LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-17-2003, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
25-99 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Odometer reading

In regards to my new G35 6 MT Briliant silver. I just picked mine last Friday. Sweet car and all - one thing however has cought my attention and made me really concerned. When I picked up the car it had 75 miles on the odommeter. It looked and sounded brand new but still 75 MILES on it. Is it normal to get a brand new car with that kind of mileage or some dude at the dealer just drove it and maybe even worse beat the s@#t out of it( I hope not ). I remember when I picked my wife's new 01 Pathfinder it only had 6 miles on it. What's even more strange is that invoice stated that odometer was reading only 3 miles. In all the excitment and anticipation i didn't pay attention to it until next couple of days. What were your experiences? Please let me know ?

SPOKO[banghead]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Over 5,000 Posts
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to kloh

I think new car mileage tends to vary a lot. Mine had only 8 miles on it, but I also got it when they were all being sold before they hit the lot. The G is a very popular car, so I would assume the 75 miles came from test drives. If I'm not mistaken, dealerships SHOULD have a cap (as far as test drive miles are concerned) that they let their cars get to before they can no longer sell it as a "new" car, but I don't know this for a fact. It's also possible that if your dealership is not the most "honest" dealership out there, they very well could have sold you a used car as new. Perhaps someone who bought it then realized they couldn't afford the payments or found something they liked better and sold the car back. Of course, all of this is just speculation. I encourage you to do some digging about your car and dealership. I think car fax can give you info on your VIN number to see if you are the first owner or not.

Good luck.

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">
post #3 of 17 Old 10-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

I don't think a dealer should have allowed test drives in that car at all. Several dealerships I've talked to keep one car as the test drive car, then sell it as new. Then they can allow people to drive as hard as they want without putting miles on cars that people are going to buy as new.

For example, when I testdrove the RX-8, the mazda dealership had one parked in the handicapped spot by the door that was only for test drives. Volvo wouldn't even let me drive a manual S60 because all the test drive cars were auto. It sucked for me, but I respect their refusal to allow me to drive a car they were going to sell as new.

Edit: maybe they had to deliver that car from another city?

2003.5 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures

post #4 of 17 Old 10-17-2003, 02:15 PM
Over 5,000 Posts
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to kloh

My dealer had told me that once a car reaches a certain number of miles (he didn't say how many), it gets moved into the showroom so no one else drives it. Obviously, it's harder to sell a car as "new" when it has more miles on it. I just can't imagine that any dealer would think 75 is not a lot of miles.

<font size="1">2003 G35C | 5AT | DG + Willow Leather | Nav | Premium | Performance</font id="size1">
post #5 of 17 Old 10-17-2003, 02:50 PM
VQ
Administrator

I'm sure it's from test drives. Considering most test drives are under 5 miles, that's quite a few! My car had 6 miles on it, and most of those were from the dealer driving it back and forth to their garage 3 times!

The ODO statement said 3 miles, isn't that illegal?!?!?! They had you sign a fraudulent statement since that's not true.

You never know how it's going to end up. Not as bad as buying a demo, but with at least a dozen test drives you never know!

2003 G35 Coupe | 6-speed | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Sirius
post #6 of 17 Old 10-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Over 2,500 Posts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by VQ
The ODO statement said 3 miles, isn't that illegal?!?!?! They had you sign a fraudulent statement since that's not true.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not if you sign it. When you sign the milage statement, you're acknowledging that the information on it is correct. If they have the wrong number and you still sign it, you're forfeiting the ability to blame them for something that results from that number.

It basically comes down to proof; if there's a dispute, they can prove the milage is what they say it was (even if it wasn't) because they have your signature.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT | Sport/Aero/Premium | Desert Platinum/Willow | Fuzzy dice | Pictures
post #7 of 17 Old 10-18-2003, 10:39 AM
25-99 Posts

Spoko, did you order this car? or did you buy it off the lot same day. If you did buy it off the lot, then you could have been sold a car used for test driving. The number of miles on the dash suggests you should have gotten a reduced price deal. (maybe you did). IF this vehicle was ordered, there is no way the miles should be this much. The car was already bought and its just waiting for you to come in and claim it. Sounds like you may have been hoodwinked....If you signed the deed confirming the miles, I am not sure what you can do to redeem funds. Depends on the integrity of your dealer. Just my 2 cents worth.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-18-2003, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
25-99 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Yeah. I guess it's too late now. I already signed it and all, but I was just so excited to finally drive it that nothing could stand between me and the G35. I ordered the car and it doesn't look like it was driven before even for a testdrive. Dealer has another G35 5 AT that he uses for test drives, which i didn't even drive, because friend of mine happened to own G35 6 MT - so he let me take it for a spin. I did call another dealer however and he said that it is acceptable to get the car with this kind of mileage. What he explained to me is this. Dealers do the follwing practice - If they don't have the car with certain options or colors you want in their inventory, they call other dealers in the area and SWAP the cars. Let's say I want Silver G35 Coupe 6 MT and my dealer in New York doesn't have it. He calls a dealer in New Jersey, who happens to have a client ordering red G35 5 AT and also doesn't have it, but has a Silver G35 6 MT. My dealer will send a driver in red G35 5 AT and SWAP it for a silver G35 6 MT and take it back to NY. That explains that mysteriuos 75 miles on the car which is still considered brand NEW and is sold as new car. I guess that's reasonable right ?? Let me know what you guys think about this ?

Thanx SPOKO

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by talawala

Spoko, did you order this car? or did you buy it off the lot same day. If you did buy it off the lot, then you could have been sold a car used for test driving. The number of miles on the dash suggests you should have gotten a reduced price deal. (maybe you did). IF this vehicle was ordered, there is no way the miles should be this much. The car was already bought and its just waiting for you to come in and claim it. Sounds like you may have been hoodwinked....If you signed the deed confirming the miles, I am not sure what you can do to redeem funds. Depends on the integrity of your dealer. Just my 2 cents worth.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-18-2003, 04:37 PM
25-99 Posts

Oh man, those 75 miles are most probably test drives. Hopefully the dealer told the people testing it to go easy. I know when I was test driving a G before I got mine, on the second test drive it was a car that was on the lot and the dealer told me before hand to not do any hard accelerations or beat on it.

Luckily my car had 9 miles, 4 of which were bringing the car from the storage lot and I came with the salesguy. The car was just off the boat and had all of the white covering and plastic on the seats so I knew the car was a FOB.

Anyways, good luck and hopefully there will be no problems.

| 2004 G35 Sedan 6MT | DG/Willow | Premium | Nav |
post #10 of 17 Old 10-18-2003, 07:19 PM
25-99 Posts

Spoko, i guess there is not much you can do at this point. Just enjoy the ride. I know for a fact that your vehicle being ordered should have been delivered to you with little to no miles. Reason being if it was ordered, why would the vehicle arrive with missing parts to where dealers have to call each other to verify and do a last minute swap. Nevertheless ace, if it runs and there are no issues; then go for it buddy...great investment, enjoy your new ride...
post #11 of 17 Old 11-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Over 100 Posts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by talawala

Spoko, i guess there is not much you can do at this point. Just enjoy the ride. I know for a fact that your vehicle being ordered should have been delivered to you with little to no miles. Reason being if it was ordered, why would the vehicle arrive with missing parts to where dealers have to call each other to verify and do a last minute swap. Nevertheless ace, if it runs and there are no issues; then go for it buddy...great investment, enjoy your new ride...

May be true. However, depending on what state you are in, some states have statutes that once there are a certain number of miles on a car it can no longer be sold as new (some as few as 50 miles). Other thank make a big stink, I'm not sure how you could use this, should it apply to you, but I'm sure you can think of something creative.

Jarrett
Dessert Platinum
Fully Loaded Automatic
post #12 of 17 Old 11-25-2003, 12:13 AM
Over 2,500 Posts

Send a message via AIM to sav505

Mine came with 7 miles on it, but my dad had to take a drive in it while I was on my way up to Grubbs. He 10 miles on it, and sait that he drove it pretty hard. It's cool though, he paid for it. []

| G35 Coupe | 5at | Obsidian Black | Graphite | Premium | Performance | Pictures |
post #13 of 17 Old 11-25-2003, 01:13 AM
Over 1,000 Posts

Send a message via AIM to bizz

75 miles seems like a lot i bought my car with 11 on it!

<font face="Verdana"><center>2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan | Brilliant Silver - Graphite Leather - Premium Package - Winter Package - Auto
350z intake tube - stillen cai - clear corners - skyline pedals - diomand subs
View my car at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/440604/</center></font id="Verdana">
post #14 of 17 Old 05-20-2004, 03:30 AM
Over 100 Posts

For example...if the dealership you went to didnt have the G35 with the options or color you want....they call other dealerships closest to them and find the one you want...when they find it..they have to trade a car with them...so one driver brings the car (with the options you want) and takes one from them. Maybe thats why you have 75 miles....brand new cars that havent been test driven at the dealership usually have around 4 or 5 miles as far as i know...
Some dealerships are nice enough to ship it in a truck [angel]

2004 Ivory Pearl 5AT Sedan, Factory Sport Tuned Suspension with 5 spoke 17s
post #15 of 17 Old 05-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Over 250 Posts

Mine was a "locate", not an order, but it did come in to the dealership right off the boat with 3(!!!) miles on the clicker. Where I test drove the coupe (actually, I test drove it three times there), they had a used 2003 coupe they were using for all coupe test drives - if you wanted to test drive a sedan, they let you drive the one you were looking at - I guess they were less worried about prospects trashing/overrevving a sedan than they were a coupe.

For the record, I never had a salesman tell me to back off. Quite the contrary, when I drove the G coupe the salesman told me to get into it and put the hammer into it on several occasions - I had it up to about 130 or so on my second test drive.

When I test drove the RX-8, same thing - the salesman encouraged me to give it the goose through some very tight switchbacks - great fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Infiniti Discussion > Upcoming Infiniti Model Info