Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

What coilover setup gives the best ride for a G35

39K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  GReddySetGO 
#1 ·
whats up! bout to hook up the G n all but i also wanted to know what coilover system gives the best ride for an 04 coupe, i heard JIC and Tien were good, but i'm sure there are more systems out there??
:confused: :confused: :confused:

#6 ·
I think the Tanabe and FLEX's will be a more track oriented coilover. It probably wouldn't be as comfortable for a daily driver. By your thread topic "best ride" I didn't really see that as what you were looking for.

What is your car going to be used for mostly (daily, show, drag, circuit, etc)?? I think that's the first question you need to ask yourself before choosing a coilover system.

#7 ·
GReddySetGO said:
I think the Tanabe and FLEX's will be a more track oriented coilover. It probably wouldn't be as comfortable for a daily driver. By your thread topic "best ride" I didn't really see that as what you were looking for.

What is your car going to be used for mostly (daily, show, drag, circuit, etc)?? I think that's the first question you need to ask yourself before choosing a coilover system.
its gonna be a daily grind, i also heard about the kits from eibach and the hyper max from hks, honestly when it comes to nissans im a noob, especially comming from the toyota side of the market...

#9 ·
SKRich78 said:
its gonna be a daily grind, i also heard about the kits from eibach and the hyper max from hks, honestly when it comes to nissans im a noob, especially comming from the toyota side of the market...
Cool, I'm a Toyota guy myself. Still have my Toyota as my track car though :)

Anyhow, for the daily grind, will you ever see any track use? If so, what kind, drag, autox or road coarse? Also how often do you think you'll hit the track, if ever. Is comfort important to you?

Its really going to boil down to what you want in a coilover, and how much you want to spend. Tein IMO is probably anyones best bet since they offer many diffrent types of coilover systems. They have diffrent models to accomidate those who track every weekend, but still daily drive their cars, to those who will never track and just want an adjustable suspension for show or personal reasons.

My favorite part about Tein is their dampers are rebuildable state-side. This means its cheaper to get them down, and A LOT easier. Shipping for a set of dampers within the US is $50~60. And if you're in SoCal, you don't even need to worry about that. I've had a customer with A'PEX-i coilvoers that needed to be overhauled. He spent about $600 in shipping alone, the cost of the rebuild on top of that, and had to wait like 6-8mo. Then you have to decide is it worth all that trouble, or would you rather just buy another set of coilovers?

If your main use for your car is daily driving and will see little to no track use. Then I would just go with Tein BASIC. It will give you a bearable ride, a tad stiffer than stock. It allows you to adjust the height of the car, but not the stiffness as that is fixed. But IMO, still a very comfortable ride for the daily grind, but still improved performance/handling over stock. Best part of this system is its really affordable. I would recommend this for someone on a budget or someone who will see little to no track use.

The next system is Tein CS, which is going to be replaced with Tein Comfort Spec. Both of which are not available at this current time in the US. This model was designed for someone who will also see little to no track use, but demands comfort. This model is both height and damping force adjustable. On the softer setting the car will ride extremely smooth, even moreso than stock. The spring rates are very soft and the damper valving is very conservative. On its stiffer settings, it get stiffer, but just will not provide the demands for a track car. If you plan to track maybe once or twice a year, but want supreme comfort daily, then this model would suite you best.

Another system is Tein FLEX. This model is very stiff and bumpy. It is both height and damping force adjustable aswell. It is not comfortable for the average person for the daily drive. It is however a very good track coilover. It will provide you with the stiffness and response for the beginner to early intermediate track driver. This I would not recommend for someone who drives their car daily, unless you really don't care about having a STIFF ride. If you have never driven in a car with a very stiff suspension, then this is probably not for you. This will chatter your teeth, spill open cans of soda, etc.

Tein is also going to be releasing their SUPER DRIFT damper. Who knows when. This model is extremely stiff, even stiffer than the FLEX in the front, though a tad softer in the rear. It is both height and damping force adjustable. This model I would not want to drive around the street if at all possible. Its going to be very uncomforatable but will be amazing at the track.

Another posative note about Tein is their EDFC. This is a controller than you can mount on the inside of your car, and adjust the damping force(stiffness) of the ride from inside the car. This is especially beneficial to us, the G35/350Z drivers. Because our rear struts do not have a top mount exposed in the trunk like most cars do. The strut tops are enclosed. This means to change the stiffness of your damper, you must have it removed, set and reinstalled. However if you use the EDFC, you can adjust it from inside the cabin without removing anything.

There are many other brands of coilovers out there aswell. Just keep in mind for the following coilovers, you cannot adjust the rears when they are in the car. And you cannot have them rebuilt in the USA.

Megan Racing would probably be my recommendation for the driver on a budget, but still wants to track their car once in a while. This coilover can be had for a little bit more than the price of Tein BASIC, but will give you much more adjustability. It is 32-way adjustable, but for the most part is a pretty soft, street oriented coilover. Though on its stiffest setting would provide good performance on the track, it is not a dedicated track coilover.

HKS makes 2 models of coilover for the G35/350Z. RS and LS+ Both of these are probably similar to a combination of all the Tein models wrapped into one. They will both ride stiffer than CS, but softer than BASIC/FLEX/SDF. The comfort level is great for a daily driver, yet on its stiffer settings would provide good track performance. They are in the same price range as CS/FLEX. So IMO these would give a more comfortable ride than FLEX, but probably not as good track performance either. LS+ would be a little more track oriented, in comparison to the RS, but still a comfortable ride.

JIC is usually known to be more of a track coilover. Their website is currently down, so I don't know off the top of my head which models they have availible for us, so I cannot comment on them specifically. But in terms of generalizations, JIC is usually a TAD more expensive than Tein, probably better at the track, but less comfortable for the street.

And finally there is Tanabe Pro-Seven. This is for those where money is no object. These are the most expensive coilovers of the bunch. They are strictly track oriented, with even a super stiff version for those dedicated track drivers. They also have a TEAS controller which can adjust the damping force automatically in relation to speed. This coilover is another one besides Tein that can be adjust remotely if you purchase that extra controller.

So yeah... what is your budgest, and what kind of track use will you be doing? What aspects of these are most important to you?

#10 ·
wow?!

haha thanks for all that info bro! if the car sees the track at all it would more than likely be set up for drift, but i highly doubt that for a while..lol, imma read up on the tread and i might actually have to print it out and read it when im takin a crap since its pretty long haha...but like i said thanks for the help..i will post a new tread when i get the all the mods on...

#11 ·
GReddySetGO said:

Anyhow, for the daily grind, will you ever see any track use? If so, what kind, drag, autox or road coarse? Also how often do you think you'll hit the track, if ever. Is comfort important to you?

Its really going to boil down to what you want in a coilover, and how much you want to spend. Tein IMO is probably anyones best bet since they offer many diffrent types of coilover systems. They have diffrent models to accomidate those who track every weekend, but still daily drive their cars, to those who will never track and just want an adjustable suspension for show or personal reasons.

My favorite part about Tein is their dampers are rebuildable state-side. This means its cheaper to get them down, and A LOT easier. Shipping for a set of dampers within the US is $50~60. And if you're in SoCal, you don't even need to worry about that. I've had a customer with A'PEX-i coilvoers that needed to be overhauled. He spent about $600 in shipping alone, the cost of the rebuild on top of that, and had to wait like 6-8mo. Then you have to decide is it worth all that trouble, or would you rather just buy another set of coilovers?

If your main use for your car is daily driving and will see little to no track use. Then I would just go with Tein BASIC. It will give you a bearable ride, a tad stiffer than stock. It allows you to adjust the height of the car, but not the stiffness as that is fixed. But IMO, still a very comfortable ride for the daily grind, but still improved performance/handling over stock. Best part of this system is its really affordable. I would recommend this for someone on a budget or someone who will see little to no track use.

The next system is Tein CS, which is going to be replaced with Tein Comfort Spec. Both of which are not available at this current time in the US. This model was designed for someone who will also see little to no track use, but demands comfort. This model is both height and damping force adjustable. On the softer setting the car will ride extremely smooth, even moreso than stock. The spring rates are very soft and the damper valving is very conservative. On its stiffer settings, it get stiffer, but just will not provide the demands for a track car. If you plan to track maybe once or twice a year, but want supreme comfort daily, then this model would suite you best.

Another system is Tein FLEX. This model is very stiff and bumpy. It is both height and damping force adjustable aswell. It is not comfortable for the average person for the daily drive. It is however a very good track coilover. It will provide you with the stiffness and response for the beginner to early intermediate track driver. This I would not recommend for someone who drives their car daily, unless you really don't care about having a STIFF ride. If you have never driven in a car with a very stiff suspension, then this is probably not for you. This will chatter your teeth, spill open cans of soda, etc.

Tein is also going to be releasing their SUPER DRIFT damper. Who knows when. This model is extremely stiff, even stiffer than the FLEX in the front, though a tad softer in the rear. It is both height and damping force adjustable. This model I would not want to drive around the street if at all possible. Its going to be very uncomforatable but will be amazing at the track.

Another posative note about Tein is their EDFC. This is a controller than you can mount on the inside of your car, and adjust the damping force(stiffness) of the ride from inside the car. This is especially beneficial to us, the G35/350Z drivers. Because our rear struts do not have a top mount exposed in the trunk like most cars do. The strut tops are enclosed. This means to change the stiffness of your damper, you must have it removed, set and reinstalled. However if you use the EDFC, you can adjust it from inside the cabin without removing anything.

There are many other brands of coilovers out there aswell. Just keep in mind for the following coilovers, you cannot adjust the rears when they are in the car. And you cannot have them rebuilt in the USA.

Megan Racing would probably be my recommendation for the driver on a budget, but still wants to track their car once in a while. This coilover can be had for a little bit more than the price of Tein BASIC, but will give you much more adjustability. It is 32-way adjustable, but for the most part is a pretty soft, street oriented coilover. Though on its stiffest setting would provide good performance on the track, it is not a dedicated track coilover.

HKS makes 2 models of coilover for the G35/350Z. RS and LS+ Both of these are probably similar to a combination of all the Tein models wrapped into one. They will both ride stiffer than CS, but softer than BASIC/FLEX/SDF. The comfort level is great for a daily driver, yet on its stiffer settings would provide good track performance. They are in the same price range as CS/FLEX. So IMO these would give a more comfortable ride than FLEX, but probably not as good track performance either. LS+ would be a little more track oriented, in comparison to the RS, but still a comfortable ride.

JIC is usually known to be more of a track coilover. Their website is currently down, so I don't know off the top of my head which models they have availible for us, so I cannot comment on them specifically. But in terms of generalizations, JIC is usually a TAD more expensive than Tein, probably better at the track, but less comfortable for the street.

And finally there is Tanabe Pro-Seven. This is for those where money is no object. These are the most expensive coilovers of the bunch. They are strictly track oriented, with even a super stiff version for those dedicated track drivers. They also have a TEAS controller which can adjust the damping force automatically in relation to speed. This coilover is another one besides Tein that can be adjust remotely if you purchase that extra controller.

So yeah... what is your budgest, and what kind of track use will you be doing? What aspects of these are most important to you?
Plus Rep for that post.

#12 ·
SKRich78 said:
whats up! bout to hook up the G n all but i also wanted to know what coilover system gives the best ride for an 04 coupe, i heard JIC and Tien were good, but i'm sure there are more systems out there??
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Based on what your asking for.

Tein CS or HKS LS. The CS has the advantage of having adjustable dampners and if you wish, the ability to add on and use Tien's EDFC system. The LS+, is not just a adjustable dampning version of the LS, it uses much stiffer valving rates along with stiffer front springs.

Their are other system's, but they will move away from your request for "best ride".

I can't stress enough to not consider the Megan coilover. I reinstalled the test set I was send last year to give them a second chance. Oh well, still not a fan to say the least. Very poor valving, to the point that even softer springs doesn't change things, the frequency where they bounce is just different. They look good on paper, but that's all.

#15 ·
GReddySetGO said:
I would go for LS+ ;)

How much is this system going for around your area? I can order a set for you...
i cant exactly remember the quote that i got or what model it was..but it was from a coworker at the dealership i work at (toyota), this new guy claims that he used to work at stillen, but i will find that quote and pm you...

#17 ·
GReddySetGO said:

Thank you for a great write up... I am considering the Tein Baisc for performance improvements without having to lose too much ride comfort sinceI do take clients out in my G35. The improved performance would help for more spirited driving on street and on mountain roads.

My next thing is to upgrade the brakes without killing my wallet. and a Stillen exhaust.

Thanks you.

#18 ·
SMGLee said:
Thank you for a great write up... I am considering the Tein Baisc for performance improvements without having to lose too much ride comfort sinceI do take clients out in my G35. The improved performance would help for more spirited driving on street and on mountain roads.

My next thing is to upgrade the brakes without killing my wallet. and a Stillen exhaust.

Thanks you.
If you wanna buy Teins, let me know ;)

If you already have Brembos, your brakes should already be more than enough for the track. If you want more, upgrade your pads, and you should be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.