2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe Review - Page 2 - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 39 Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Over 2,500 Posts
 
cmrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Default

overall a good review and some light humor mixed in.

but the comment is the best

06 6MT DG Coupe / Premium / Aero / RAS /JDM Clear Corners / Tint / Clear Bra
cmrz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 39 Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Not that I'm defending the authore of the article...because I agree that he should have been able to adjust to the "unfamiliar" clutch, but I do think he has a valid point that the engagement is high and very "narrow". And this is coming from a guy who's driven manual transmission performance cars for nearly 20 years now.

When I test drove the G37, I didn't stall once either. It wasn't a matter of stalling, it was more an issue of having to let the clutch pedal out more than 1/2 way of the clutch pedal travel before it even began to grab. I found it very awkward and very uncomfortable to have my left leg floating in the air before the car even started to move.

The funny thing for me is that my salesman told me that he didn't know how to drive a manual transmission. When we walked to the car, it was parked in a spot that faces downhill. The nose was just a few inches from a high curb. So I had to back it out without rolling forward more than two or three inches or risk scraping the nose on the curb. No problem right? Well, imagine my surprise when I took my foot off the brake, thinking that the car would move backwards because the clutch pedal was about 1/2 way off the floor. I hit the brakes and commented to the salesman that the damn clutch grabs way high....he just looked at me funny because he had no idea what I was talking about. But hey, at least I didn't stall it or rub the nose on the curb! LOL
Rocketman is offline  
post #18 of 39 Old 07-25-2009, 11:07 AM
0-24 Posts
 
Silver Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Glad I have an auto tranny. I actually enjoy paddle shifting more than manual shifting. One thing I can agree on is this statement.

"...the shoulder strap to cut uncomfortably across my neck. There was no way to adjust that."

I hate that.

The comments about front seats being too narrow I don't agree. I wonder if he used the switches to decrease the bolstering a bit. I disagree that with the accolades about the Navi. Acura has the best Navi IMO.
Silver Surfer is offline  
 
post #19 of 39 Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Over 10,000 Posts
 
msb3079's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Posts: 11,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to msb3079
Default

the comment was from me - Michael Burke.... and NOONE should defend him... he's a douche... i drive the car every day and it's EASY AS HELL to drive... give me a break.

12 370Z Touring Sport 6MT | TEIN H Tech | H&R 25mm
09 370Z Touring Sport 6MT | H&R 25mm
08 G37 Coupe 6MT | TEIN H Tech | Ichiba 15mm
04 G35 Coupe 6MT | TEIN S Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
msb3079 is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 PM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb3079 View Post
the comment was from me - Michael Burke.... and NOONE should defend him... he's a douche... i drive the car every day and it's EASY AS HELL to drive... give me a break.
Well, that's just your opinion. I've only driven the car during a test drive, so I obviously don't have the option of driving the car every day like you, but the high engagement point of the clutch makes it difficult to shift smoothly. Almost every car I've owned in the last 18 years has been manual transmission and none of them have felt as awkward as the G37.

People can say tell me all day that it is something that I'll get used to...and maybe that's true. But I'll never get used to it if it bothers me enough not to buy the car in the first place. I like to get enjoyment out of driving a manual transmission car, especially a sporty car like the G37. If I hate the clutch, then I'll never enjoy driving it.

BTW, I read a bunch of threads over on the G35driver forum where tons of people are complaining about the high clutch engagement. It also seems to be a big issue with the 350Z guys as well. So like I said, it's all about everyone's opinion...
Rocketman is offline  
post #21 of 39 Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Over 10,000 Posts
 
msb3079's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Posts: 11,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to msb3079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Well, that's just your opinion. I've only driven the car during a test drive, so I obviously don't have the option of driving the car every day like you, but the high engagement point of the clutch makes it difficult to shift smoothly. Almost every car I've owned in the last 18 years has been manual transmission and none of them have felt as awkward as the G37.

People can say tell me all day that it is something that I'll get used to...and maybe that's true. But I'll never get used to it if it bothers me enough not to buy the car in the first place. I like to get enjoyment out of driving a manual transmission car, especially a sporty car like the G37. If I hate the clutch, then I'll never enjoy driving it.

