nothing like a good fire to get you talkin' to your neighbors in L.A. [pics] - 6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool nothing like a good fire to get you talkin' to your neighbors in L.A. [pics]

So I was back in L.A. on Tuesday so I could get our move to San Diego started. We've already submitted our 30 days notice and I'm packin some stuff when I see this out of my back patio. I live in Atwater Village right across the bridge from Griffith Park:

(btw, these are all my pics from my own 5megapixel camera)

It's around 1:30 pm. It's terribly hot in L.A. but from we can gather and what the news tells us, things seem to be under control so i don't stress about it . . .

So around 3:30 i had to run some errands in Silverlake so I was crossing the Hyperion bridge, which crosses the L.A. river and 5 freeway from Glendale Blvd to Hyperion blvd.

When I look north, this is what I see . . .

The winds had shifted, and instead of just going north down the slope, the winds changed direction and blew south . . .

"The Road is better than the end." -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gammawolf - Made in America with Mexican Parts.

Last edited by gammawolf; 05-10-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

(Thread Starter)

I got home around 6pm or so, and my wife and my sister-in-law were glued to the t.v. set watching the live broadcast. The first thing my wife said to me is that we have to pack all our valuables now and get them in the car ASAP!

ahhh my wife. I love her to death, but she does worry a lot. She always worries about the worst case scenario for the worst case scenario. It's hard to reason with her, so I play along and start packing what's important to us into our cars.

What does she get?

a. 2 boxes of pictures
b. 2 boxes of letters/cards
c. 2 more boxes of other nostalgic memorabilia
d. essential clothes, paperwork, make-up, personables, etc etc
e. ALL of the above.

she got all of the above.

what did I get?

a. 1 box of momentos
b. 4 gun pistol briefcase containing 4 pistols plus 1 shotgun case containing 1 shotgun
c. 500 rounds of .45 ammo, 1000 rounds of .40 ammo, 700 rounds of 9mm ammo, 100 rounds of 00buck + cleaning kits, all other accessories, holsters
d. passport, SS# card, laptop, real estate books
e. All of the above

yup, we were made for each other

Here was our plan: to pack all our SUVs with this stuff so that if we had to evacuate, we could split without worrying about packing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gammawolf; 05-10-2007 at 03:08 AM.
post #3 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

(Thread Starter)

However, when we finally loaded everything up, we got hungry and went outside. That's when her worry turned into panic . . .

This is from the catwalk connecting two buildings of our apartment complex.

Then we walked to the cul de sac in front of our apartment building and we saw this . . .

post #4 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Okay, now my sister-in-law and myself were in damage control trying to tell my wife that the fire wasn't going to jump the freeway and the *L.A. River

*(the river is not like a real river, unless it's been raining for a long time, see attached pic)

no matter, the electricity had shut off in the Los Feliz neighborhood right across from us at the base of Griffith Park. she then said, "what happens if the power goes out in our building and we won't be able to get out because of the electronic gates?"

hmmm, good point

so then we decided to move our cars to the side streets just in case we did have to evacuate hey, it made my wife happy okay.

so we drove to Glendale blvd because I told them we could gauge the fire better if we see it from that angle. this is what we saw:

this is the fire from one local gas station off of Los Feliz and Brunswick.

fuck!!! the winds had changed again and now the fire spread southwest to the Griffith Observatory. we saw this one crazy thing - a ball of fire began to twist and then it got bigger like a tornado. everyone on that street saw it! what a sight, it looked like a small tornado of fire right on that mountain crest!

by then I had called my parents and told them to stand by. They live in South Hollywood/Mid-Wilshire area and they have an extra room to put us in if anything were to happen.

But in all honesty, I really thought it would have to be a real bad day for the fire to jump a freeway and a big concrete basin that has a small stream running through it (that just happens to be called our L.A. River).

I assured her of this, she saw the stream, we went to get something to eat. We returned in her car with all the stuff and asked if there was a manual override with the gates - there was - we watched the news till about 11:30pm and then we went to bed. It still smelled like burnt something.

post #5 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

(Thread Starter)

So I took a pic from my patio this morning and this what the hill looks like . . .

I didn't have time to go back to the Hyperion bridge to take more pics of the hill, but I can tell you . . . the park looked terrible burnt to a crisp on the whole south side.

Fortunately, no one was injured, and no homes were lost. Yaay 1,000,000 thank yous go to the LAFD and their tenacity. They never stopped. The helicopters above us never stopped flying. I remember waking up around 4am to check on the fire and I still heard them. I heard them when I woke up about 8am too. Mad respect to them!!!

They still don't know what caused the fire, the had a suspect and then let him go

post #6 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Over 10,000 Posts

(Thread Starter)

Here's a great article about the fire via the L.A. Times. This link contains a lot more pictures and graphics.

Precision nighttime flying was crucial to halting fire - Los Angeles Times

Much love to the LAFD, those brave helicopter pilots, and even the LAPD. This fire could of been much much worse considering how the winds blew in so many different directions.

post #7 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Over 10,000 Posts

Send a message via AIM to uhohNumber2brb

and here i was, bitching about the humidity in philly.....

E-A-G-L-E-S
post #8 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Over 10,000 Posts

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

... i'm happy no one was injured!!

post #9 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Over 25,000 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Hexxum001 Send a message via Yahoo to Hexxum001

Wow gamma, those are some crazy pix. From my house in Hollywood, we could see the smoke but had no idea it was that bad. Glad you guys made it through okay. You should go to the Stillen event this Saturday and treat your G to something to make up for a rough day.

Vortech Supercharged 2006 AB 6MT Coupe
post #10 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Over 2,500 Posts
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to beanie

glad to hear everything is okay

lol @ your lists. you'd be wearing the same clothes for while
post #11 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Over 10,000 Posts

damn dude, that's crazy. sounds like something out of the rapture. funny thing that there were fires here in miami as well, but not that close to where i live.

|
|
post #12 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammawolf View Post
...........c. 500 rounds of .45 ammo, 1000 rounds of .40 ammo, 700 rounds of 9mm ammo, 100 rounds of 00buck + cleaning kits, all other accessories, holsters................
WTF you doing with so much ammo. Really, WTF?

Now I'm just laid bad - G35Princess
R.I.P. MBC

post #13 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Over 10,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZire View Post
WTF you doing with so much ammo. Really, WTF?

maybe gamma is one of those coyotes that travel to the mexican border and drive a truck-full of illegals into the promised land.

|
|
post #14 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Over 25,000 Posts

Send a message via MSN to Hexxum001 Send a message via Yahoo to Hexxum001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeG305 View Post
maybe gamma is one of those coyotes that travel to the mexican border and drive a truck-full of illegals into the promised land.
Baahahahahaaa!!! You read my mind smoke. That's what I was thinking too. After all, he has been making quite a few trips back and forth between L.A. and SD.

Vortech Supercharged 2006 AB 6MT Coupe
post #15 of 73 Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Over 10,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexxum001 View Post
Baahahahahaaa!!! You read my mind smoke. That's what I was thinking too. After all, he has been making quite a few trips back and forth between L.A. and SD.

bahahaahaaa are you serious man?? that's too fooking funny

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

6MT.net Infiniti G35/G37/GTR Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Totally Off Topic