Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

Engine noise

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  trev0006 
#1 ·
After driving for a while, noticed this noise. Is it normal?:confused:
2011 G37xs 3000 miles. thanks

#5 ·
On my VQ in the Murano, it only was noticed at idle on a warm engine.
I could hear nothing at speed but when at idle, it was very noticeable in the cab. Constant tapping like an old worn out Chevy pick up.

The culprit was the damper which looked like a small brass colored cylinder.
Probably 3 or 4 times the size of a sewing thimble. It was way back near the firewall and it was shot. The Nissan tech was a smart dude, had a metal stethoscope and put it on the damper and had me listen. Sure enough, loud tap sounds from it. Not saying it is what you have but something to look at if it produces this tap-tap sounds at idle on a warm engine.

#6 ·
Greatly appreciated. I can't hear anything in the cab during driving or at idle. It is just after pop up the hood, i can hear it. Also, with cold start, then rev to 3000 after reach operating temp can't produce that noise. It is only after driving for a while. Stethoscope, that's a good idea. Hope the tech at the dealer is smart and experienced.

#7 ·
UPDATE:
After driving for a while to reproduce the noise which can only be heard at idle, I restart the engine, the noise is gone. Someone said it was VVEL knocking, there is a TSB for it to update ECU/ECM, but that was for 2008 model. Mine is 2011 with 3000 miles:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.