Government Cracking Down on Imported Nissan Skylines - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Government Cracking Down on Imported Nissan Skylines

The federal government, under the jurisdiction of Homeland Security, started investigating the importation of grey-market Nissan Skylines, tracking down their owners and even seizing the cars.

According to import laws, only a select few R33 Skylines from 1996 to 1998 can be legally brought to U.S. shores. The rest came by an importer that failed to import cars with spectacularly disastrous results; the cars weren't DOT-certified, failed to meet crash and emissions standards, and the importer went out of business. As a result, the owners are faced with "contraband" cars.

One such owner has two Skylines, both with extensive paperwork and one that was old enough to be exempt from vehicle importation laws. The other, however, was deemed illegal and was to be seizedóbut when federal agents arrived, the owner had a surprise: "I made it very clear that my intent was to retain ownership for the time being and export the vehicle from the country," he said on a forum post, "and that I had already made arrangements for a sale to be conducted as well as export of the vehicle."

With the sale of his illicit Skyline, the owner now seeks to challenge these convoluted import laws, many of which were changed after the owners imported their cars.

The Skyline community will not be taking this lying down, either, and have already reached out to get the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA) involved. After all, how many people in America own Skylinesóa handful? Enough to fill a Nissan Elgrand or two? Let's hope they aren't a strong enough threat to national stability that would get the Department of Homeland Security involved in their fight against JDM motoring.

More: Government Cracking Down on Imported Nissan Skylines on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)

why are they so against these cars being imported? im glad our tax dollars are hard at work.....

KING PW
post #3 of 15 Old 03-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Over 5,000 Posts

They are just jealous

07 G35 Coupe 6MT (Missed Much)
12 G37 Sedan

post #4 of 15 Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Over 100 Posts

A whole department of haters. Like they really give a damn about the safety of those vehicles. They're probably more pissed because there's some dumb tax or money amount they miss out on when these vehicles are sold "grey market".

What about the Silvias that are stateside? Or the RHD Civics? Or the RHD Aston Martins?

Give me a freakin' break. I think this is a straight assault on the tuner community, considering GT-R's are widely thought to be the ultimate car in the culture.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 PM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗŚƭȱȑ

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

^^^ but were those other cars legally imported?

silvia is a 240 so there should be crash data on it, same goes for the civic. maybe even for the aston.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Over 10,000 Posts

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

A way to explain where funds are disappearing to!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Over 100 Posts

You raise a great point.

I've seen the cars I mentioned, but I can't verify if the ones I've seen were considered legal or not. I'm not talking about race/show cars...It's my understanding you used to be able to import these cars for race/show purposes (how that's proven is beyond me). Something about parting it out overseas and then crating it. Then you rebuild it when it arrives to our shores. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm talking about cruising the block LOL. I know a guy with a true JDM Honda EK sittin' in his backyard as I type this. When I say Silvia, I'm referring to the S15. Sorry

I was also under the impression that JDM models sometimes use different materials in the manufacturing process? I'll look deeper into it, but JDM or Euro crash data has no bearing on the models imported here correct?

Is this because we've never received any GT-Rs before the R35?

Couldn't the car be modified for B.A.R. before they take it from the owners and destroy it? I find it to be a bit of overkill. This is what they do in Southern Cali. =(
post #8 of 15 Old 03-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Phelan

Obama wasn't able to get one, so now he doesn't want anyone to have one.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti514 View Post
why are they so against these cars being imported? im glad our tax dollars are hard at work.....
I can't tell you for certain why someone has a serious hard on for seizing the cars. What I might guess is some people are quite upset that they were [allegedly] lied to and told that the crash data presented to them was applicable for R32, R33, & R34 models of cars when the data was for the R33 only.

Makes you question if the cars were brought up to Fed crash standards and other standards as promised to the Govt and the customers......

Now I'm just laid bad - G35Princess
R.I.P. MBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Blacc View Post
You raise a great point.

I've seen the cars I mentioned, but I can't verify if the ones I've seen were considered legal or not. I'm not talking about race/show cars...It's my understanding you used to be able to import these cars for race/show purposes (how that's proven is beyond me). Something about parting it out overseas and then crating it. Then you rebuild it when it arrives to our shores. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm talking about cruising the block LOL. I know a guy with a true JDM Honda EK sittin' in his backyard as I type this. When I say Silvia, I'm referring to the S15. Sorry

I was also under the impression that JDM models sometimes use different materials in the manufacturing process? I'll look deeper into it, but JDM or Euro crash data has no bearing on the models imported here correct?

Is this because we've never received any GT-Rs before the R35?

Couldn't the car be modified for B.A.R. before they take it from the owners and destroy it? I find it to be a bit of overkill. This is what they do in Southern Cali. =(
You are supposed to declare if the car is to be used on the track, show, and/or street. It's pretty easy to tell if it's being used on the street as it will be registered in one of the states.

Importing the car in parts.......Kaizo. It doesn't matter if it's three large parts or thousands of tiny ones the Fed still views this as a production car being brought into the US and would need to meet Fed standards if it's to be used on the street. The Kaizo cars are probably the ones that's starting the frenzy up again as Motorex has been out of business for years.

Don't know if the other worldwide market cars use different materials. Don't know if that matters. What matters is the cars meet Fed standards for crash safety. Maybe the Euro/JDM data would satisfy the requirements, but it's not Nissan bringing in the cars, it's privateers and private citizens, it's up to them to prove the cars meet crash and other Fed standards.

I'm not sure what being modified for B.A.R. means.

R.I.P. MBC

post #11 of 15 Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Over 1,000 Posts

Clearly, the issue is that the government is afraid that these are not ordinary cars. They are Decepticons.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)

so an imported skyline isn't as crash worthy as a Smart fourtwo?

'06 Autumn Copper FX35, '11 Alpine White Sentra & 2016 Red Hot Camaro 2SS
post #13 of 15 Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗŚƭȱȑ

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

if there isn't a paperwork trail, no.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley View Post
so an imported skyline isn't as crash worthy as a Smart fourtwo?
If it is or is not is irrelevant without crash data. Anywho it's more than just crash data, there are other things that need to be brought in line with Fed standards (not that the average joe would know those are..........).

R.I.P. MBC

post #15 of 15 Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Over 100 Posts

Sorry, been real busy. Don't mean to raise a thread from the dead, but B.A.R. is the "Bureau of Automotive Repair".

Guys that do engine swaps can get their cars "Barred". Say if you throw a Type R motor into your Civic...you can go to the referee, get inspected and tested for emissions, and the car gets a new VIN. You have to have the ECU, cats, sensors, etc. intact from the original vehicle I believe.

People that have "hook-ups" at Smog places used to have SR20's and 1JZ's passed to get the car registered, but BAR will check the smog places for any wrongdoing. Places like that get shut down with the quickness.

If you get lucky enough to get a ticket, you go to the referee, and they'll make you de-tune your cars. There's a dude with a Scion Tc that I know. We installed/uninstalled his turbo like 3 times LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti G35/G37 News & Polls > Infiniti G35/G37 News / Site News