Still a world of difference and looks even better than in the pics.

I did create a thread for them on here....

http://www.6mt.net/forum/g37-coupe/31615-wheel-spacer-install-pics.html

No, I just clicked on you Twitter link one of the the posts above ^^^

When you say there are two options, does the first one have just one set of wheel studs? I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly, so I'll try again:

Think of it this way....if you put a 5mm spacer on your hub, then it would just be a spacer that slides over the existing wheel studs. It would work fine because the wheel studs would still be long enough to secure the wheel with the lug nuts. But if you go with a wider spacer like 15, 20, or 25mm, then the wheel studs are not long enough to secure the wheel. So there are only two options at that point.

The first option is what you did....install a spacer that uses the existing wheel studs to bolt on a spacer. And then the spacer has it's own studs to attach the wheel.

The second option is a spacer kit that comes with a spacer that slides over the original wheel studs. But since the original wheel studs are too short to go through the spacer AND secure the wheel, the kit includes LONGER wheel studs that replace the orginals ones. I believe this is the better option because you are only using 5 wheel studs per wheel instead of 10 (5 for the spacer to the hub and 5 for the wheel to the spacer).

Know what I'm saying?

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
No, I just clicked on you Twitter link one of the the posts above ^^^

When you say there are two options, does the first one have just one set of wheel studs? I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly, so I'll try again:

Think of it this way....if you put a 5mm spacer on your hub, then it would just be a spacer that slides over the existing wheel studs. It would work fine because the wheel studs would still be long enough to secure the wheel with the lug nuts. But if you go with a wider spacer like 15, 20, or 25mm, then the wheel studs are not long enough to secure the wheel. So there are only two options at that point.

The first option is what you did....install a spacer that uses the existing wheel studs to bolt on a spacer. And then the spacer has it's own studs to attach the wheel.

The second option is a spacer kit that comes with a spacer that slides over the original wheel studs. But since the original wheel studs are too short to go through the spacer AND secure the wheel, the kit includes LONGER wheel studs that replace the orginals ones. I believe this is the better option because you are only using 5 wheel studs per wheel instead of 10 (5 for the spacer to the hub and 5 for the wheel to the spacer).

Know what I'm saying?
yes, I think I understand what you mean now... what you are talking about is their "version 1" setup... you use longer studs that they supply.
I think when you get to the 25mm size, you HAVE TO do it that way... I think 20mm and below you can get either version.

Wheel Spacers Version I

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a trade off, I guess

I'm trading in my '04 G35 m6 this week for an '09 G37s equivalent. I found the clutch in my first G to be very stiff and hard on my foot and when I test drove the '09, I found the clutch way too light and, well, a bit goofy. But like I did with my first G, I just the love the look and feel of the car too much to care about the clutch...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts