Infiniti G35 G37 Forum banner

Crazy quote

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  edjunior 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Got this crazy quote for repair on my '03 G35:

:surprise::surprise:Rack Pinion leaking from right side boot - $11,307.08:surprise::surprise:

I realize these are good cars, but really? Are they using space shuttle parts here?

A couple of other "findings"

Right front low control arm bushing broken, recommend low control arm - $644.32
Rear differential axle seal leaking (right side) - $396.27

Those last two are at least somewhat reasonable. If I had all this work done at the dealer, it would be 3 times what I paid for the car to begin with. So I respectfully declined (actually I think I guffawed at them).

So the question...if I decide to pursue fixing this stuff, especially the rack pinion, what should I expect at any normal local mechanic for something like this. What parts are involved in that $11K quote?

Just a side note, my dealer is awesome, and usually reasonable, but this is just a bit on the crazy side.

See less See more
#5 ·
Don't know what the dealer is thinking giving you such a crazy quote - they think people will just straight up pay for that or something? Best bet is to check out with your local workshops and do a bit of sleuthing online to see if you can get the parts cheaper on your own.

#6 ·
I'd just check parts costs and come up with an average then add typical labor per hr and I'll bet you'll come up with a number that makes more sense. Compare that to other bids you get or call a dealer and they can tell you book time for labor on that if not give you a quote as well.

How any of that will make sense of the quote in question, I do not know.

$11,307.08 could be sloppy typing for $1103.00 or $1307.00. Maybe that falls more in line with a quote you will get for parts or parts and labor.

#8 ·
It's entirely possible it's a typo. But they did not act like it was. No matter, it's not getting done. At least by them anyway. And not right now. The car rides and drives fine. Just a little noisy over the potholes. Unfortunately, there's more of them than I care for.

I will say the oil leaks that were fixed sure helped on the oil consumption. So far I've had 3 fill-ups, and the oil level is barely under the full mark. It used to use a quart about every 3 - 4 fill-ups. Then right before I took it in, it used a quart every fill-up. So getting those leaks fixed was worth the extra I paid the dealer to do it.

#9 ·
I'm glad your oil use was truly leaks and not the motor. I'm using about a half quart in my Mazda every 400 miles or so. Not cost prohibitive or anything but def some oil going through it. It's the MazdaSpeed turbo 4 they put in the crossover and those motors have had some untimely history with VVT issues, sludge in the motor and Mazda not really standing behind them very well. Apparently there is an oil migration problem that can happen even though owners have solid records on service history and LOF etc.... I've heard some fixes as a new motor running upward of $8000.
I waited til mine got close to the end of it's warranty and got a $2200 job done on the timing chain that was starting to make noise. I figured the longer I waited, the longer my new work would be under warranty. I will just keep a close eye on oil levels and buy our time until we decide what we want next or it's dependability seems in question. I'm liking the Toyota Highlander for something to consider as pre-owned but my wife will be the one calling the shots on her daily driver.

#12 ·
Most of my DIY projects are inside the house.

Monday, it was some trim painting and touch-up and a DIY dinner of eggs, bacon, toast and OJ.

:grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.