BTW, I read a bunch of threads over on the G35driver forum where tons of people are complaining about the high clutch engagement. It also seems to be a big issue with the 350Z guys as well. So like I said, it's all about everyone's opinion...
did you write that article? just curious....

12 370Z Touring Sport 6MT | TEIN H Tech | H&R 25mm
09 370Z Touring Sport 6MT | H&R 25mm
08 G37 Coupe 6MT | TEIN H Tech | Ichiba 15mm
04 G35 Coupe 6MT | TEIN S Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
msb3079 is offline  
post #22 of 39 Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Over 2,500 Posts
 
cmrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Default

+++ 1

06 6MT DG Coupe / Premium / Aero / RAS /JDM Clear Corners / Tint / Clear Bra
cmrz is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb3079 View Post
did you write that article? just curious....
No, I didn't write the article... LOL. I'm just someone who recently joined the forum to find out if there was a way to adjust the clutch because I hated it during my 10-minute test drive. Then I found this thread where someone wrote an article and complained about the same exact thing. A few guys on the forum are bashing the guy for saying that he didn't like the clutch...but I agree with him. That's all.

If you read some of the other G forums and even Z forums, it seems that this is a VERY common complaint. For some strange reason, not many members of this forum seem to be bothered by the high engagement point of the clutch. But I have now read several threads about changing the clutch engagement point on other forums, so there are a lot of people who obviously don't like it either...
Rocketman is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Over 2,500 Posts
 
cmrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Default

I am personally not the biggest fan of the clutch but after driving the car as long as I have, I've learned how to drive it fairly well. ( this was also my first stick shift car ).

I am very smooth with the clutch now although once in a while I will mess up and the car will lurch a bit.

I do have to say that I like the clutch for fast shifting and double clutching. I think it makes it easy.

well just my 2 cents.

06 6MT DG Coupe / Premium / Aero / RAS /JDM Clear Corners / Tint / Clear Bra
cmrz is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Over 10,000 Posts
 
msb3079's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Posts: 11,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to msb3079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
No, I didn't write the article... LOL. I'm just someone who recently joined the forum to find out if there was a way to adjust the clutch because I hated it during my 10-minute test drive. Then I found this thread where someone wrote an article and complained about the same exact thing. A few guys on the forum are bashing the guy for saying that he didn't like the clutch...but I agree with him. That's all.

If you read some of the other G forums and even Z forums, it seems that this is a VERY common complaint. For some strange reason, not many members of this forum seem to be bothered by the high engagement point of the clutch. But I have now read several threads about changing the clutch engagement point on other forums, so there are a lot of people who obviously don't like it either...
I'm not bashing the guy for saying he didn't like the clutch... I'm bashing him because he publicly said after LOTS of use he still couldn't drive it correctly - which means he should not be reviewing cars.
I NEVER said it was the "best" clutch... or a "great" clutch... but i do think it's "decent"... and easier than the '04 G35 clutch.. (which was WAY different).
Anyway.. yeah the clutch might be a little weird and have a high engagement point.. but after a little while -- you quickly adjust to it.. just like you would any other clutch.
Sorry if I was mean toward you before -- just caught up in the moment of bashing a guy that is paid to drive cars that obviously cannot...
But as far as any advice goes.. I mean, I guess I do remember it being a little weird at first.. but def don't remember any major issues.. I'm sure you would adjust quickly.
Not many other members on here are bothered by it because - to be honest, not many other "common posters" own a G37..

12 370Z Touring Sport 6MT | TEIN H Tech | H&R 25mm
09 370Z Touring Sport 6MT | H&R 25mm
08 G37 Coupe 6MT | TEIN H Tech | Ichiba 15mm
04 G35 Coupe 6MT | TEIN S Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
msb3079 is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
ʂȗрϵᴚ ɱȭđěŗåƭȱȑ
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
thatguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 27,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrz View Post
I am personally not the biggest fan of the clutch but after driving the car as long as I have, I've learned how to drive it fairly well. ( this was also my first stick shift car ).

