Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

really hard gear change from 2nd to 3rd (automatic transmission)

19K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  frankverheij 
#1 ·
i have had the car for roughly 2 weeks now (600 miles) and everytime i shift from 2nd to 3rd (tiptronic mode) at any RPM over 4K, the tranny changes the gears very hard. you can easily feel it everytime, and everyone who has sat in my car has noticed without me saying anything about it. so the question i have is will this go away after the break in period or am i going to have to go to the dealership to have warranty repair??

#2 ·
change gears earlier unless youre racing someone, and try to keep it under 4000 RPM until about 1500 miles there!

same thing happened to me on my auto g35, unless you change around 3000 or like 5500+ it was like that. just depends on how hard you are pushing the gas and the speed you are at.

#3 ·
I got over 3k on my g37 and mine still does that too its not everytime and seems to be only at certain rpm range but ya it pisses me off to i am going to bring it in soon to see what they say and ill let you know. I think if im spending over 40k on a car every shift should be smooth no matter the rpm or speed.

#4 ·
I just had a 2007 G35 sedan as a loaner car from tustin infiniti and I experienced the same thing. A really hard and fairly jarring feeling switching between 2nd and 3rd gears...even if you were driving the car smoothly (feather footing it), the feeling was the same..

perhaps something wrong w/ AT...6MT is all driver dependent..LOL

#7 ·
%At Tranny Changed after 2nd to 3rd thump issue at dealership

I have a 05 G35 sedan 5AT and just like alot of G35 drivers have had the issue where your car will have a thump or harsh shift from 2nd to 3rd gear in tiptronic mode...My drive train warranty wass almost up and so I took my G35 to My local Lokey Infiniti Dealership with only around 400 minles until 70,000 miles and they said that either way I had to have a trans flush which was 300 dollars...well ok I said and here it is and I had about 50 miles untill my warranty was up and I made an apt. with the dealership and the head tech drove with me again and felt it well they we kinda laughing b/c I only had 30 miles until the warranty was up b/c I had to ofcourse drive to the dealership but they went ahead and said they were going to replace the transmission...I stated that I have seen many of G35 drivers with the same issue and took my laptop to the dealship to show them the saved web pages with the posts but that was just alittle push I think for them to say ok for the replacment...well they have to order it and said it would be in next week and would take like a day to install and that they would give me a loaner for the day...I am so happy and the 300 dollar trans flush was well worth it and they said it had to be done anyways b/c it is preventitive maintanace....well I just wanted to let everyone know that they are willing to fix the issue but I think anyone that has this problem should go to Infiniti and state that they have read and seen alot of people online with the same problem b/c I think that really pushed them to do the replacment...05obsidianG35

#8 ·
Def have the dealer check it! I also have that problem though, but I notice if I don't step on the gas that hard and change gear(tip tronic) it wont make that bang rough sound. But if I step on the gas hard and shift before 4krpm or 4krpm it is rough. Next time try to shift 4500k RPM and no rough shift.

#9 ·
I have the same problem with my 2008 G37S with the 5 speed auto gear box.There is a very loud noise when changing from 2nd to 3rd when the car is being driven hard.(using paddle shifters).Almost as if the gear ratios do not suit the engine.See that the 2009 model has the 7 speed gear box.I feel that i have been short changed.What to do? Has anybody else manged to solve this problem. Car has 32,000kms on the clock and worrried about driving in "manual" mode.

#10 ·
Did post this morning. I have the same car and exactly the same problem.The 5 speed box is spoiling the whole driving experience and wonder about infiniti changing to the 7 speed box so early - 2009 model. Have you had any success with the dealer? I have now done 32,000 kms and the problem is still persisting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.