post #32 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the750 View Post
gard, how do you carry these guns? for instance, when you take your clients out, do you have 2 guns in holsters on your belt? that might freak me out a bit...
The P32 in a pocket holster and the Kahr or Glock in a fanny bag most of the time. We have many people come to our front door and try to sell stuff, having just a small pistol very handy can be a very good thing sometimes.

Only one time did a client find out I was carrying a pistol, that was when were charged by a loose pit bull. I pulled out a 38 snub nose ready to shoot the dog but was able to scare it away verbally before it attacked me. A good yelling sometimes works against a dog, sometimes not. That client was not upset about the gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti514 View Post
it sounds like gard is pretty paranoid
With over 12 years carrying a badge I have seen enough to make me know crime is anywhere and can happen anytime.

post #34 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Here is my take on this. You have basically two choices to make............a revolver or a self loading semi auto pistol.

If this is your first pistol, I would strongly recommend a revolver. Revolvers do not jam and do not have a safety to worry about (well not exactly true as today's "modern" revolvers have key locks that you can actually lock them out, but you'd never lock the revolver if you are carrying it).

In this train of thought, I would suggest a Smith and Wesson small frame revolver in .357 mag. You can practice with it with a .38 special cartridge and carry with .357 mag. Something like this comes to mind:
Product: Model M&P 340 Revolver - Centennial

No hammers to get caught, very lightweight, you can carry in holster, in waist band, or throw it in your pocket (jacket, pants, whatever), with night sights. I've also seen this slick little replacement grip for the right side grip that allows you to carry without a holster as it has a little nub to clip to your waistband (you don't want to replace the right side grip if you get the model I linked to below). This following model is basically the same as above, but it has a Crimson Trace laser:
Product: Model M&P 340 CT Revolver - Centennial

Yes incredibly unsexy, but it will do in a confrontation. You dump your five shots and get the hell out of Dodge. If you are expecting to stay in a prolonged firefight, you don't want any pistol, you want a rifle.

Now if you really want an autoloader, I would suggest the usual suspects.............Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, Springfield XD. Now keep in mind that once you go to this type of firearm you need to start worrying about problems with failures to feed, failures to eject, jams.........the issues you don't worry about when having a revolver. By the time you are in a confrontation hopefully you have practiced enough with your pistol and with the ammo you will use so that you are OK to fire, cycle, clear the pistol, but high stress situations have a way of making funny things happen.

Personally I'm not a fan of the polymer framed pistols and while I think 1911's are great pistols, I do not want a pistol that has your traditional safety that might get left on in a high stress situation. My belief has been to run a Sig P220 firearm. This pistol uses .45 acp ammunition and is a double-single action pistol. First pull is a long one to make sure you really want to fire and once the action cycles you go to a short trigger pull single action pistol. This is the model I have (I have both the P220 and P220 Elite models).:
Products & Services

This is most definitely not a CCW firearm, but since we basically have no CCW here unless you pay someone off I'd rather have a full sized pistol.

No BS, if I was to CCW in Hawaii (legally), I would do the S&W revolver route. IMHO the CCW is to buy you time to get distance between you and whoever is trying to inflict harm upon you and the pistols I linked to are incredibly concealable. Someone asks you for your keys in a carjacking..........the pistol looks like keys. You reach for your waistband in a very close proximity to someone and they already have their firearm on you and I'm of the opinion you never clear your holster.

Now I'm just laid bad - G35Princess
R.I.P. MBC

post #35 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner View Post
With over 12 years carrying a badge I have seen enough to make me know crime is anywhere and can happen anytime.
Yeah, speaking of crimes you should see the body kit question Archer posted in the coupe section.

Now I'm just laid bad - G35Princess
R.I.P. MBC

post #36 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗƭȱȑ

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZire View Post
. . .No BS, if I was to CCW in Hawaii (legally), I would do the S&W revolver route. IMHO the CCW is to buy you time to get distance between you and whoever is trying to inflict harm upon you and the pistols I linked to are incredibly concealable. Someone asks you for your keys in a carjacking..........the pistol looks like keys. You reach for your waistband in a very close proximity to someone and they already have their firearm on you and I'm of the opinion you never clear your holster.
that's what I got...
post #37 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Over 1,000 Posts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

does everyone carry a gun??? jesus i thought about getting one but shit didnt know everyone else did and is anyone else worried about gils comment ?? lol

2004 Coupe Auto
Tons' o stuff done....

Quote:
04GcoupeAt is by far the best member of this forum

post #38 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗƭȱȑ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GcoupeAT View Post
does everyone carry a gun??? jesus i thought about getting one but shit didnt know everyone else did and is anyone else worried about gils comment ?? lol
post #39 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Phelan

The P220 isn't too big to conceal, just marginally bigger than my Kimber.

One thing to keep in mind, in some states if you do the shooting part of the CCW class with a revolver the only thing you can legally carry is a revolver, but if you do it with a semi-auto you can carry either.
post #40 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 PM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗƭȱȑ

^^^good point about the revolver...for my CC class we shot auto Ruger 22's, they were provided.

Holy crap, some people can't shoot to save there life! I swear they almost missed the paper target at 6 ft! With a 22!
post #41 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GcoupeAT View Post
If you're carrying in such a way that someone knows you're (attempting to) CC, you're doing it wrong.
post #42 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
^^^good point about the revolver...for my CC class we shot auto Ruger 22's, they were provided.

Holy crap, some people can't shoot to save there life! I swear they almost missed the paper target at 6 ft! With a 22!
At least they made it to the range... This one old guy who was part of my class just had to shoot to qualify to renew his license. Despite the group of us going to the range in a caravan of 8 or so cars and him in the middle, he got lost. He finally got to the range as everyone else was finishing up.
post #43 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZire View Post
Something like this comes to mind:
Product: Model M&P 340 Revolver - Centennial
I was thinking about going this route for my first CC and then get a cheap Mossburg 12ga for home protection. Nothing would make me turn tail and run faster than hearing someone chamber a round in a shotgun if i was breaking into a house..
I went to Cabellas tonight and browsed through their gun selection just to see what they have available. I am also about 1/2 and hour away from the Smith & Wesson factory and the rumor is that as long as you have a valid permit you can rent any one of their guns to use on their range (not sure how true that is but worth checking out).
It is really kinda confusing because there are so many different types of pistols out there and some just have minor tweaks between models. I don't want to invest a ton of money into a gun that I don't like or doesn't suit my purpose..
post #44 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post

I was at the range one time qualifying for the Sheriff Office and this lady deputy was hitting the dirt about halfway to the 50 foot target! It made me sick to think she might have to back me up some day!

post #45 of 375 Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardiner View Post
I was at the range one time qualifying for the Sheriff Office and this lady deputy was hitting the dirt about halfway to the 50 foot target! It made me sick to think she might have to back me up some day!
as long as she was backing you up at 25ft or less you should be fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Totally Off Topic