Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

G37S 7 speed automatic transmission feedback

40K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  satan 
#1 ·
I just purchased a new 2009 G37S coupe with 7 speed automatic transmission. I guess I didn't pay attention during the test drive, but after I purchased the vehicle and drove it home I have to say that the transmission is a tad annoying at times. I'm coming from a 5 speed AT 2005 G35 coupe, so maybe I'm not familiar with how a 7 speed works. My complaint is:

When in stop and go rush hour traffic, when I am doing 25 mph and then have to take my foot of the accelerator because traffic ahead has stopped, often the transmission will BRAKE the vehicle (almost as if I was in a manual transmission and was downshifting gears). The same is true if I am simply decelerating from 25 mph to a rolling stop (no brake pedal, just taking my foot off the gas and coasting). In my old 2005, when I took my foot off the accelerator, the vehicle simply coasted, effortlessly, with no jerking, no interference. But the G37S definitely has the transmission interrupting the deceleration experience. I've noticed that the RPM increases when this happens. During the decel I'll be at 2100 RPM, then 1800, then 1600, then I'll be at 1400 RPM and then the tach jumps to 1800 RPM and the downshift then occurs and the "engine braking feeling" is experienced.

Is this normal for a G37 7 speed auto transmission?

Thanks.

Phil

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sorry for the slow reply... I have dial-up (HA!:D)
I just don't get over here as often as I should.

The way the 7spd was explained to me, is that now that it's a 7spd instead of 6spd, what they did was put in a 1st gear that is for hard accel, and if you just lightly accelerate, then it'll actually start out in 2nd gear. Overall, it has shorter gear ratios in 1st - 4th gears, than the previous gen 'G'
*Much the way the highest gear is an overdrive, 1st gear on the G37 is an 'undergear' for that quick jump from the start* - or something like that!!

When it's decelerating, it'll use the 1st gear for the exact reason you don't like it, to slow the car down. Now -- I'm not sure if it uses 2nd on soft starts, but I don't know why it uses it when it's slowing. I agree with you on it being annoying, I keep mine in the 'sport mode'. It won't go to 1st until right before it stops, and it decels better in sport mode. But I can see using that mode would become quite annoying in rush hour traffic.

#3 ·
Sorry for the slow reply... I have dial-up (HA!:D)
I just don't get over here as often as I should.

The way the 7spd was explained to me, is that now that it's a 7spd instead of 6spd, what they did was put in a 1st gear that is for hard accel, and if you just lightly accelerate, then it'll actually start out in 2nd gear. Overall, it has shorter gear ratios in 1st - 4th gears, than the previous gen 'G'
*Much the way the highest gear is an overdrive, 1st gear on the G37 is an 'undergear' for that quick jump from the start* - or something like that!!

When it's decelerating, it'll use the 1st gear for the exact reason you don't like it, to slow the car down. Now -- I'm not sure if it uses 2nd on soft starts, but I don't know why it uses it when it's slowing. I agree with you on it being annoying, I keep mine in the 'sport mode'. It won't go to 1st until right before it stops, and it decels better in sport mode. But I can see using that mode would become quite annoying in rush hour traffic.
correction: should be 5spd :)

#6 ·
Is this normal for a G37 7 speed auto transmission?

Thanks.

Phil
Phil, it's normal. I've had 3 G37 loaners from the dealer over the past year, and they all did that. The transmission grab is even more pronounced under light braking (i.e. coming to a stop) because you're already applying some braking force, and then the tranny downshifts and brakes for you even more...giving folks in the car a slight jolt. It's really annoying IMO.

If I were you, I'd try to trade it in for a 6MT. :cool:

#8 ·
Thanks for explaining G37's 7-speed A/T. I've haven't driven one yet, but a dealer told me "7-speed is all about saving gas, and I'd really enjoy it." I replied "seems like a waste with A/T." Then I told him I was looking for a low mileage used G37 Coupe, and he couldn't wait to tell me about the one he had w/7-speed A/T and a Navigation System. I laughed, because I've never owned a Thomas Guide. Then I told him that what I really wanted was a G37 coupe w/manual transmission, low mileage, and any color but white. I am currently driving a 2002 Jag S-type, which I bought in 2005 primarily for my 3 Standard Poodles. From 1971 until 2009 my joy ride was Z cars. The new Zs will not accommodate Standard Poodles because of the rollbar, but the G37 Coupe with backseat will. Any other advice about the G37 Coupe will be appreciated with or w/o 7-speed A/T. Hopw to hear from you. Jane

#9 ·
Hey Jane ... good call on the thinking about staying with the MT.
I may be jumping to conclusions but that salesman might think the auto trans is gender based.
Glad you didn't let him go there. Sales professionals are usually good listeners - even if they are bad sales people.
I just happened on this subject and didn't previously know of the 7-AT characteristic. Just from the common descriptions of others, I know for sure I'd not want one with that as a trait. Good luck with your search.
My guess is you'll find the G coupe to be tight and responsive compared to the S-type or similar size platforms .. .. and it only further begs to be pushed into spirited driving.
Something the AT owners can still do, just differently. :)

#10 ·
Thanks Bachman. Car salespersons like mechanics often misjudge women ... well ... me. I am car salespersons worst nightmare, because I know what I want for how much. Have no problem making a "take it or leave it" offer, and walking out. Never fails to elicit a phone call within 24 hours. Either tomorrow or Thurs. I will test drive the 7-speed A/T for the experience. I'll give you report after test drive. Stay tuned.

#12 ·
I have a very similar complaint, but about accelerating. right around 30-35 mph the gear ratio is really long and I have to really press the gas down to make the jump to around 35-40 in speed, otherwise the gears do a really slow increase.

If I keep it in sport mode it doesn't do that.

just annoying to me, but I feel everyone's pain regarding the deceleration too.

I just had to vent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.