I am very smooth with the clutch now although once in a while I will mess up and the car will lurch a bit.

I do have to say that I like the clutch for fast shifting and double clutching. I think it makes it easy.

well just my 2 cents.
your transmission doesn't have synchros?
thatguy is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Over 2,500 Posts
 
cmrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
your transmission doesn't have synchros?
of course it does but sometimes when you shift fast it makes it easier but mostly i double clutch when downshifting. Downshifting becomes so much smoother that way.

06 6MT DG Coupe / Premium / Aero / RAS /JDM Clear Corners / Tint / Clear Bra
cmrz is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb3079 View Post
I'm not bashing the guy for saying he didn't like the clutch... I'm bashing him because he publicly said after LOTS of use he still couldn't drive it correctly - which means he should not be reviewing cars.
I NEVER said it was the "best" clutch... or a "great" clutch... but i do think it's "decent"... and easier than the '04 G35 clutch.. (which was WAY different).
Anyway.. yeah the clutch might be a little weird and have a high engagement point.. but after a little while -- you quickly adjust to it.. just like you would any other clutch.
Sorry if I was mean toward you before -- just caught up in the moment of bashing a guy that is paid to drive cars that obviously cannot...
But as far as any advice goes.. I mean, I guess I do remember it being a little weird at first.. but def don't remember any major issues.. I'm sure you would adjust quickly.
Not many other members on here are bothered by it because - to be honest, not many other "common posters" own a G37..
Hey, I agree with you... He must be at least a little bit of a spaz not to be able to "learn" the clutch and adapt to it. Like I said earlier, I never stalled the car once. The fact that he stalled the car and then continued to have problems after 10 days of driving the car is a bit strange. Makes me wonder how much experience he has driving a manual trans car.
Rocketman is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrz View Post
I am personally not the biggest fan of the clutch but after driving the car as long as I have, I've learned how to drive it fairly well. ( this was also my first stick shift car ).

I am very smooth with the clutch now although once in a while I will mess up and the car will lurch a bit.

I do have to say that I like the clutch for fast shifting and double clutching. I think it makes it easy.

well just my 2 cents.
Since this was the first manual trans car you've owned, I wouldn't expect you to be bothered by the clutch. I mean, how could you be bothered by it when it's normal to you? On the other hand, I've owned several (about 9 or 10) manual trans cars, ranging from Mustangs to an M3 and although they all felt different, I never felt bothered by their clutch engagement point. If the G37 was my first manual trans car, I'm sure I'd think the clutch was completely normal because I wouldn't know any different.

If you ever get a chance, you should drive a late model Honda Accord or Honda Civic wit a manual transmission. After owning and driving a G, you will be amazed how easy and simple it is to drive the Hondas. It's so easy to drive them buttery smooth because the clutches are so forgiving. But don't get me wrong--the G isn't an economy car and I wouldn't actually want that type of clutch. I just think Nissan/Infiniti should have made the clutch a little more forgiving.
Rocketman is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
0-24 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
your transmission doesn't have synchros?
Double clutching isn't necessary in a trans with synchronizers, but some people still do it because it is fun. I do it once in a while along with rev-matching.

BTW, double clutching also saves wear and tear on the synchros.
Rocketman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti G35/G37 News & Polls > Infiniti G35/G37 News / Site News


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 Infiniti G37x Coupe Review Administrator Infiniti G35/G37 News / Site News 0 06-24-2009 04:54 PM
2009 Infiniti FX35 Administrator Infiniti G35/G37 News / Site News 2 03-11-2009 10:51 AM
2009 Infiniti FX50 Administrator Infiniti G35/G37 News / Site News 0 02-26-2009 05:12 PM
Motorweek - 2009 Infiniti G37x trev0006 G37 Coupe 2 01-22-2009 04:07 PM
LA Times Review (with video): 2009 GTR by Dan Neil gammawolf Nissan GTR Discussion 7 04-21-2008 06:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome