LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 07-20-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Class Action Suit by Z owners

Hey fellas,
My friend just got this link from another g forum. This has nothing to do with our cars right? ... I just got mine!

http://wcbs.dayport.com/viewer/viewe...Category_ID=48

Sorry, URL incomplete the first time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-20-2005, 11:55 PM

80 million I wouldn't give this story too much weight. Do the math on the above figure mentioned using $1,000 per cost as quoted and see how many Z's were sold from in 93-94 to make this possible.

Hey, a car is a car. At least Nissan says they will be fixing the problem.
post #3 of 36 Old 07-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Over 2,500 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Phelan

So the guy has owned 2 other Zs and still hasn't gotten the clue it's a sports car and will have tire wear faster than a Civic? Give the man a bus pass and the car to someone who realizes it's not a grocery hauler.

post #4 of 36 Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Glad I don't have this problem.
post #5 of 36 Old 07-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Hmmm, I hope this isn't indicative of what I can expect from the 6MT coupe that I just bought two nights ago. The BMW I traded in had a similar problem - After 8000 miles or so, the tires would get really noisy and the handling would get "twitchy". The shop confirmed that the tires were cupping or feathering, but they could never solve the problem even after multiple alignments. I had three sets of tires on the car in the three and a half years that I owned it, and I'm not that hard of a driver. It was one of the reasons that I decided to get rid of the car (that and it being an automatic). I hope I didn't just buy the same problem all over again! I don't expect 30,000 miles out of summer performance tires, but I would like to get at least half of that out of them without them turning into a noise factory.

At the same time, I guess you have to just deal with this kind of stuff given how sport-oriented cars are setup these days. To get the cars to really stick in turns, they dial in alot of negative camber. In the long-run, this can pay a toll on the tires.

I guess we'll see.
post #6 of 36 Old 07-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Good post cobra7.

At last a new owner who understands some of the issues. A lot of people come up from a totally different car and expect the maximum performance tires to act like their $70 all seasons (for price and wear).

From what I understand the Z's suspension is more aggressive than we have on our cars. This helps to explain why the G's don't see the problem to the extent that the Z's do. Another problem is that the stock suspension setup doesn't allow for enough adjustment to solve the problem (weight of the cars doesn't help out too much either).

It's pay to play at the higher levels of performance.

Now I'm just laid bad - G35Princess
R.I.P. MBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 Old 07-22-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZire
From what I understand the Z's suspension is more aggressive than we have on our cars.
Does that include G35's with the sport-tuned suspension, like the 6MT cars, GZire?
post #8 of 36 Old 07-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

The 03/04 6mt coupes and the G's in general never had the issues to the extent that the Z guys do with the tire feathering and cupping.

I don't know about the 05 G's, but if I was to guess I'd say you are no worse off than the 03/04 coupes.

This issue has been around since day 1 for the Z's and I don't think Nissan would have made the same mistake on the 05 coupes (sport tuned suspension or not) after two years of field data from consummers.

Now I'm just laid bad - G35Princess
R.I.P. MBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-22-2005, 12:19 AM

That's the kind of answer I was looking for! Thanks.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 06:03 AM

hi all, new to the forums.

unfortunately, my 05 exhibits this problem and i've read on other forums of many other owners having the same issue like the owner of the Z.

i've got 10k miles and the tires are so damn loud it's actually not fun to drive sometimes. the fronts are uneven, cupping and excessive wearing on the outside/inside of the tires. the noise is cleary apparent around 20mph. it sounds like roaring rapids in the car. however the car doesn't pull in any direction. going to the dealer to see if the alignment is all messed up or not. be nice if i could get new set of tires from infiniti but i doubt it.

want to know if any others out there have this problem with their G. kinda sucks.
post #11 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 08:37 AM

Our Michelins got loud around 10k and stayed that way until we replaced them at 30k. This time I put on Bridgestone Potenza S03 Pole Positions. I like them so far, but we will see about the noise.

The dealer had to struggle to find 4 of the Bridgestones, because that is apparently what they put on the 350Z now.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 11:16 AM

As I said, I had this problem with my BMW 325i with sport suspension. I started out with the Continental ContiSport Contacts that are stock on the car. They got really noisy at around 7K miles and stayed that way until I couldn't take it anymore and replaced them with a set of Kuhmo ECSTA MXs. Those to got noisy at around 8K miles. I then got a set of Yokohama dB2 all-season high-performance tires for it. They were by far the best tires I had on the car and maybe the best tires I've ever owned. They stayed quiet for around 20000 miles. They had just started to get a little noisy when I traded the car in for my G coupe.

I'm gonna be really pissed if this G Coupe has the same type of tire wear characteristic as that bimmer had.
post #13 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 02:32 PM

erret,

did you purchase new tires or got infiniti to?
post #14 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 03:56 PM

We bought them. The dealer wanted to sell us more Michelins and I said no. I then went and researched what was out there. Came down to the Bridgestone or Continental and I have never had Continentals before, so I went with the Bridgestones.
post #15 of 36 Old 08-07-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan
So the guy has owned 2 other Zs and still hasn't gotten the clue it's a sports car and will have tire wear faster than a Civic? Give the man a bus pass and the car to someone who realizes it's not a grocery hauler.
don't come crying when the same thing happens to you. maybe a class action law suit is going too far, but its typical in america. you paid at least $30,000 for your car, don't you think the tires should last you longer than 10,000 miles? I don't think the sti and the evo are having the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > G35 Coupe