Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Did you ever get fixed up on a blind date and instead of your friend touting the girl's "personality", he told you that she is drop dead gorgeous? And then when you arrived at the restaurant, she looked even better than you anticipated. But then 10 minutes into the evening, you discovered something (or two) that just ruined it. It could have been a nasal whiney voice, or a loud horse-laugh, or something equally grating, and you knew that any kind of long-term relationship just wasn't in the cards. Well, that happened to me years ago, before I was married, and a similar thing happened to me last week with a test car.

A brand new Infiniti G37 Sport Coupe was delivered to my house. I'd seen photos and thought it was beautiful, but the shiny new coupe looked even better in person as I ogled the "arrest-me-red" machine sitting in my driveway. It has a long, low profile with a sharply sloping roofline finished off with a subtle deck spoiler, huge 19-inch aluminum alloy wheels filling the bulging fenders, and a look that says, "I'm ready to rumble."

It was so sexy looking that I grabbed my wallet, jumped in the car, pushed the starter button on the dash, grabbed a handful of leather wrapped gear shift knob, pushed in the clutch, and was ready to take off for a brief sprint around the neighborhood. That's when the love affair ended. The clutch. It's awful. It's the equivalent of a hairy mole on the tip of Julia Robert's angel face.

More: 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, the author of this article talks about the SAME EXACT thing I've been complaining about. He hates the clutch and it's engagement point. So I guess I'm not alone in my opinion...LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting read, I take delivery of "her" new G37s next week and i will keep an eye out for those glitches.

Hope they arent bad, or if so there is an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Imagine if he drove the auto instead of the manual, his review would have been a bit nicer. His main bitch were seats and stick.

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
^^^and the door locks :???:

who the f* bitches about door locks...or cares for that matter.

I bet I've only hit the button inside a half-dozen times, i always just use the key fob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Imagine if he drove the auto instead of the manual, his review would have been a bit nicer. His main bitch were seats and stick.

True, his biggest complaint by far was the clutch engagement point. I think he's exactly right after test driving a G37 last week. It seems that he had the car for about 10 days and still didn't get used to the weird clutch engagement. So I'm glad that I'm not the only one who felt that the clutch is terrible on these cars. I won't buy an automatic, so if I can't find a good way to adjust the clutch engagement, I'll probably end up buying another car. And that sucks because I really like everything else about the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This article made me very nervous to go test-drive a manual G37 under the scrutiny of the dealership. I didn't want to embarrass myself and stall the car. But guys, I don't see what the problem is... I drive a 2005 m3 w/6spd and had no problem at all transitioning into the G and driving it relatively smoothly. It was very different from my car but after about 2 minutes it was all smooth sailing, and I never stalled.

I'm convinced this is something you can get used to. Loved the car by the way. I don't know if I'd trade my M for it, but I was very impressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, just picked up the G yesterday. Its an early build 2008 manual. The quick and dirty is. There are no clutch issues, i picked it right up. And, i havent driven a manual in years. My wife to be also had no problems. For us, the clutch is a non issue. Car drives GREAT!

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
yeah i'm only partially through this article and had to come back and say that this dude writing it is a douchebag... agreed, it's not the BEST clutch.. but umm... if he can't pick it up in the first 5-10 minutes, then he doen't know what the hell he is doing.

i'm afraid to read the rest of the article and see what other dumb shit he says.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
instead of saying this:

Sadly, 10 days later, I hadn’t gotten much more proficient in the first-through third-upshift and downshift routine.
he should have just wrote:

i'm a toolbag that doesn't know how to drive any other clutch different than the one on my 1984 Z28.
give me a break.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
haha thanks.. glad you guys enjoyed.
it's nothing to do with how good or bad the G37 is.. (won't go there with 14) but... just the fact that apparently the dude has no clue to drive and he just told EVERYONE.
SOMEONE had to call him out. haha

·
Super Moderator
27,333 Posts
this is too good not to post on here too

Michael Burke
July 22, 2009 03:18:09

trying to figure out a "nice" way to say this...

But, if you can't figure out that clutch in 5-10 minutes... then you should not be reviewing cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not that I'm defending the authore of the article...because I agree that he should have been able to adjust to the "unfamiliar" clutch, but I do think he has a valid point that the engagement is high and very "narrow". And this is coming from a guy who's driven manual transmission performance cars for nearly 20 years now.

When I test drove the G37, I didn't stall once either. It wasn't a matter of stalling, it was more an issue of having to let the clutch pedal out more than 1/2 way of the clutch pedal travel before it even began to grab. I found it very awkward and very uncomfortable to have my left leg floating in the air before the car even started to move.

The funny thing for me is that my salesman told me that he didn't know how to drive a manual transmission. When we walked to the car, it was parked in a spot that faces downhill. The nose was just a few inches from a high curb. So I had to back it out without rolling forward more than two or three inches or risk scraping the nose on the curb. No problem right? Well, imagine my surprise when I took my foot off the brake, thinking that the car would move backwards because the clutch pedal was about 1/2 way off the floor. I hit the brakes and commented to the salesman that the damn clutch grabs way high....he just looked at me funny because he had no idea what I was talking about. But hey, at least I didn't stall it or rub the nose on the curb! LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad I have an auto tranny. I actually enjoy paddle shifting more than manual shifting. One thing I can agree on is this statement.

"...the shoulder strap to cut uncomfortably across my neck. There was no way to adjust that."

I hate that.

The comments about front seats being too narrow I don't agree. I wonder if he used the switches to decrease the bolstering a bit. I disagree that with the accolades about the Navi. Acura has the best Navi IMO.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
the comment was from me - Michael Burke.... and NOONE should defend him... he's a douche... i drive the car every day and it's EASY AS HELL to drive... give me a break.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the comment was from me - Michael Burke.... and NOONE should defend him... he's a douche... i drive the car every day and it's EASY AS HELL to drive... give me a break.
Well, that's just your opinion. I've only driven the car during a test drive, so I obviously don't have the option of driving the car every day like you, but the high engagement point of the clutch makes it difficult to shift smoothly. Almost every car I've owned in the last 18 years has been manual transmission and none of them have felt as awkward as the G37.

People can say tell me all day that it is something that I'll get used to...and maybe that's true. But I'll never get used to it if it bothers me enough not to buy the car in the first place. I like to get enjoyment out of driving a manual transmission car, especially a sporty car like the G37. If I hate the clutch, then I'll never enjoy driving it.

BTW, I read a bunch of threads over on the G35driver forum where tons of people are complaining about the high clutch engagement. It also seems to be a big issue with the 350Z guys as well. So like I said, it's all about everyone's opinion...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts