User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Test Pipes or Resonated Race Pipes

Wasssup guys, i was looking for test pipes for my G and came to find out that they rasp around 3200 to 4800 rpms. I havent seen a G or heard one in person with test pipes and wanted to know if anyone here has done that mod to their G35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Over 250 Posts

yeah, buddy had some on his 350, I didn't like the sound at all, you may want to consider hi-flow cats instead, although it'll cost more

04 G35c 6MT Brilliant Silver/VOLK/Hotchkis/GT SPEC/UR/BORLA and a bunch more shit....
post #3 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Send a message via AIM to partyman66

Dizz had them on his car for a while, and from what I gather by his description that he gave me... he didn't like them at all because it was obnoxiously loud. He also said it made his exhaust stink real bad and shoot out tons of smoke, but that may have been from some other exhaust mod that he may have had such as gutted or deleted cats.

-2004.5 6MT G35 Coupe, Diamond Graphite/Graphite, Aero, Premium, Nav, Splash Guards, Aluminum Pedals, Z-Tube and K&N Air Filter, 3/8\" Motordyne Plenum Spacer
-2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Stepside 5-Speed 4X4 with siderails, Tonneau Cover, Bed Liner, and Rain Guards
-1990 Nissan 240SX SE 5-speed with some minor mods

post #4 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 05:34 PM

yea test pipes will make your car annoyingly loud... and it'll make it drone... i've heard the stillen ones, they do sound nice, kinda exotic but just too loud for my taste. I'd look into getting hi-flow cats instead, but if your dead set on test pipes make sure they're resonated or they'll set off you CEL light
post #5 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Over 25,000 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Hexxum001 Send a message via Yahoo to Hexxum001

Labree resonated test pipes mang. Best on the market.

Vortech Supercharged 2006 AB 6MT Coupe
post #6 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 05:38 PM

+1 Labree is the shit. Hex you should see how my plenum turned out... it did a lot to my exhaust sound when reving... sounds different now you need to hear it
post #7 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Over 25,000 Posts

Send a message via AIM to superdude

+2.................................
post #8 of 16 Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Definitely go with resonated test pipes if you have the choice. However keep in mind that if you have any sort of smog regs you will not pass the smog inspection.

Seeing as you are in Cali, you might want to look into some high flow cats, mayve some Crawfords (stay away from RT's).

Now I'm just laid bad - G35Princess
R.I.P. MBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Over 25,000 Posts

^^^Even HFC's are illegal in Cali GZ. Technically, it is against the law to remove your cats or replace them with aftermarket cats. The only time it is permissable (sp?) is if the cats are defective or damaged. Besides that it is illegal to remove stock cats. Imma go with Labree resonated test pipes until smog time and then I will just swap them out.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

ok... you are driving a G!!! not a honda civic. They will make your car sound like civic being driven by a 16 year old kid who does not know anything about car mods and thinks he is cool because he is louder than you.

Get hi flow cats or complete exaust done and you will be happier with both the sound and performance.

Someone I know put pipes on a camry and it is just retarded. His girlfriend has to drive it around and she has been yelling at him to take them off. and yes they are resonated kind. still sounds like crap!
post #11 of 16 Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Over 25,000 Posts

Send a message via AIM to superdude

the test pipes arent bad man
post #12 of 16 Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Over 25,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrz
ok... you are driving a G!!! not a honda civic. They will make your car sound like civic being driven by a 16 year old kid who does not know anything about car mods and thinks he is cool because he is louder than you.

Get hi flow cats or complete exaust done and you will be happier with both the sound and performance.

Someone I know put pipes on a camry and it is just retarded. His girlfriend has to drive it around and she has been yelling at him to take them off. and yes they are resonated kind. still sounds like crap!
Have you ever heard what a G with the Labree resonated test pipes sounds like??? I bet you haven't. That shit sounds mean as hell not like a freakin fart can on a Civic. The exhaust an a G bottlenecks at the cats so in order to free up that restriction, you either need to go with test pipes or HFC's. I've read way too many times about cats going bad to want to pay $$$ and take that chance. I'd rather just go straight to the test pipes. Labree test pipes are the shit and I have never heard anyone complain about them.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I will admit that I have never heard / seen them on the G. talking only from my experience seeing / hearing them on other cars.

so - what ever floats your boat then - I personally like the sound of my G as is and do not want it to be louder. I know I will have to do exaust work eventually - but I am not messing with it while it is under warranty - my primary goal is to pay it off and then I can worry about engine mods.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-08-2006, 04:14 PM

there is a law out there that protects modding your car in case you were not informed. This law basically states the dealer cant void you engine warranty for a mod. For example if you do choose to do an exhaust and you intake plenum cracks, they still have to replace the plenum because the exhaust has nothing to do with the intake plenum. If your cats get damaged then yes they do not have to replace them for free... they can say its attributed to the exhaust system, but something like that doesnt simply happen.

Second off test pipes sound great on a G. What you said explains it all... Honda's and 4cyl. engines sound like shit with test pipes (rice) also because they have low displacements, 1.4, 1.6L. Test pipes on a 3.5L V6 will sound quite nice, because it is a larger engine and V6 rather then an inline all attribute to exhaust sound.

Also most nice exhaust systems out there are not much louder then stock when normally driving, they only open up and roar when you get on the throttle... wait till you mod something and once the mod bug bites, your fucked... u'll just be like the rest of us looking to see what the next thing you can do is.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

Send a message via AIM to partyman66

Does anyone have or know of a place that has sound samples of a G with the resonated test pipes on it?

I've heard every exhaust clip that was listed on that site for Z/G exhauts(I think there were like 30 on there) but none of them were of a car with test pipes of any sort.

I heard a G in person when I was in Cali last year that had test pipes on it... but I'm not sure what ones he had. His car sounded like total shit, but he may have had the non-resonated ones on it.

I would like my car to be louder personally... but not sound ricey, choppy or like crap. I'm thinking that test pipes are probably illegal here in Mass though. Unfortunately, Massachusetts is probably the strictest state for emissions and car mods(it's at least on par with Cali, if not stricter)... so I'm hesitant to do anything too crazy on my G out of fear that I won't be able to pass inspection.

-2004.5 6MT G35 Coupe, Diamond Graphite/Graphite, Aero, Premium, Nav, Splash Guards, Aluminum Pedals, Z-Tube and K&N Air Filter, 3/8\" Motordyne Plenum Spacer
-2001 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Stepside 5-Speed 4X4 with siderails, Tonneau Cover, Bed Liner, and Rain Guards
-1990 Nissan 240SX SE 5-speed with some minor mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe